Nothing I do lets me share files on my wireless network

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’ve followed instructions and watched tutorials, and yet nothing I do lets my new computer see my old computer on my wireless network. I’m using an Amazon Eero mesh network. Both computers are on the network. What could be going wrong?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Which version(s) of Windows are you using on the machines? Are both wireless? Are there any wired machines, and if so, do they have the same problem?

Windows tends to have some issues with wireless networks, and these can be caused by anything from the wrong Services loading (or loading in the wrong order), to Windows waking from sleep before the Wi-Fi transceiver does...to, well...gremlins.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:59 am Which version(s) of Windows are you using on the machines? Are both wireless? Are there any wired machines, and if so, do they have the same problem?

Windows tends to have some issues with wireless networks, and these can be caused by anything from the wrong Services loading (or loading in the wrong order), to Windows waking from sleep before the Wi-Fi transceiver does...to, well...gremlins.

Steve
Windows 10 Home, latest build. I’m connecting though a eero mesh network. I couldn’t find anything in the eero settings that might disable sharing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:14 am
planetearth wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:59 am Which version(s) of Windows are you using on the machines? Are both wireless? Are there any wired machines, and if so, do they have the same problem?

Steve
Windows 10 Home, latest build. I’m connecting though a eero mesh network. I couldn’t find anything in the eero settings that might disable sharing.
There won't be anything like that on the WLAN -- at least, not enabled by default (or even by accident, unless you really work at it). The option to make sharing more difficult is within Win10 -- and it used to keep getting enabled again with each upgrade. But if you go into "Sharing options" in "Network and Internet settings", is everything enabled for file and printer sharing, and are all the computers on the same "private" network?

Do all the computers have the same IP address range? Can you "ping" the other computers from each other? And are there any wired machines on the network?

Steve

EDIT: Also, does Windows' own troubleshooter find any issues? It's usually of no help at all, but if the Services required for file and printer sharing or network discovery aren't running, it can tell you that, at least.
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Just a side note: this feature is inherently insecure, so MS makes it difficult to use. Using a USB memory stick, hard disk or a SD card is the easy fail-safe way. And cheap. But more of a hassle indeed...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”