How to Trigger chords with a note?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
KVRer
8 posts since 24 Sep, 2020

Post Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:31 pm

In OVOX i want to trigger chords when I sing a single note. is it best to make it so chords are triggered by their root note?

I dont know much about music theory.
For instance if i want to trigger an E minor Seventh, should i trigger it when singing an E? a G? B? D?

KVRAF
12803 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:50 am

Try it out. It will sound different with the base note you sing being pitched up or down and the amount it gets pitched. Also for your brain it matters how natural it feels to sing a note and getting accompanyment.

I don't think this is a "theory" question, but never mind that.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

KVRAF
21979 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Sun May 09, 2021 5:57 pm

"is it best to make it so chords are triggered by their root note"
looks like a music theory question to me. However I don't know what 'trigger an _' does. If it's some software algorithm that is supposed to create the chord from one single note entry, chances do not seem very good it's going to understand more about the question than 'here's triad or tetrad from the root of the chord/your note'.

Is it best, short answer is maybe, maybe not. This is a question of a musical idea: 1) have your own idea or punt
2) there are no guarantees. Specifically, no principle is a guarantee of quality through itself. Maybe if that's all that ever happens it'll tend to dullness after a point but chances seem high the person who operates this way will also have no concept of voice-leading so all the chords are root position on a guitar...

Also, too: few people will care about these problems.

Return to “Music Theory”