2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think im more intetested in the menqi wing pinger or something than the strega, its more expensive, but cheaper than all 3 of the MN synths together. Not really similar, but a bit more attractive to my weird taste in gear. :shrug:

vurt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:10 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:08 pm
vurt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:58 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:55 pm
vurt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:43 pm
paradiddle wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:18 pm Picked up the 3 tabletop from make noise: 0-coast, 0-ctrl and strega. Really loving them. Next up some mics for drums and monitors (yamaha hs-8)
starting to feel like im the only one who didnt get one :cry:
definitely my next purchase (stocks permitting!)

the whole package there, youve got some good noises ahead :ud:
I didn't get one. I'm totally winning next month's restraint contest. Does planning out PCBs and front panels for a DIY module count if you already have all of the other parts?
july onwards ill beat you!!!
maybe!! (if no one tempts me with exciting magickal things...)
Not going to happen. You have to be that guy who made a killer track with just a D110 and an FB01 to beat me. I can smell you magikal temptation from here! I will be stoic and true, vigilant in my discipline.

Since I lost this month already I'm going to go ahead and pick up that little CMS polyphonic aftertouch keyboard to tie me over until the Osmose comes out, when I will lose again.
made a killer track with one snare sample! and a delay.
i can do minimal, i like magickal :ud:
For some definition of "killer" ;)

ghettosynth wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:29 pm
vurt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:10 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:08 pm
vurt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:58 pm

I didn't get one. I'm totally winning next month's restraint contest. Does planning out PCBs and front panels for a DIY module count if you already have all of the other parts?
july onwards ill beat you!!!
maybe!! (if no one tempts me with exciting magickal things...)
Not going to happen. You have to be that guy who made a killer track with just a D110 and an FB01 to beat me. I can smell you magikal temptation from here! I will be stoic and true, vigilant in my discipline.

Since I lost this month already I'm going to go ahead and pick up that little CMS polyphonic aftertouch keyboard to tie me over until the Osmose comes out, when I will lose again.
made a killer track with one snare sample! and a delay.
well yes, "anyone hearing it might want to kill me" i assumed thats what you meant? :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:20 pm I think im more intetested in the menqi wing pinger or something than the strega, its more expensive, but cheaper than all 3 of the MN synths together. Not really similar, but a bit more attractive to my weird taste in gear. :shrug:
not seen it, and poogle here gets me golf clubs or fishing floats :lol:

https://www.mengqimusic.com/

i think there might be a cheaper less fancy version sans the touch keys and whatnot. not sure though.

cheers :tu:

i like the twin keyboards, suggests fun stuff for sure :ud:
ill have a look and listen 8)

vurt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:43 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:29 pm
vurt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:10 pm made a killer track with one snare sample! and a delay.
well yes, "anyone hearing it might want to kill me" i assumed thats what you meant? :shrug:
Oh yes, I get that. I've been banned from bandcamp for sending several unsuspecting friends into comas of boredom with my "music." But no, the track in question (not mind if that wasn't clear) was actually "good."

imrae wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:56 pm
Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:28 pm
imrae wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:38 pm While we're talking Eurorack, I just ordered components for four Nonlinearcircuits modules :hyper:

There was a lot of double-checking but I expect I'll still have messed up something :ud:
8) Nonlinearcircuits makes some really intriguing modules. What did you get?
Let's Splosh w/ black/gold panel
Hypster w/ black/gold panel
Divine CMOS
Squid Axon

While I really dig the standard white/gold theme, I'm making some aluminium/black panels for the smaller modules so they match the rest of my case better!

You can easily identify Andrew's designs vs Ian Fritz's, the Hypster uses more different resistor values than the others put together! I recently built a Thomas Henry PAL filter which also had quite a complicated BOM full of carefully-chosen values. It's great to have a CV-controllable allpass/phaser, very interesting process to introduce before waveshaping/distortion.
Wow, some truly mind-bending stuff there. :o Cool projects! I hadn't checked them out for quite a long while ... don't tell Vurt about the Splosh, Hypster, Divine CMOS, or Squid Axon, or he'll go there https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/modules , and watch the videos at the bottom of each modules page, and lose the highly coveted monthly "Gear Acquisition Restraint Award", for the next YEAR! :hihi: (at least) :hyper:
imrae wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:56 pm I also have a cunning plan to use different LED colours for the positive and negative outputs of Let's Splosh. The tricky part will be identifying the corresponding resistors in order to compensate for brightness :scared:
Absolutely see the appeal for that, but (frustratingly) figuring it out is beyond my grasp, with my memory issues. (sigh)... I'm pretty sure I have a screen-grab from Muffs, stashed somewhere, of a discussion of that very thing, not necessarily for that module, but that technical "process" ... and that "synth DIY" guy on youtube, goes over it specifically (in order to compensate for brightness) in one of his vids, a year or two, ago, where he makes his own module and is messing with various LEDs brightness factors.

Noticed several tasty 'b-stock' face plates really cheap at that nonlinearcircuits link, that I'm thinking I can use/re-purpose for my own projects. :tu:
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Mon May 10, 2021 7:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

paradiddle wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:18 pm Picked up the 3 tabletop from make noise: 0-coast, 0-ctrl and strega. Really loving them. Next up some mics for drums and monitors (yamaha hs-8)

I'm not 'getting one' either. And no, the rules clearly state that: "planning out PCBs and front panels for a DIY module [...] if you already have all of the other parts" is exempt from counting against you, in the acquisition "failure to comply" stats.
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Mon May 10, 2021 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

vurt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:40 pm :party: data bender arriving tuesday!
if anyone else in the uk is after one, juno have a few left :tu:
Excited for you! 8) ... and awaiting your disclosure of almost crapping yourself, when you start to experience it, and its potential to evoke that "giddy as a schoolgirl" state, to which you unhesitatingly aspire. :wink:

Shabdahbriah wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:21 am don't tell Vurt about the Splosh, Hypster, Divine CMOS, or Squid Axon, or he'll go there https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/modules , and watch the videos at the bottom of each modules page, and lose the highly coveted monthly "Gear Acquisition Restraint Award", for the next YEAR! :hihi: (at least) :hyper:
Being honest, I watch those videos 50% for the modules and 50% for the dogs.
imrae wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:56 pm I also have a cunning plan to use different LED colours for the positive and negative outputs of Let's Splosh. The tricky part will be identifying the corresponding resistors in order to compensate for brightness :scared:
Absolutely see the appeal for that, but (frustratingly) figuring it out is beyond my grasp, with my memory issues. (sigh)... I'm pretty sure I have a screen-grab from Muffs, stashed somewhere, of a discussion of that very thing, not necessarily for that module, but that technical "process" ... and that "synth DIY" guy on youtube, goes over it specifically (in order to compensate for brightness) in one of his vids, a year or two, ago, where he makes his own module and is messing with various LEDs brightness factors.
I figure if I have the resistance in proportion to the candela ratings then they shouldn't be too far off. Suppose it would be wise to check with a breadboard though. The painful part will be poking around with a multimeter to identify which pads go where.
Noticed several tasty 'b-stock' face plates really cheap at that nonlinearcircuits link, that I'm thinking I can use/re-purpose for my own projects. :tu:
I'm a bit wary of adapting fibreglass panels as it's not the nicest material to work with. Aluminium blank panels are also pretty cheap.

Shabdahbriah wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:03 am
vurt wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:40 pm :party: data bender arriving tuesday!
if anyone else in the uk is after one, juno have a few left :tu:
Excited for you! 8) ... and awaiting your disclosure of almost crapping yourself, when you start to experience it, and its potential to evoke that "giddy as a schoolgirl" state, to which you unhesitatingly aspire. :wink:
yup, looking forward to it :hyper: :wheee:
have even recorded some drum noodles in to morphagene for a quick glitch up :party:

Shabdahbriah wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:21 am
Wow, some truly mind-bending stuff there. :o Cool projects! I hadn't checked them out for quite a long while ... don't tell Vurt about the Splosh, Hypster, Divine CMOS, or Squid Axon, or he'll go there https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/modules , and watch the videos at the bottom of each modules page, and lose the highly coveted monthly "Gear Acquisition Restraint Award", for the next YEAR! :hihi: (at least) :hyper:

i shall have a look! they do have interesting sounding names "splosh" in particular :hihi:
ive seen a fair few splosh videos in my time, not one had anything synth in it :lol:

but im done for now, have enough "fun stuff" (well, strega obviously when available, but otherwise...) to be getting on with for now.
maybe some utility bits not too far off, decent output mixer would be nice.

but otherwise, august onwards, loved ones birthdays start piling up, so all gifts go outwards :)
and maybe if theres anything in the auction :oops: but i try to avoid buying myself stuff till post xmas.

ok, a wangernumb and an arse :lol:

How are your DIY skills? I'm finding they're not too expensive if you combine a few parts orders, but the SMD soldering is not for everyone!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”