I need a limiter and two are on sale: IK Stealth or PSP Xenon?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mind Riot wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:53 am Oh, sorry. I only knew about the TDR Limiter 6 and the freeware VladG Limiter No.6 that was its predecessor and ostensibly its inspiration. The VladG is the one that I have that I'm referring to when I refer to "Limiter 6". If I'm talking about the paid version I call it "TDR Limiter 6".

What's the other Limiter 6 that's out there aside from these two?
isn't there a free version of TDR Limiter 6?

edit: Sorry my mistake there isn't. I thought there was because the paid version is called "GE".

TDR Limiter 6 GE version can be used as a fully functional demo. Only restriction: it acts like analog hardware -> you cannot save presets and no automatic recall of the settings once you close the project. Pretty generous, because I usually do mastering in one session anyway, so I don't really need to save the settings. If you got sufficient funds you should of course still buy it to support the developer!

Mind Riot wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:59 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:31 am Are you talking about TDR Limiter 6 ? You can get TDR Limiter 6 GE for approx £43, might be wiser if its Limiter 6 you prefer.

If it were me then I wouldn't be buying Stealth after reading this thread, even for $18.
Yes, I'm referring to the freeware Limiter 6; I've had it for years. I think it's a quite capable piece of gear, it's just complex, and if I'm going to use it as the end of my mastering chain I think I'll need to buckle down and get to know it a bit better than I do now.

I still think Stealth will do it's job just fine, and its ease of use is appealing. But I'm no longer entirely sure I actually have a real need for a limiter at all, and some of the freeware stuff is compelling.

GAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! I don't know what to do. If circumstances change and I find I really need a good limiter for something later and I passed up an $18 deal on a good one, I'll kick my own ass all over the place. I could probably even resell it for more than I paid for it in a few months if it doesn't work out.
Good luck selling an IK plugin... you have to pay $20 before you can sell it, and then find a buyer (when we know IK stuff eventually goes down to floor prices)
In any case, eventually when you have a good arsenal of limiters, you'll be happy you only paid $18 for a limiter you stopped using at some point... :hihi:
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

perpetual3 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:13 pm
4damind wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:14 pm If it should be more in the professional area... Newfangled Audio Elevate (Eventide website) is on sale till end of May for $99 (needs an iLok)
Definitely Elevate.
I'm gonna get this. It sounds fantastic! I don't want to use it for every song, i'm demoing it now it works amazing for certain songs.

Spring Goose wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:01 pm
4damind wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:14 pm If it should be more in the professional area... Newfangled Audio Elevate (Eventide website) is on sale till end of May for $99 (needs an iLok)
Definitely Elevate.
I'm gonna get this. It sounds fantastic! I don't want to use it for every song, i'm demoing it now it works amazing for certain songs.
Elevate is on another level as far as limiters. And you get the EQ, saturator and transient designer as separate plugins too.

perpetual3 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:03 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:01 pm
Definitely Elevate.
Elevate is on another level as far as limiters. And you get the EQ, saturator and transient designer as separate plugins too.
I know, it's great value.

Elevate is just ridiculous. So transparent and how you can bring back transients and push them into the clipper is magical. Also a great creative tool for crushing sounds like crazy.

fceramic wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:36 pm Elevate is just ridiculous. So transparent and how you can bring back transients and push them into the clipper is magical. Also a great creative tool for crushing sounds like crazy.
Yesterday i read the Gearspace thread, and today i installed the demo. They (Gearspace) are a difficult crowd to please! I agree with you (although i've only had few hours with it).

--
Last edited by Spring Goose on Fri May 14, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, I didn't end up buying Stealth, if anyone's curious. I didn't buy anything else in its place either. I'll continue using Limiter 6 for the time being, and if I get to know it really well I might invest some time learning about TDR Limiter 6 GE and possibly make that my last effect in my mastering chain.

Elevate and some other limiters look very cool but are more of an investment than I can swing right now, and as we've discussed here, my limiting needs are very modest.

A big thank you to everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience, you all ultimately changed my mind and I've gone from two potential purchases to none in this thread because of everyone's help! So thank you for saving me what could have been some unwisely spent money.

I wasn't planning on buying a limiter today but after demoing Elevate for not even 10 minutes, I pulled the trigger. I love the interface and options and it's a nice complement to DMG Limitless, which is my typical go to. I don't think I would have paid full pop for it since I'm usually good with Limitless, TDR Limiter 6 or Elephant, but this gets great results and I love the workflow.

many opinions. does it has it have to do with the kind of music you make, bias? or they really sound different?

i am not a limiter person, never use it in mixes.

i only use the Stealth limiter when necessary, first in T-Racks, standalone, nice metering. indeed keep an eye on the true peak.
my go to, now; -1dBFs, -14 LUFS.

now in wavelab pro 10, when necessary. i like it because to my ears it doesn't affect the sound, i don't want mastering to change my sound, i master in the mix (if this is good or bad, this is how i work), sometimes a little mastering.

i use the meter plugin also in wavelab pro 10, the same info, but dynamic range is nice. and sometimes small deviations.
(yes have in way T-Racks 5 Max, with some more, scraped together. use the other stuff, for mixes, not One, although... mangle!)

the Stealth Limiter indeed produces a lot of latency, but Ozone 9 more... but i never use it on a master, in a DAW. (i don't have ozone installed anymore... not my cup of tea.. personal..)

yes because of the extreme oversampling, no probs for me.

i set always to -1dB, sometimes more, -1.1 - -1.3, that one dBFS does not matter, there is volume knob, quite an invention.

what i like about the Stealth Limiter; you don't loose dynamics, or less than in others, i have.

elevate seems quite tempting, but i am satisfied, with the results. i hear what i want to hear...

yes, just another experience. another opinion.

That was like a stream of consciousness musing on gear. I imagined bongos hitting after each line, like it was a poetry slam.

"I AM...NOT...a limiter person." BADALUMP *bongos*

"that ONE dBFS...does NOT matter? THERE IS...volume knob...QUITE an invention..." BADALUMP

"...yes, JUST. ANOTHER...experience. ANOTHER...opinion." BADALUMP

Mind Riot wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:08 pm That was like a stream of consciousness musing on gear. I imagined bongos hitting after each line, like it was a poetry slam.

"I AM...NOT...a limiter person." BADALUMP *bongos*

"that ONE dBFS...does NOT matter? THERE IS...volume knob...QUITE an invention..." BADALUMP

"...yes, JUST. ANOTHER...experience. ANOTHER...opinion." BADALUMP
Lol at that :lol:
Congrats on your decision. TDR has a few great moments within the year where they greatly discount their awesome products.
Also, if at some point you are interested in Elevate, I bought a copy of EQuivocate for peanuts here in the forum (it seems like it was given for free to Focusrite owners at some point). You may be able to find one... and then the bundle comes down to $49 which is more than reasonable for what it is.
But then again, Limiter 6 may be just all you need, so you don't need to spend money on something you'll end up under-using or not using at all (like 85% of all the plugins I own).
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

I ended up getting UrsaDSP Boost rev B today. And now my limiting needs are complete (FIRComp2, Elevate, Boost).

Return to “Effects”