Jesse Gorter - Piano Thread

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All 3 were played by a pianist :)

Jesse Gorter wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:43 pm All 3 were played by a pianist :)
Thanks for the reply... Interesting!

They're all interesting compositions and enjoyable listens, but Wings of Time sounds a little more fluid in the playing style .. Especially noticeable in some of the tempo changes for me.

Different pianist! Different piano... 2 and 3 vsts? They just have a different flow to Wings in many ways.. Not better or worse... Just different.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Jesse Gorter wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:27 pm The ending is quite an adventure, and composition wise, it should not even be in there. The work would be stronger without the 6/8 time.
I would disagree with that opinion. from the perspective of a classical musician, i have to say that it was quite common to use such time-changes. especially in early keyboard music (e.g. frescobaldi, froberger) - but later too. and you even built in a little transition. what one might ask is whether the time proportion ratios are shown effective enough. but in my opinion this is more of a question to the interpreter/player than to the composition. for me the last part offers a clear added value. :tu:
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

tomtom1 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:47 am
Jesse Gorter wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:27 pm The ending is quite an adventure, and composition wise, it should not even be in there. The work would be stronger without the 6/8 time.
I would disagree with that opinion. from the perspective of a classical musician, i have to say that it was quite common to use such time-changes. especially in early keyboard music (e.g. frescobaldi, froberger) - but later too. and you even built in a little transition. what one might ask is whether the time proportion ratios are shown effective enough. but in my opinion this is more of a question to the interpreter/player than to the composition. for me the last part offers a clear added value. :tu:
Yeah, I agree with that assessment...don't knock that ending at all! :) I wrote:
Ending - yeah, the change of time signature could be a little bit more fluid, but it works as a sudden lift to end on!
It's effective, but just stutters a little tiny bit in this performance...can't tell from here without a score whether it was the playing or the written notes at the transition, but i think the ending is a positive little surprise!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

(e.g. frescobaldi, froberger)
Froberger - yep, but I've never heard of frescobaldi...off to look him up! :)

walidantar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:48 am very nice, i like hearing such music, is there a midi recording for it? i'd like to hear it with my vst plugin :)
No but I like to release the sheet music some time :)

seismic1 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:32 am "The Wings of Time"

I recognised this one from a couple of years ago, but it was so pleasant, I listened to it twice more :)

It was nicely played and the change from 4/4 to 6/8 worked quite well, but I think it might work better if you went straight from one to the other, but this may not be an option as it was recorded live.

Good work :)
actually, this was the first one I composed for this upcoming album and I send my pianist a rough midi. He came up with the transition, which I later on transcribed in proper notation when I learned how to actually write with Sibelius.
After that one, I first wrote them completely in music notation before he perfomed them :)

Jesse, I listened to the Wings of Time and Red Leaves. Both were enjoyable listens. The melodic path you charted in both tunes kept my interest. I especially like the different moods of Red Leaves. Nice dynamic playing without being overly dramatic (IMO). Cheers.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:52 pm
this is somehow funny and interesting... he was his teacher :)
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

tomtom1 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:47 am

Cool! I did not know this, and nor did I know these composers :D

tomtom1 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:43 am
ChameleonMusic wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:52 pm
this is somehow funny and interesting... he was his teacher :)
Yeah, I saw that...it was actually interesting to learn that Frescobaldi influenced the whole German baroque school because he taught JJF! :) Been listening to him on YT....not just keyboard and organ, but some lovely small ensemble pieces es as well.

Need to stop! This is Uber nerdy! :)

Air Dance - which came first? The music or the title? It doesn't really matter, but I thought that the title suited the music so well, with its delicate, and dare I say, airy vibes. I'm guessing that the music was the inspiration for the title, but that's the way I usually do things, so may not be typical.

Red leaves: enjoyable melodylines and ambiance. Beautiful instrumental music.

seismic1 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:05 pm Air Dance - which came first? The music or the title? It doesn't really matter, but I thought that the title suited the music so well, with its delicate, and dare I say, airy vibes. I'm guessing that the music was the inspiration for the title, but that's the way I usually do things, so may not be typical.

originally it was a etude for myself to learn piano, but i never actually played it! it is from 2006 originally. The oldest tune from my upcoming piano album. I renotated it in sibelius so a pianist could play it. And there was a flute in there as well. The name was simply "F-minor". Quite inspired by philip glass as you can hear.

Only at the last second, when i was creating the video for it, did i change the name :)

Return to “Music Cafe”