Jesse Gorter - Piano Thread

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRian

Topic Starter

902 posts since 30 Nov, 2004

Post Fri May 07, 2021 11:43 am

All 3 were played by a pianist :)

User avatar
KVRian
1097 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Fri May 07, 2021 12:59 pm

Jesse Gorter wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:43 am
All 3 were played by a pianist :)
Thanks for the reply... Interesting!

They're all interesting compositions and enjoyable listens, but Wings of Time sounds a little more fluid in the playing style .. Especially noticeable in some of the tempo changes for me.

Different pianist! Different piano... 2 and 3 vsts? They just have a different flow to Wings in many ways.. Not better or worse... Just different.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

KVRist
207 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Sat May 08, 2021 2:47 am

Jesse Gorter wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:27 am
The ending is quite an adventure, and composition wise, it should not even be in there. The work would be stronger without the 6/8 time.
I would disagree with that opinion. from the perspective of a classical musician, i have to say that it was quite common to use such time-changes. especially in early keyboard music (e.g. frescobaldi, froberger) - but later too. and you even built in a little transition. what one might ask is whether the time proportion ratios are shown effective enough. but in my opinion this is more of a question to the interpreter/player than to the composition. for me the last part offers a clear added value. :tu:

User avatar
KVRian
1097 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Sat May 08, 2021 8:51 am

tomtom1 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:47 am
Jesse Gorter wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:27 am
The ending is quite an adventure, and composition wise, it should not even be in there. The work would be stronger without the 6/8 time.
I would disagree with that opinion. from the perspective of a classical musician, i have to say that it was quite common to use such time-changes. especially in early keyboard music (e.g. frescobaldi, froberger) - but later too. and you even built in a little transition. what one might ask is whether the time proportion ratios are shown effective enough. but in my opinion this is more of a question to the interpreter/player than to the composition. for me the last part offers a clear added value. :tu:
Yeah, I agree with that assessment...don't knock that ending at all! :) I wrote:
Ending - yeah, the change of time signature could be a little bit more fluid, but it works as a sudden lift to end on!
It's effective, but just stutters a little tiny bit in this performance...can't tell from here without a score whether it was the playing or the written notes at the transition, but i think the ending is a positive little surprise!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

User avatar
KVRian
1097 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Sat May 08, 2021 8:52 am

(e.g. frescobaldi, froberger)
Froberger - yep, but I've never heard of frescobaldi...off to look him up! :)
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/


KVRian

Topic Starter

902 posts since 30 Nov, 2004

Post Sun May 09, 2021 12:59 am

walidantar wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:48 pm
very nice, i like hearing such music, is there a midi recording for it? i'd like to hear it with my vst plugin :)
No but I like to release the sheet music some time :)

KVRian

Topic Starter

902 posts since 30 Nov, 2004

Post Sun May 09, 2021 1:00 am

seismic1 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:32 pm
"The Wings of Time"

I recognised this one from a couple of years ago, but it was so pleasant, I listened to it twice more :)

It was nicely played and the change from 4/4 to 6/8 worked quite well, but I think it might work better if you went straight from one to the other, but this may not be an option as it was recorded live.

Good work :)
actually, this was the first one I composed for this upcoming album and I send my pianist a rough midi. He came up with the transition, which I later on transcribed in proper notation when I learned how to actually write with Sibelius.
After that one, I first wrote them completely in music notation before he perfomed them :)

User avatar
KVRist
489 posts since 16 Dec, 2003

Post Sun May 09, 2021 1:41 pm

Jesse, I listened to the Wings of Time and Red Leaves. Both were enjoyable listens. The melodic path you charted in both tunes kept my interest. I especially like the different moods of Red Leaves. Nice dynamic playing without being overly dramatic (IMO). Cheers.

KVRist
207 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Sun May 09, 2021 10:43 pm

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:52 am
(e.g. frescobaldi, froberger)
Froberger - yep, but I've never heard of frescobaldi...off to look him up! :)
this is somehow funny and interesting... he was his teacher :)

KVRian

Topic Starter

902 posts since 30 Nov, 2004

Post Mon May 10, 2021 10:38 am

tomtom1 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:47 am
Jesse Gorter wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:27 am
The ending is quite an adventure, and composition wise, it should not even be in there. The work would be stronger without the 6/8 time.
I would disagree with that opinion. from the perspective of a classical musician, i have to say that it was quite common to use such time-changes. especially in early keyboard music (e.g. frescobaldi, froberger) - but later too. and you even built in a little transition. what one might ask is whether the time proportion ratios are shown effective enough. but in my opinion this is more of a question to the interpreter/player than to the composition. for me the last part offers a clear added value. :tu:

Cool! I did not know this, and nor did I know these composers :D

User avatar
KVRian
1097 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Mon May 10, 2021 10:58 am

tomtom1 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:43 pm
ChameleonMusic wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:52 am
(e.g. frescobaldi, froberger)
Froberger - yep, but I've never heard of frescobaldi...off to look him up! :)
this is somehow funny and interesting... he was his teacher :)
Yeah, I saw that...it was actually interesting to learn that Frescobaldi influenced the whole German baroque school because he taught JJF! :) Been listening to him on YT....not just keyboard and organ, but some lovely small ensemble pieces es as well.

Need to stop! This is Uber nerdy! :)
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

User avatar
KVRAF
10194 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Tue May 11, 2021 3:05 pm

Air Dance - which came first? The music or the title? It doesn't really matter, but I thought that the title suited the music so well, with its delicate, and dare I say, airy vibes. I'm guessing that the music was the inspiration for the title, but that's the way I usually do things, so may not be typical.

Good work :)

User avatar
KVRian
1092 posts since 28 Oct, 2005 from Finland

Post Wed May 12, 2021 10:01 am

Red leaves: enjoyable melodylines and ambiance. Beautiful instrumental music.

KVRian

Topic Starter

902 posts since 30 Nov, 2004

Post Thu May 13, 2021 1:25 am

seismic1 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:05 pm
Air Dance - which came first? The music or the title? It doesn't really matter, but I thought that the title suited the music so well, with its delicate, and dare I say, airy vibes. I'm guessing that the music was the inspiration for the title, but that's the way I usually do things, so may not be typical.

Good work :)
originally it was a etude for myself to learn piano, but i never actually played it! it is from 2006 originally. The oldest tune from my upcoming piano album. I renotated it in sibelius so a pianist could play it. And there was a flute in there as well. The name was simply "F-minor". Quite inspired by philip glass as you can hear.

Only at the last second, when i was creating the video for it, did i change the name :)

Return to “Music Cafe”