IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

revvy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:16 pm
vurt wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:51 am
SLiC wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:44 am
revvy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:03 am Luckily for my wallet my audio interface is full.
Will go in series with a synths as fx, no need for another input :wink:
maybe he meant the uno? :shrug:
Nope, the Korg.

How does that work then? I have some modules connected via USB and Nord Wave with (audio and) DIN MIDI in / out.
ah, well in that case, the korg is an fx unit. so like your bass pedals between instrument and input :)
so don't need an extra input in the audio interface.

Don't forget the UNO has he built-in audio input for daisy chaining other external audio device so you could use the NTS1 as a 3rd oscillator if you plug in in to the UNO audio in with no extra interface! Midi connection to the NTS1 by the 2.5mm TRS, play with USB Midi job done!

Disclaimer- I have personally never used the audio in and can't remember if it has any controls for internal mixing/filter or is just a pass through
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Thing is, with the effects in the NTS-1, you'd want it at the end of the daisy chain, not the start, so you should be playing the Uno through the NTS-1.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:58 pm Thing is, with the effects in the NTS-1, you'd want it at the end of the daisy chain, not the start, so you should be playing the Uno through the NTS-1.
NTS-1 can also function as an oscillator. Lots of interesting digital oscillators in addition to effects.

perpetual3 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:02 pm
BONES wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:58 pm Thing is, with the effects in the NTS-1, you'd want it at the end of the daisy chain, not the start, so you should be playing the Uno through the NTS-1.
NTS-1 can also function as an oscillator. Lots of interesting digital oscillators in addition to effects.
Yeh, some of them are 'really' good, why bother daisy chaining an UNO DRUM!

https://vimeo.com/427477816

2 (UNO) Analogue Oscillators and 1 Digital Osc...sound familiar ;-)
UNO + NTS1 under £200 UK!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Normal Oscillators!

https://youtu.be/lJoIYRws9WI

Oh, and as we were saying every hardware synths should have a VST editor....

https://korg-nts-1-editor-soundbank.jim ... com/#link1

https://youtu.be/kTxXZHVAQ_Q

I hadn't realised when I ordered its x3 'stereo' fx! :clap: So ideal after a mono synth AND as a 3rd digital oscillator...I didn't know I wanted one when I woke up this morning, now I want 2 :clown:

vurt wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:19 pm
revvy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:16 pm
vurt wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:51 am
SLiC wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:44 am
revvy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:03 am Luckily for my wallet my audio interface is full.
Will go in series with a synths as fx, no need for another input :wink:
maybe he meant the uno? :shrug:
Nope, the Korg.

How does that work then? I have some modules connected via USB and Nord Wave with (audio and) DIN MIDI in / out.
ah, well in that case, the korg is an fx unit. so like your bass pedals between instrument and input :)
so don't need an extra input in the audio interface.
Still not totally feeling how this works and I have downloaded the manual.

I thought it was a synth with audio in that has FX you can use for external synths?

I've got a Pulse 2 (USB to Mac), Electribe (USB to Mac) , Mic, Nord (Midi In/Out to MOTU) all going into audio in my MOTU. What extra connections would I make to get the Korg on board?

( I guess this should go into another thread, but at least this isn't an 'official' IK thread)
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

well either just a cable or two for stereo. as fx.

or one or two again as input, the electribe has audio in?
mine does, the drum machine, so you could get a rythymic gate on the synth side of the nts. (depends which electribe i guess)

Electribe Sampler 2, has audio input.

But if I'm not connecting the Korg headphone out to my MOTU I still won't hear the synth engine of the Korg, right? You guys are just taking about using it as an FX...?
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:30 pm Electribe Sampler 2, has audio input.

But if I'm not connecting the Korg headphone out to my MOTU I still won't hear the synth engine of the Korg, right? You guys are just taking about using it as an FX...?
Yes, you can plug something in to the NTS audio in and use it just as FX, the steario output being heard through the NTS headphone jack (stereo out) that can be plugged in your MOTU- you are using it just like a guitar FX peal that way. The oscillator will only sound if you play something in to the NTS I assume. I don't know the internal routing yet (should download instructions, comes Monday ;-)) so I am not sure exactly how it works, for example I am not sure if the audio in is just through fx or fx and filter etc.

SLiC wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:05 pm

Yes, you can plug something in to the NTS audio in and use it just as FX, the steario output being heard through the NTS headphone jack (stereo out) that can be plugged in your MOTU- you are using it just like a guitar FX peal that way. The oscillator will only sound if you play something in to the NTS I assume. I don't know the internal routing yet (should download instructions, comes Monday ;-)) so I am not sure exactly how it works, for example I am not sure if the audio in is just through fx or fx and filter etc.
When you get one please post in the deducted thread or start a new one, I'd be interested to hear.

revvy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:14 pm
SLiC wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:05 pm

When you get one please post in the deducted thread or start a new one, I'd be interested to hear.
Yup- no worries- I haven't checked there may already be a NTS-1 thread.
I think BONES was going top trot and get one today- he may beat me to it :-)

My local doesn't have one, I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning. But I'll grab it on the way to work so I won't get to play with until I get home. Still, time zones should get me in ahead of you. If I order one on line, I won't get it for a week.
perpetual3 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:02 pmNTS-1 can also function as an oscillator. Lots of interesting digital oscillators in addition to effects.
Sure but Uno already has two oscillators, what it lacks is effects. I also assume you can still use the NTS-1's oscillator with audio in, so it's still there to be used.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

There wasn't much buzz on KVR about the NTS-1 (must have been why I missed it ;-)) but there is a thread so I will make future posts on the NTS here: viewtopic.php?t=531280

BONES wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:04 am
chk071 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:22 pmIt seems like there are artefacts/noise when the volume knob in the upper right isn't turned to 100%. It's criticized here: https://www.amazona.de/test-ik-multimed ... nthesizer/ (scroll to "Sound des UNO Synth", you can also hear it in the "TB-Sound" sound example).
I just listened to it and I couldn't hear anything over the sound of the a/c in the office. I doubt it's audible at all. But you will definitely get all kinds of noise if you plug it into USB. Very low level but there all the same. I run both mine from USB at home but on stage I will definitely have a fresh set of batteries for Uno and a fully charged powerbank for Uno Pro. In the unlikely event I need to sequence either, I'll use MIDI. But that's just what happens when you use hardware. It's inevitable. Analog Keys is way, way worse, although Rocket and Ultranova don't do it at all.
Ok. Hmm... all those quirks you have to consider when using hardware. :) In the box is really easy peasy and completely issue free compared. Guess that's why so many switched to in the box...

Still thinking about getting the UNO, just for a bit of fun. Seems like a fun machine, I like the sound, and I also like the DAW integration.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”