Need some suggestions for good 80s sounds. (Also good discussion on 80s music too)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
KVRAF
33060 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Wed May 05, 2021 11:56 am

George Martin = very good
Ted Templeton = overrated
I hate Brian Eno.
I hate Butch (Vig) Cassidy
Not a fan' of Cocaine
Hi-de-Hi!

KVRAF
6636 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Wed May 05, 2021 12:24 pm

planetearth wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:13 pm
In the US, Crowded House was "an '80s band" -- and not in a bad way.
Yeah, I definitely agree with this. They peaked in popularity in the mid/late 80s here in the States with the debut album, less with Temple of Low Men, even less with Woodface, etc..... Split Enz definitely seemed like an (early) 80s band here as well. On a side note, love the Finn bros, too. Talk about a pile of talent!

KVRAF
2338 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Thu May 06, 2021 5:30 am

KVRian
941 posts since 9 Jul, 2014 from UK

Post Fri May 07, 2021 2:12 pm

For authentic 80’s synth music, look no further than Dare by Human League. An absolute masterpiece. Synths, Linn Drum and sequencer. Wiki has a good rundown on the album including instruments used. The producer Martin Rushent, RIP, was an absolute craftsman. 👍

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dare_(album)
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

KVRAF
5330 posts since 24 May, 2002 from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Post Fri May 07, 2021 2:45 pm

I really got into the earlier Human League stuff that seemed to be a bit more centred around the synths rather than a catchy tune - the first 2 albums were very good, I remember playing them lots late at night after several spliffs. but they pretty quickly went into what I can only call pure mainstream pop. Cheesey too. It's like they were innovators for about 30 seconds.

Obviously the money was in pop, so I can't knock them for it, and I have to admit I never liked Oakey's voice. Heaven17 had the better vocalist IMO, but they too opted for pure pop pretty quickly. But Heaven17 did the pop thing with far more class IMO...

KVRAF
5330 posts since 24 May, 2002 from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Post Fri May 07, 2021 3:02 pm

And the 80s was quite a good decade for goth stuff too. I remember being very taken with Love & Rockets at one point, and even dabbled a little into Sisters of Mercy and all that corny dressed-in-black stuff. I looked great in mascara, have to say. But it definitely lacked a little in glamour. So many goths seemed to be in a competition for who can be the most miserable/depressed, which is why I didn't last long with it - I wanted fun at the time. Doesn't seem to have changed much. And the indie scene had some very good bands

Chameleons. What more can I say? Despite being an electronic fan, I still think they were one of the greatest guitar bands of all time. They made the biggest wall of swirling-around sound I think I ever heard live, and I saw most of the big stadium-filler bands in the 80s at some point. :band:

KVRAF
6316 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Fri May 07, 2021 6:27 pm

Though technically a "70s" band, XTC was pretty much played in my house throughout the 80s. Oingo Boingo often played as well.
I also remember the Thrall brothers raving about the George Michael album being the "most perfect mix" they ever heard to me. Hard convinced, but ultimately decided it was probably one of the best as well.

KVRian
741 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Fri May 07, 2021 11:51 pm

kritikon wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:02 pm
Chameleons. What more can I say? Despite being an electronic fan, I still think they were one of the greatest guitar bands of all time. They made the biggest wall of swirling-around sound I think I ever heard live, and I saw most of the big stadium-filler bands in the 80s at some point. :band:
The Chameleons are one of the most underrated bands of all time, and one of my all time favourites as well. I had the pleasure of meeting Mark Burgess once. "In Shreds" is a masterpiece, as is the instrumental 2nd movement of "View From a Hill."

And they aren't totally without synths. What Does Anything Mean? Basically is drenched in Solina.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”