2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:12 pm For some reason I have yet to be sold on the Mimeophon. I think maybe I am tired of delays, even the fancy analog BBD delays that have been and are coming up lately. Not really doing anything for me. I like filters and unusual stuff.
Well, as a self confessing certifiable delay/reverb whore, even I am not moved by the seemingly nostalgic reverence surrounding much of the BBD (insert "special chip" number here) resurgence/deluge. I don't have or feel the need to have any of them, except the Dreadbox Nostalgia (ironically) with my getting the Echophon (x2), which does so much more than just delays.

Likewise, I don't think of or use Mimeophon as a delay per se, but as a 'Multiple-Time-Buffered' looper, that can semi-freeze and stretch sounds, which slowly evolve/devolve in a deliberate (or selectively random) manner. Much more akin to 'granular' waveform 'scrubbing'. [2c]
pekbro wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:12 pm Still, it's super cool and my disinterest in it is disappointing somehow. :shrug:
Don't tell anyone, but that's how I feel about Morphagene. I think in large part because most of the demos I've heard since it was introduced, are not unlike most of the Clouds and Rings, and Rings into Clouds demos. The more you hear them, the more they start to sound the same, seemingly regardless of what they were being 'fed' as source material. And though that may sound cool, it makes it appear that the device is very limited, even though you know there is more to it. Unless you experience that yourself, the evidence is severely lacking.

There certainly are several features of Morphagene that really appeal to me, but just not 'enough' to compel me to get one, especially considering that I do have a Bitbox 1010 (v1) for samples/granular, and recording/playback.

The price is also a big factor for me. :shrug:
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Sun May 09, 2021 5:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

yeah i love delays and reverbs too (much) :hihi:
i have bbd, don't need more, there's only so much they can do really (ie one isn't too much different from another)

but i like delays that do different sounding things if you modulate time for example, some break up in a nasty but nice way, others like the mimeophone, do weird shit :o

my only other synthy delay is the dsm feedback, but while nice for some things, doesn't have the lush synth sound that the dual time function allows for on mimeophone :)

(i can do it with other delays, but they then require another triggering module, and are less "tuned" for it so don't have the same sweet spots, although they do have some)

and i also like to chain multiple delays, because that's how i roll! :ud:

imrae wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:38 pm While we're talking Eurorack, I just ordered components for four Nonlinearcircuits modules :hyper:

There was a lot of double-checking but I expect I'll still have messed up something :ud:
:tu:

hopefully you won't have messed anything up!

imrae wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:38 pm While we're talking Eurorack, I just ordered components for four Nonlinearcircuits modules :hyper:

There was a lot of double-checking but I expect I'll still have messed up something :ud:
8) Nonlinearcircuits makes some really intriguing modules. What did you get?
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:28 pm

8) Nonlinearcircuits makes some really intriguing modules. What did you get?
Let's Splosh w/ black/gold panel
Hypster w/ black/gold panel
Divine CMOS
Squid Axon

While I really dig the standard white/gold theme, I'm making some aluminium/black panels for the smaller modules so they match the rest of my case better!

You can easily identify Andrew's designs vs Ian Fritz's, the Hypster uses more different resistor values than the others put together! I recently built a Thomas Henry PAL filter which also had quite a complicated BOM full of carefully-chosen values. It's great to have a CV-controllable allpass/phaser, very interesting process to introduce before waveshaping/distortion.

I also have a cunning plan to use different LED colours for the positive and negative outputs of Let's Splosh. The tricky part will be identifying the corresponding resistors in order to compensate for brightness :scared:

Picked up the 3 tabletop from make noise: 0-coast, 0-ctrl and strega. Really loving them. Next up some mics for drums and monitors (yamaha hs-8)
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:51 pm
pekbro wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:12 pm For some reason I have yet to be sold on the Mimeophon. I think maybe I am tired of delays, even the fancy analog BBD delays that have been and are coming up lately. Not really doing anything for me. I like filters and unusual stuff.
Well, as a self confessing certifiable delay/reverb whore, even I am not moved by the seemingly nostalgic reverence surrounding much of the BBD (insert "special chip" number here) resurgence/deluge. I don't have or feel the need to have any of them.

I quit feeling any need for more delays (except the Dreadbox Nostalgia) with the Echophon (x2). It does so much more than just delays.

Likewise, I don't think of or use Mimeophon as a delay per se, but as a 'Multiple-Time-Buffered' looper, that can semi-freeze and stretch sounds, which slowly evolve/devolve in a deliberate (or selectively random) manner. Much more akin to 'granular' waveform 'scrubbing'. [2c]
pekbro wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:12 pm Still, it's super cool and my disinterest in it is disappointing somehow. :shrug:
Don't tell anyone, but that's how I feel about Morphagene. I think in large part because most of the demos I've heard since it was introduced, are not unlike most of the Clouds and Rings, and Rings into Clouds demos. The more you hear them, the more they start to sound the same. And though that may sound cool, it makes it appear that the device is very limited, even though you know there is more to it. Unless you experience that yourself, the evidence is severely lacking.

There certainly are several features of Morphagene that really appeal to me, but just not 'enough' to compel me to get one, especially considering that I do have a Bitbox 1010 (v1) for samples/granular, and recording/playback.

The price is also a big factor for me. :shrug:
I definitely get all that, tbh the ADDAC112 is the first granular / looper module I had seriously
been interested in. That was mostly about all the cv control over it though, I'm hoping that it
will cover some of the same area that the Morpahgene does actually.

vurt wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:01 pm yeah i love delays and reverbs too (much) :hihi:
i have bbd, don't need more, there's only so much they can do really (ie one isn't too much different from another)

but i like delays that do different sounding things if you modulate time for example, some break up in a nasty but nice way, others like the mimeophone, do weird shit :o

my only other synthy delay is the dsm feedback, but while nice for some things, doesn't have the lush synth sound that the dual time function allows for on mimeophone :)

(i can do it with other delays, but they then require another triggering module, and are less "tuned" for it so don't have the same sweet spots, although they do have some)

and i also like to chain multiple delays, because that's how i roll! :ud:
Heh, I do have 4 eurorack delays already (technically). That might be affecting my interest :dog:

nm

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:20 pm
vurt wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:57 am and data bender :hihi:
Yeeeah, well... there's 'that', {to}. :lol:

The deal with Data Bender was, in that "what does it DO, that I don't already have the ability/capability to do", thing. I have stuff that does a lot if not 'most' of what it does, 2x Aria Scooper, 2x Phonogene, and 2x Echophon. But, the effect it had on (as you pointed out as well) the "melodic" stuff (and several other cool tricks), took it into its own 'must-have' space. (or two). :D 8)

Diggin' the tracks you posted up there ^^^ mimeophone is just so awesome. glad you are enjoying it/inspired by it. Me too. :tu:
:party: data bender arriving tuesday!
if anyone else in the uk is after one, juno have a few left :tu:

paradiddle wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:18 pm Picked up the 3 tabletop from make noise: 0-coast, 0-ctrl and strega. Really loving them. Next up some mics for drums and monitors (yamaha hs-8)
starting to feel like im the only one who didnt get one :cry:
definitely my next purchase (stocks permitting!)

the whole package there, youve got some good noises ahead :ud:

vurt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:43 pm
paradiddle wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:18 pm Picked up the 3 tabletop from make noise: 0-coast, 0-ctrl and strega. Really loving them. Next up some mics for drums and monitors (yamaha hs-8)

I didn't get one. I'm totally winning next month's restraint contest. Does planning out PCBs and front panels for a DIY module count if you already have all of the other parts?
Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun May 09, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:55 pm

I didn't get one. I'm totally winning next month's restraint contest. Doesn't planning out PCBs and front panels for a DIY module count if you already have all of the other parts?
july onwards ill beat you!!!
maybe!! (if no one tempts me with exciting magickal things...)

vurt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:58 pm

I didn't get one. I'm totally winning next month's restraint contest. Does planning out PCBs and front panels for a DIY module count if you already have all of the other parts?
Not going to happen. You have to be that guy who made a killer track with just a D110 and an FB01 to beat me. I can smell you magikal temptation from here! I will be stoic and true, vigilant in my discipline.

Since I lost this month already I'm going to go ahead and pick up that little CMS polyphonic aftertouch keyboard to tie me over until the Osmose comes out, when I will lose again.

ghettosynth wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:08 pm
vurt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:58 pm

Not going to happen. You have to be that guy who made a killer track with just a D110 and an FB01 to beat me. I can smell you magikal temptation from here! I will be stoic and true, vigilant in my discipline.

Since I lost this month already I'm going to go ahead and pick up that little CMS polyphonic aftertouch keyboard to tie me over until the Osmose comes out, when I will lose again.
made a killer track with one snare sample! and a delay.
i can do minimal, i like magickal :ud:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”