IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

No patch memory makes it a door-stop. I had a real Mono/Poly in 1982. It sounded great but it was ultimately useless and I sold it so I could buy a DX9. A synth with that level of complexity absolutely has to have patch memory to be useful in a modern set-up. Otherwise it's just a toy.
AdvancedFollower wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:29 pm (e.g. I'd have liked a Subsequent 37 instead of my SE-02, but since the SE-02 also sounds really good and has a similar feature set, I was willing to compromise on the user interface to save some money).
That's more about value than price, though. If SE-02 sounded awful, you wouldn't have bought it just because it was in your price range. Price is a factor, for sure, but it's not the sole arbiter of what you end up with. I once went into a car dealership to buy a new $30,000 Fiat can came out with a $70,000 Alfa Romeo (which I only paid $50k for). It wasn't within my budget but I was able to stretch my budget to get what I really wanted.

To put it another way, price is only becomes a factor after all other criteria have been met.
Different people can, depending on their life situation, afford to spend different amounts on luxury items like synthesizers. For some, it makes no real difference to their personal finances whether they get a $150 UNO or a $8,500 Moog One, so they can focus purely on what they want/need without considering the price.
In the time since I placed my pre-order for an Uno Pro Desktop, I could definitely have saved up enough for a Moog One, I just don't see why I would want to spend that kind of money when I don't have to. Realistically, though, my no. 1 priority is size/space. Whatever I buy has to be portable enough that I can fly overseas with it and not incur excess baggage charges. In 2005 that was a Line6 KB37 controller in my check-in luggage and an Alesis Micron with my carry-on luggage. In 2017 it was a Korg Monologue in my check in, plus Waldorf Rocket, KeyStep and a laptop in my carry-on bag. Next time we play overseas, it will probably be Uno, Uno Pro, Seaboard Blocks and a Surface Pro in a carry-on Pelican case, complete with USB audio I/O, all PSUs, cables, etc. Although I am contemplating a MicroFreak, which would probably fit in the Pelican case with the rest.
For others, even a difference of $250 can mean spending many additional months saving up, postponing other purchases (such as other additional synths) etc.
Which is probably what most of us do, don't you think? Or has every single thing you've ever bought been on a whim?
It's the reason most consumer goods markets are divided into segments based on price brackets. There are luxury cars and cheap cars, expensive computers and cheap computers, headphones that cost anywhere from $20 to thousands, even expensive and cheap houses. It's how the consumer goods market works.
Except that's not really how they are segmented. They are mostly consumer grade, prosumer and professional, split according to what you are willing to spend, what you can justify, as opposed to what you can afford. Yes, there will be some consumers who buy professional stuff because they can - just look at all the idiots who pay through the nose for a Mac - but mostly it's split along the lines of what a customer is willing to spend and features are added accordingly. e.g. Expensive headphones sound better, they don't just make them with leather instead of plastic and charge a premium for rich people.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

perpetual3 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:57 amSome people may never feel that a synth is “worth it” above a certain price.
I think that's only true because of the synths they can get for less. If Pro 3 was the cheapest hardware synth money could buy and you wanted a hardware synth, you'd find a way to get that money together, just like we did in the 80s and 90s. But for me, I see no value in a Pro 3 because I can get Uno Synth for one-tenth the price or Minilogue for one-fifth. So your perception of value is skewed by the market. But there is no way I'd buy a Volca if I couldn't afford a Monologue, I'd save up for it or put it on my credit card or something.
chaocrator wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:19 pmbut i got 3 NTS-1 units, even despite they don't have proper line out, just like Volca.
Why? I wouldn't even waste my money on those things for a child. I learned my lesson when I bought an ElectroHarmonix Mini Synthesizer in the 80s.
chk071 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:57 pmE.g., the UNO's envelopes seem a bit slow (I love snappy, fast envleopes), and, it'd also be nice to have a self-oscillating filter.
I am almost certain the envelopes in Uno Pro are snappier than the original. The plucks sound a lot snappier, for sure. I don't have the first clue why you would want it, but Uno Pro's second filter is capable of self-oscillation, too. So you should definitely save up for it if you are looking to buy anything.
SLiC wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:16 pmgreat to sit on a sofa and work with a small set up, but also good to have a 'standing' set up as I am sat in front of a computer most of the day for my 'day job'!
Better with a laptop in your lap, with a Seaboard Blocks sitting on the palm-rest/trackpad. That's how I was working when I was on holidays a few weeks ago. Just a lightweight audio cable from the headphone jack to my Infinity One speaker (it's BlueTooth is krap).
chk071 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:22 pmIt seems like there are artefacts/noise when the volume knob in the upper right isn't turned to 100%. It's criticized here: https://www.amazona.de/test-ik-multimed ... nthesizer/ (scroll to "Sound des UNO Synth", you can also hear it in the "TB-Sound" sound example).
I just listened to it and I couldn't hear anything over the sound of the a/c in the office. I doubt it's audible at all. But you will definitely get all kinds of noise if you plug it into USB. Very low level but there all the same. I run both mine from USB at home but on stage I will definitely have a fresh set of batteries for Uno and a fully charged powerbank for Uno Pro. In the unlikely event I need to sequence either, I'll use MIDI. But that's just what happens when you use hardware. It's inevitable. Analog Keys is way, way worse, although Rocket and Ultranova don't do it at all.
Last edited by BONES on Sat May 08, 2021 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:04 am
chaocrator wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:19 pmbut i got 3 NTS-1 units, even despite they don't have proper line out, just like Volca.
Why? I wouldn't even waste my money on those things for a child. I learned my lesson when I bought an ElectroHarmonix Mini Synthesizer in the 80s.
i use them as effect boxes on my analog mono synths (because the latter don't have built-in effects).
NTS-1 has 3 effect slots and MIDI control for 3 most important parameters of each slot.
so it's no-brainer for the price.
the only comparable pedals are Zoom MS series — but they officially don't have MIDI control and require extra DIY box if you want to use their unofficial MIDI capabilities anyway.
other multieffect units i'm aware of are either way bigger or way more expensive.

BONES wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:04 am. I don't have the first clue why you would want it, but Uno Pro's second oscillator is capable of self-oscillation, too.
what?

I said "filter", you just heard it wrong. Go back and check if you don't believe me.
chaocrator wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:31 ami use them as effect boxes on my analog mono synths (because the latter don't have built-in effects).
NTS-1 has 3 effect slots and MIDI control for 3 most important parameters of each slot.
so it's no-brainer for the price.
Really? I haven't been desperate enough to use a guitar pedal on a synth since about 1985. Interestingly, though, the first pedal effect I did buy was also a DIY like the NTS-1. I just watched Nick Batt's video on the NTS-1 and there is a lot more to it than I thought. He also gets some really nice sounds from it. It's actually quite tempting at Au$164, mostly for the submarine reverb. Just listen to the sound after this point in the video (from about 21:30) -
https://youtu.be/v0EywFUuziE?t=1310
Thanks for the tip!

BONES wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:30 am mostly for the submarine reverb.
one of my favorites :D
but my absolute favorite is this one:
https://vimeo.com/401651607

BONES wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:30 am I said "filter", you just heard it wrong. Go back and check if you don't believe me.
my bad :hihi:

Damn you all, I just ordered an NTS-1!!!!!!!!!!!
(UK Amazon Prime £82...its raining all weekend again....sod it!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yeah, I'm right f**king with you - going to go to my local music shop in the morning to get one. That distortion was the last f**king straw!

WARNING! Could be a whole new hardware ecosystem to take even more money ;-)
Seriously, the fact that there are so many 3rd party fx and synths for this little thing just makes it better IMHO!

https://www.sinevibes.com/korg/

That cloud reverb is also very nice :-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Luckily for my wallet my audio interface is full.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:03 am Luckily for my wallet my audio interface is full.
Will go in series with a synths as fx, no need for another input :wink:

SLiC wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:44 am
revvy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:03 am Luckily for my wallet my audio interface is full.
maybe he meant the uno? :shrug:

SLiC wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:36 am WARNING! Could be a whole new hardware ecosystem to take even more money ;-)
https://www.sinevibes.com/korg/
i already got all Sinevibes plugins for Korg — they are awesome.

can't wait future release of Drumlogue.

vurt wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:51 am
SLiC wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:44 am
maybe he meant the uno? :shrug:
Nope, the Korg.

How does that work then? I have some modules connected via USB and Nord Wave with (audio and) DIN MIDI in / out to my MOTU.
Last edited by revvy on Sat May 08, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”