BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

thebutler wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:33 pm Thanks for your hard work and these updates.! VST3 is problem free now... where would I place the skins folder, so it gets picked up (VST3 only installed).?
Should be the same folder where you have 'BlueARP.x64.vst3' file, it is all included into zip package

graywolf2004 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:13 am
thebutler wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:33 pm Thanks for your hard work and these updates.! VST3 is problem free now... where would I place the skins folder, so it gets picked up (VST3 only installed).?
Should be the same folder where you have 'BlueARP.x64.vst3' file, it is all included into zip package
Got it..! :tu:
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v12.0.70; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v5.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

graywolf2004 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:37 pm This is the main reason why I took time to bring back Windows XP compatibility.
BlueARP running inside SM Pro V-MACHINE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdX8xXz0zLk
Oleg, thank you for this interesting and inspiring video! May I ask you what Synth1 preset you are using for this demo?

Hi graywolf2004,
thank you for this amazing arp. :)

I don't know if this forum is appropriate for suggestions, so bear with me.
One little thing would be great.
When the input channel is not set to omni, it would be great if there was an option for all other channels to simply pass thru.
For example you got a multichannel midi track and only want to give a rhythm to just one voice.

I don't know if this is already possible. But is seems to me that at the moment all other channels are filtered out.

Hello.
How BlueArp retrieves information needed to sync 0-beat? It's somehow calculated from song beginning or DAWs informs plugin about beat zero of each measure?

This might be general question but issue I had to cope I found when using Reaper.
It is related to "start on Beat 0" mode.

I'm asking because recently I hit an issue when wanted to shorten 4/4 measure to 2/4. I was expecting that after that, next measure will start from beginning of the sequence. Unfortunately BlueArp was continuing to the end of the sequence looping it again at the middle of the measure.

Image bellow is from generic example I made, to visualize the issue. Now I figured it shows Settings page of BlueArp instead of Arp/Main which would me more valuable. But anyway I think the message is clear.

During various experiments I find out, that to achieve what I want, I need to set the measure I want to shorten to some math-based length, depending on BluArp sequence length and its sync timing (1/8, 1/16 etc).

For example in case of 32-steps 1/8-synced sequence which covers two bars the solution looks like that:

Is it something expected? Or is there other way to shorten measure without such "tricks"?
I mean I don't care since I'm amateur, but a need to set 16/4 instead of 2/4 makes me doubt it is most proper approach.

with regards

maxym.srpl wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:32 am Hello.
How BlueArp retrieves information needed to sync 0-beat? It's somehow calculated from song beginning or DAWs informs plugin about beat zero of each measure?

This might be general question but issue I had to cope I found when using Reaper.
It is related to "start on Beat 0" mode.

I'm asking because recently I hit an issue when wanted to shorten 4/4 measure to 2/4. I was expecting that after that, next measure will start from beginning of the sequence. Unfortunately BlueArp was continuing to the end of the sequence looping it again at the middle of the measure.

Image bellow is from generic example I made, to visualize the issue. Now I figured it shows Settings page of BlueArp instead of Arp/Main which would me more valuable. But anyway I think the message is clear.

During various experiments I find out, that to achieve what I want, I need to set the measure I want to shorten to some math-based length, depending on BluArp sequence length and its sync timing (1/8, 1/16 etc).

For example in case of 32-steps 1/8-synced sequence which covers two bars the solution looks like that:

Is it something expected? Or is there other way to shorten measure without such "tricks"?
I mean I don't care since I'm amateur, but a need to set 16/4 instead of 2/4 makes me doubt it is most proper approach.

with regards
With sync = beat 0, BlueARP solely relies on the beat position from host, which is exactly what ExtPos number on the bottom panel shows. It is just a beat position, it knows nothing about which bar is it. And as I see on the screenshot, it keeps incrementing steadily without respect to your shortened bar (it doesn't jump like from 10 to 12). As a workaround, I can suggest
1. Use restart on key. Since your input chords overlap, it will continue. Once you press a new chord after a gap, it will start from the beginning
2. Turn on 'restart chain on switch' and switch chain at the end of your shortened beat. It will start new chain from the beginning

e-musician wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:21 pm Oleg, thank you for this interesting and inspiring video! May I ask you what Synth1 preset you are using for this demo?
I tweaked it from scratch. I don't know how to save patch from inside VFX, so this is the screenshot
Synth1_SSaw.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

graywolf2004 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:48 pm With sync = beat 0, BlueARP solely relies on the beat position from host, which is exactly what ExtPos number on the bottom panel shows. It is just a beat position, it knows nothing about which bar is it. And as I see on the screenshot, it keeps incrementing steadily without respect to your shortened bar (it doesn't jump like from 10 to 12). As a workaround...
Do you know then, why the sequence is not reset on beat 0 of 4th measure (4.0.0) from my the first screenshot (this animated one). I would expect that and as far as I understood you correctly it is how it should work.
Might it be issue with Reaper?

I would like to stick with syncing to beat 0 as it fits my workflow

graywolf2004 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:06 pm I tweaked it from scratch. I don't know how to save patch from inside VFX, so this is the screenshot
Ah, thanks a lot! Much appreciated! :tu:

phreaque wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:04 pm
mountainmaster wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:43 pm When I start playback in Cubase the delay still remains, but I can live with that as long as I know that my final mix will be alright.
Hmm, check [In Quantize] setting, this will be set at 1/16 by default, try to choose [None] which will respond to changes immediately.

Make sure also that the patters (clips?) on Cubase are perfectly sitting on the grid. Any tiny offsetting or shifting will cause a drift and out-of-sync.

Based on that, assuming the arrangement is a standard 4/4 measure, the [Steps] should follow this as well. Like having 15 steps will surely drifts out if the DAW arrangement is 4/4

Try to reduce the [Gate time] to say, 50%

Which finally will lead us to: Either try another preset to see if the timing is tight enough, or send me the your preset so I can check it out.
In Cubase Pro 10.5, I have timing and out sync problems with BlueArp IF using the 'Activate ASIO-Guard' feature in the 'Studio >> Studio Setup'. When disabled, it brings BlueArp to the top-notch timing again.

Also, it BlueArp works well if using the lowest setting for the 'Activate ASIO-Guard' feature in Cubase Pro 10.5.

DigiPRO wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:45 pm
In Cubase Pro 10.5, I have timing and out sync problems with BlueArp IF using the 'Activate ASIO-Guard' feature in the 'Studio >> Studio Setup'. When disabled, it brings BlueArp to the top-notch timing again.

Also, it BlueArp works well if using the lowest setting for the 'Activate ASIO-Guard' feature in Cubase Pro 10.5.
This was discussed on the last few pages of this thread already.
I have the feeling it works better with the vst 3 version, maybe you could try that.
Or exclude bluearp from asio guard in the plugin manager.

rasmusklump wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:51 am
DigiPRO wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:45 pm

This was discussed on the last few pages of this thread already.
I have the feeling it works better with the vst 3 version, maybe you could try that.
Or exclude bluearp from asio guard in the plugin manager.
Sorry, yes, I was unsure if the Cubase 10.5 was also affected. If disabling ASIO-guard it works as it should.

You can excluded bluearp from asio guard without disabling asio guard completely.

FYI Updated manuals v2.3.8 for BlueARP are available on my website:
https://graywolf2004.net/wp/?page_id=35
Updated for:
- English
- Russian
- German (thanks to Jan aka chk071)

PS. Will include them into the next release, v2.3.7 still opens v2.3.2 manual from the menu

graywolf2004 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:15 am
barkdreptha wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:04 pm Restart on key doesn't work for me. It only works the first time a key is pressed, and then IntPos keeps climbing forever after. Using FL Studio. is this a known bug?

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be present in 2.2.10, only 2.2.11
I tested it in 2.2.12, restart on key seems to work correct, arp restarts every time you hit a key/chord. I could miss it in 2.2.11, cause I did a lot of refactorings and could mess some things up.
Hi!
Restart on key neither works for me :(
It should restart on a new chord press, but pushing again the same chord (or pushing another, different one) does not force any restart. Struggling with this issue a version after another, trying to guess if there was any problem with the options I choosed from the settings for the arp behaviour or BlueARP configuration (settings' tab).
I'm on Bitwig Studio, BlueARP v.2.3.7
:help:

Return to “Instruments”