Baby Audio Smooth Operator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmanic wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:23 pm
BABY Audio wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:17 pm
epiphaneia wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:29 pm
Do you regularly compile another build that would work without online activation that all registered customers would receive?
Yes, exactly that. If ever something happened that meant we would have to shut down the activation server (which is highly unlikely) then we would be able to distribute an alternative build that could be activated without Internet access.

Also, what is much more likely to happen in the future is that we'll overhaul our activation system and hopefully find a way to incorporate offline activation :)
The issue is that pretty much the EXACT words you just said, have been said before.. and NOT honored. The case for "oh if we go bust or something happens, customers will get a working version!" is almost zero. As far as I know, the only company that actually pulled through (albeit half-assed and with a rather small window/time-line) was Camel Audio. All others simply vanished and left the legit customers hanging. Anybody can think of a company with online activation that actually kept their promise?
This is one of the reasons why I think a lot of plugins are overpriced.

Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:13 pm https://youtu.be/S5fzbLY28_k Interesting
What's up with those extra harmonics at 6.12? :eek:

itanever wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:30 pm What's up with those extra harmonics at 6.12? :eek:
Right, I can clearly see that he's using it totally wrong way and being skeptic from the ground, but in the end it all comes up to that question... :o

I want compensation for time wasted reading this thread and for being forced to look at White Sea's stupid smug ass face :x :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:49 am I want compensation for time wasted reading this thread and for being forced to look at White Sea's stupid smug ass face :x :lol:
sigh
*unzips pants*

Ploki wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:45 am That doesn't make Smooth Operator inferior or different, it just makes it a less flexible tool - and the price for the lack of flexibility is reflected. Smooth Operator might even be a better choice if you find Soothe2 feature set overwhelming.
Agreed. Soothe has a lot going on and carries a high price tag for someone like me, who's just looking for a quick and dirty way to de-harsh nasty synth patches :lol:

If I find myself using it regularly, I can more easily justify shelling out for Soothe in the future.
Always Read the Manual!

Ploki wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:28 am sigh
*unzips pants*

Hey all. Excited to share that we're finally ready with the v1.0.1 update!

It introduces a new HIGH-RES algorithm mode, which fixes the issue that was causing "spectral harmonics" and offers more clarity / definition over-all. We know some people preferred the old algorithm so it's still in there - now called CLASSIC. You can switch between the two modes by clicking the "M" icon in the preset bar. (HIGH-RES is the new default).

The update also fixes an issue where the plugin would occasionally analyze the sidechain input incorrectly.

Thanks so much for your patience while we figured this out! This has been complex beyond compare and we originally thought it would be impossible to make further improvements due to the nature and constraints of the spectral domain.

With the update we've fixed the core issue that was causing these harmonics and we believe they have now been virtually eliminated. At really extreme stress tests you may still be able to generate tiny artifacts – but these have been reduced by >95% compared to the old algorithm.

If you're an owner of the plugin you can download it for free using the original link in the order email. There's also a free trial available here: https://babyaud.io/free-trials
babyaud.io

This plugin is my new best friend !
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Hi all. I read through the thread and didn't find what I was looking for: question - I have Gullfoss and TEOTE and Soothe2 - would it be worth demoing Smooth Operator anyway? Does Smooth O bring anything to the table those mentioned do not? thanks!

plexuss wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:35 pm Hi all. I read through the thread and didn't find what I was looking for: question - I have Gullfoss and TEOTE and Soothe2 - would it be worth demoing Smooth Operator anyway? Does Smooth O bring anything to the table those mentioned do not? thanks!
Imho : F*CK YES !!!
This is like an automatic resonance tamer that always sounds good if you don’t abuse it. You can use it on any channel and on your master channel as a ”finalizer”.
It’s sooooooooo easy to tweak when compared to the other products you mentionned, and the results sound way better more quickly.
Just my opinion, but for me it’s a game changer. 1 second of tweaking and your sound is perfect.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

plexuss wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:35 pm Hi all. I read through the thread and didn't find what I was looking for: question - I have Gullfoss and TEOTE and Soothe2 - would it be worth demoing Smooth Operator anyway? Does Smooth O bring anything to the table those mentioned do not? thanks!
I'd say, if you find yourself spending too much time tweaking Soothe2 and you rather have quick results, then it may be worth it. Smooth Operator is simple, quick and easy. I prefer Soothe2 but I enjoyed the trial of Smooth Operator. Give it a try, the trial is similar to voxengo plugins, some silence every now and then, but fully functional for analysis and comparison purposes. If I didn't have Soothe2 (even if I had, like I do, both Gullfoss and Teote) I would buy Smooth Operator.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

escalona wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:34 pm I'd say, if you find yourself spending too much time tweaking Soothe2 and you rather have quick results, then it may be worth it. Smooth Operator is simple, quick and easy. I prefer Soothe2 but I enjoyed the trial of Smooth Operator. Give it a try, the trial is similar to voxengo plugins, some silence every now and then, but fully functional for analysis and comparison purposes. If I didn't have Soothe2 (even if I had, like I do, both Gullfoss and Teote) I would buy Smooth Operator.
I gave the demo a whirl. I am working on a track that is getting out of hand; I decided to try SO on the tracks to see if it would help. I carefully dialed an SO on each track in to squeeze out a little more quality. I think it worked. I compared to other mixed I've done and the one with SO is the best sounding. It has it's own thing going on frankly, compared to the other I menioned and so it's a good tool to have in the always expanding tool box.

i passed on it.
I also sold Gullfoss because of Teote.
I don't miss it, i mostly used "Tame" and soothe2 has that covered (and then some)

I tried Baby Audio while it still had shit distortion FFT implementation, but i didn't find the workflow giving me anything tbh
DJErmac wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:11 pm
Imho : F*CK YES !!!
This is like an automatic resonance tamer that always sounds good if you don’t abuse it. You can use it on any channel and on your master channel as a ”finalizer”.
It’s sooooooooo easy to tweak when compared to the other products you mentionned, and the results sound way better more quickly.
Just my opinion, but for me it’s a game changer. 1 second of tweaking and your sound is perfect.
no offense but if you abuse FFT throughout the mixing process likely your mix will sound dull and over-processed.
And it's a game changer...
kinda like:
Gullfoss, Neutron Sculptor, Ozone Spectral Shaper, DSEQ3, Soothe2 and the ultimate: MSpectralDynamics (already a decade old)

f**king GAAIHNEME CHAINGEKER

Return to “Effects”