Why you left Bitwig?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
2325 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Sat May 08, 2021 9:28 am

mellotronaut wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:15 am
i left Bitwig, because i needed some cash.
Hard times, pal. Hope it gets better soon!

KVRer
6 posts since 8 May, 2021

Post Sat May 08, 2021 11:58 am

I didn’t find it as intuitive as it could be. But maybe that’s just me :-/

KVRAF
2247 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sun May 09, 2021 1:56 am

hlgr wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:58 am
I didn’t find it as intuitive as it could be. But maybe that’s just me :-/
You are all that matter. :tu:

User avatar
KVRian
683 posts since 20 Apr, 2005

Post Sun May 09, 2021 4:06 am

excuse me please wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:45 am
I supported Bitwig because they presented themselves as a small company relating on a loyal userbase. Sailliant detail: they even gave first hour users badges. At each occasion the fanbois were shouting for years: they are small company, just wait and see!

Now they've ganged up with companies like Waves, I ask the forum: is Waves a small company????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Whoa, hold your horses. Again with the needless criticism of Bitwig and it's users... Is everything ok with you?

1. Bitwig IS a small company
2. I think any so called 'loyalty' is probably just because people like the product
3. They have hardly ganged up with Waves.

The Bitwig Circle thing that it happening is clearly just companies marketing to each others mailing lists. I can't see why you, or anyone actually, would have a problem with that... Odd.

fwiw, I have not left Bitwig. I use Bitwig and Cubase. Bitwig for me is much faster and more fun for creating music. I think Cubase still has a slight edge for the mixing stage though.

KVRist
394 posts since 4 Apr, 2006

Post Sun May 09, 2021 4:25 am

Even if I don't us Bitwig that much and think that some aspects of it are overly complicated an just take too many clicks and keystrokes, but I gladly pay the upgrade fee every year to support them. Bitwig is still quiet young and they are introducing great new features every year. There are just certain aspects that are not as polished as I would want them to be, but I think it's only a matter of time before Bitwig will shine :)

I just hope they put more time into the playlist and piano roll instead of online collaboration.
Last edited by docbot on Sun May 09, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KVRian
683 posts since 20 Apr, 2005

Post Sun May 09, 2021 4:42 am

docbot wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:23 am
I don't think it's too much to ask to have a simple "explorer" like folder browser that shows a lot of visual information. I have so many sample folders with wierd names, I can't possibly type them out to just access them (who has the time...)

I don't get why people become so overly protective. The Pop-up browser is great (although laggy and slow to preview files), but the static browser does have room for some improvements.
Hey, weird, but when you say it doesn't have an explorer.. I'm sure it does... You can just go to the file option in the browser, right click on Add To Library (something like that) and after that it always appears in the browser.

I recall it was really easy to add the top level of my sample libraries, and they now all appear when I browse under samples, and they appear in expandable folders. Couldn't have been easier. I'm sure I could organise it further as well if I took the time to do so.

I think the browser is really powerful and has saved me loads of time, even though I've only scratched the surface. Just these two things save me time on every track:
1. a Tool preset which is simply gain -18db for gainstaging. I just click through the tracks and drag and drop the preset into place
2. My headphone correction chain, placed in a container can just be dragged in seconds to master

User avatar
KVRian
683 posts since 20 Apr, 2005

Post Sun May 09, 2021 4:49 am

hlgr wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:58 am
I didn’t find it as intuitive as it could be. But maybe that’s just me :-/
I guess it depends what you have mostly used before. I came from Cubase and it did take me a bit of time to get my head around a few of the things.

Now I've used it a lot I find it a very good workflow for almost everything - and Cubase now feels quite clunky in comparison.

It's definitely worth the short learning curve at the beginning. The manual is pretty good and the Bitwig forum on Kvr is pretty friendly and helpful too.

User avatar
KVRAF
19051 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sun May 09, 2021 7:12 am

_leras wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:49 am
hlgr wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:58 am
I didn’t find it as intuitive as it could be. But maybe that’s just me :-/
I guess it depends what you have mostly used before. I came from Cubase and it did take me a bit of time to get my head around a few of the things.

Now I've used it a lot I find it a very good workflow for almost everything - and Cubase now feels quite clunky in comparison.

It's definitely worth the short learning curve at the beginning. The manual is pretty good and the Bitwig forum on Kvr is pretty friendly and helpful too.
And the interactive help is fantastic!

Yeah... basically, intuitive mostly means what someone is used to

KVRist
394 posts since 4 Apr, 2006

Post Sun May 09, 2021 10:11 am

_leras wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:42 am
Hey, weird, but when you say it doesn't have an explorer.. I'm sure it does... You can just go to the file option in the browser, right click on Add To Library (something like that) and after that it always appears in the browser.
I know what you mean, but nope. It never displays files and folders in a single tree, hence you constantly have to jump between the upper and lower windoW. It's also slower to preview than FL and since the two sections (folders / files) have to share the same column, the visual info it can present is about half as in Ableton or FL. It's just my opinion and it makes me use Bitwig less, but great if you find the Browser to speed up your workflow, I just don't have that experience. I simply would prefer two columns for the side browser

User avatar
KVRAF
3379 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun May 09, 2021 11:52 am

docbot wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:11 am
_leras wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:42 am
Hey, weird, but when you say it doesn't have an explorer.. I'm sure it does... You can just go to the file option in the browser, right click on Add To Library (something like that) and after that it always appears in the browser.
I know what you mean, but nope. It never displays files and folders in a single tree, hence you constantly have to jump between the upper and lower windoW. It's also slower to preview than FL and since the two sections (folders / files) have to share the same column, the visual info it can present is about half as in Ableton or FL. It's just my opinion and it makes me use Bitwig less, but great if you find the Browser to speed up your workflow, I just don't have that experience. I simply would prefer two columns for the side browser
I'd prefer if the pop up Browser was the main browser. I prefer the Apple style column approach to browsing, but I wish the Bitwig version had a few things going for it. It doesn't "remember" the typing you do if you have to change the search focus for instance, this means I'm retyping all the time because I'll start typing as soon as I instantiate it without checking if it's in a previous focus. Plus pop ups allow you to drag a smaller distance in the case of audio files etc.

KVRAF
3071 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Sun May 09, 2021 12:05 pm

Bizarre amount of Bitwig users arguing in a thread for people that left Bitwig...

User avatar
KVRAF
3379 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun May 09, 2021 12:17 pm

simmo75 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:05 pm
Bizarre amount of Bitwig users arguing in a thread for people that left Bitwig...
Have you forgotten where you are?
BTW have you tried Reaper?

KVRAF
3071 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Sun May 09, 2021 12:24 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:17 pm
simmo75 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:05 pm
Bizarre amount of Bitwig users arguing in a thread for people that left Bitwig...
Have you forgotten where you are?
BTW have you tried Reaper?
Weird question...
yes, I’ve tried Reaper. Why?

User avatar
KVRAF
19051 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sun May 09, 2021 12:25 pm

Airplane mode

User avatar
KVRian
1367 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Sun May 09, 2021 12:37 pm

_leras wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:06 am
excuse me please wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:45 am
I supported Bitwig because they presented themselves as a small company relating on a loyal userbase. Sailliant detail: they even gave first hour users badges. At each occasion the fanbois were shouting for years: they are small company, just wait and see!

Now they've ganged up with companies like Waves, I ask the forum: is Waves a small company????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Whoa, hold your horses. Again with the needless criticism of Bitwig and it's users... Is everything ok with you?

1. Bitwig IS a small company
2. I think any so called 'loyalty' is probably just because people like the product
3. They have hardly ganged up with Waves.

The Bitwig Circle thing that it happening is clearly just companies marketing to each others mailing lists. I can't see why you, or anyone actually, would have a problem with that... Odd.

fwiw, I have not left Bitwig. I use Bitwig and Cubase. Bitwig for me is much faster and more fun for creating music. I think Cubase still has a slight edge for the mixing stage though.
I am extremely odd, yes. This is just the beginning :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”