Ableton Tutorial Recommendations

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wasn't sure whether to post this in DAWs or here, but since there might be people getting started in Ableton after 11 came out I'd be interested which tutorials everyone has found useful in learning Ableton? Feel free to recommend both paid and free ones, doesn't really matter. If there are tutorials worth paying for would be cool to have somekind of a listing as well as recommended Youtube-tutorials, books (don't post the Ableton Manual :lol: ) and other resources even for older versions , such as 9 and 10, where newbies could find tips and tricks for it.

I've learned Ableton mostly by using info-window in down-left corner. It's very informative. But also I guess that a good idea is to find an answer to each of your questions on YouTube.

Kadenze. 8)

https://maryspendermasterclass.teachabl ... leton-live

I took this one during the last UK lockdown after finding Rachel’s videos on YouTube. I actually meant to take the one about performing live using Live but thought I’d take the opportunity to brush up as I was defaulting to trying the same things and was stuck in a bit of a rut and struggling to find tutorials that felt relevant. It’s a great one for beginners ($149 I could see the cost being off putting for beginners - i spread the cost over 3 months) and novices, there’s a few things that Rachel mentions that I forgot I knew or took for granted and not revisiting.

Now that I’m getting to the parts on Mixing & Transitions (probably the back 3rd of the course) I’m finding it a lot more useful but still pleased I watched & bought the rest.

There’s probably nothing here that isn’t discussed on other individual YouTube videos (and probably in more depth BUT I often struggle to focus on a lot of tutorials as they are sometimes a bit dry, make assumptions about prior knowledge, take ages to actually start teaching or just go on too long) but I was looking for a full refresh on Live it’s all collated together in short punchy videos without much preamble and are gathered together by topic with downloads.

I’ll be back for the second course.

This guy is probably one of the best when it comes to Ableton. Can really explain it in a way that sinks in immediately.
https://www.youtube.com/c/SeedtoStage/videos

And i also agree with blacklight. Rachel K Collier is legit.

I used the edmprod course, can definitely recommend if you’re just getting started. But pricey, but very convenient to have it all in one coherent place.

Thanks to all the suggestions this far, good stuff! Seed to Stage and RK Collier seemed very nice, those were new to me. Also have checked edmprod at times what they have in general but have never taken any of their tutorials. Agreed that a lot can be learned from Ableton's own resources as well, and from the help within the software.

As far as free learning experiences when I was first starting out I really got a lot of help from You suck at producing, EDM tips and Elphnt. I'd also agree about Seed to Stage!

drumminjon wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:20 pm As far as free learning experiences when I was first starting out I really got a lot of help from You suck at producing, EDM tips and Elphnt. I'd also agree about Seed to Stage!
Thanks for the YSAP tip! Indeed seems really helpful, and I immediately got interested in how the story of Uncle Joe unfolds. :lol:

What's wrong with the manual might I ask? It's comprehensive, well-written with pictures and text searchable so you don't have to read it cover to cover, just dip in and out when needed. There's no adverts and no thumbnails of people pulling stupid faces, to try and grab your attention either :lol: .
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 am What's wrong with the manual might I ask? It's comprehensive, well-written with pictures and text searchable so you don't have to read it cover to cover, just dip in and out when needed. There's no adverts and no thumbnails of people pulling stupid faces, to try and grab your attention either :lol: .
Absolutely nothing wrong with the manual, very useful and well-made! Personally, I like to use both manuals (when well written and documented) and also various/different online resources. With manuals there rarely is the social aspect and something like genre-specific tutorials, etc. Also, this thread was not meant to be a basics-only type of thing, but hoping to discuss different kinds of resources. Similarly as you might find good documentation of, say, a programming language, you also usually benefit from looking at tutorials (excellent example is The Coding Train on Youtube). Some might find him annoying, but for others the guys' channel is an endless goldmine of tips and tricks.

I'm just starting the EDMProd course. Seems good so far. Udemy also has some good course. If they're showing more than like $20 for the price, search for a coupon. They have deals all the time.

I made the mistake of watching video courses lasting several hours teaching how to do everything in a DAW.

You can't remember that much, it's information overload. You lose that time and don't learn much.

I think the best way to learn a DAW is to just learn the absolute basics, and then start producing.

When you get to a point where you don't know how to do something, look for just that thing in a book or tutorial, do it and then go back to producing.

Maybe reading a book one chapter at a time and applying that in practice is another way of learning efficiently.

Yeah, after spending a couple years wasting time watching those "everything you need to know" videos, I have discovered that YSAP, Seed to Stage, and ELPHNT being some of the best. I would say the Seed to Stage course are incredibly worth signing up for.

I would say the discords are essential to be involved in for sharing and feedback. You can ask the mods anything you want, and there's always a handful of highly knowledgeable users hanging about as well.

Also, Mr. Bill has some excellent tutorials and also offers a paid course that seems like it would really be helpful, I'm just already too sunk into the 3 different currently available Seed To Stage courses to take on any more input.
I can't say enough about how well organized the courses that Earthcry/Anthony has put together are. They are incredibly comprehensive and broken into the perfect bite sized videos of 10-20 minutes for specific very detailed tutorials that never overload, they teach you how to fish with each of the different components.
One time fee for each course and you get a subscription for life to any updates he makes to expand the courses.
And he has an excellent Youtube channel which is all free.
I like the challenges these discord groups come up with too.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”