SILO - spatial reverb from Unfiltered Audio / PA

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

An instant avant-garde-industrializer. I like this more than I thought I would. 29,99 + VAT. Steal.

Just wondering where the typical Unfiltered Audio modulation has gone..

If you have the amazing Portal, not sure if Silo brings anything new though....

gondii wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:12 pm An instant avant-garde-industrializer. I like this more than I thought I would. 29,99 + VAT. Steal.

Just wondering where the typical Unfiltered Audio modulation has gone..
i had the same observation; the typical modulation. a pity.

There must be something I don't fully get here.... Basically, it's just a granulator drowned into a big reverb? :shrug:

Neon Breath wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:01 pm There must be something I don't fully get here.... Basically, it's just a granulator drowned into a big reverb? :shrug:
I think the most interesting part is the spatializer in between the granulator and the reverb.
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Tue May 11, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:05 pm
Neon Breath wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:01 pm There must be something I don't fully get here.... Basically, it's just a granulator drowned into a big reverb? :shrug:
I thinking the most interesting part is the spatializer in between the granulator and the reverb.
How does the spatializer compare to the one in DUST?

Sampleconstruct wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:05 pm
I think the most interesting part is the spatializer in between the granulator and the reverb.
it's really excellent imo. different and can be equal parts sound design and mixing tool. well done by UA.
and the modulation that can happen w/the different mix modes and "skip" etc is really musical and lively.

I don't find it very musical in its design. There's a lot of twisting parameters and not hearing any effect with this. Also the levels seem totally off. Can barely hear the reverb in one moment and the next it's painfully loud and clipping. Lots of bells and whistles but really hard to control the output I find. The granular engine also seem buggy as it create lots of pops and clicks, not smooth at all. Shame cause I was really hoping PA would finally have a nice creative reverb in their collection.
Also the presets are mostly unusable which is expected from Unfiltered Audio plugins.

Pretty cool in IMHO, I like it :tu:

Its great. I'm gonna get loads of use out of this creating atmospheric and weird samples. Its three effects in one. The granulator and the spatializer are well cool. :)

@fceramic have you tried increasing the buffer size in the granulator when its clicking?

fceramic wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 pm I don't find it very musical in its design. There's a lot of twisting parameters and not hearing any effect with this. Also the levels seem totally off. Can barely hear the reverb in one moment and the next it's painfully loud and clipping. Lots of bells and whistles but really hard to control the output I find. The granular engine also seem buggy as it create lots of pops and clicks, not smooth at all. Shame cause I was really hoping PA would finally have a nice creative reverb in their collection.
Also the presets are mostly unusable which is expected from Unfiltered Audio plugins.
I appreciate the feedback. For the clickiness, there is one bug we just found and fixed that was regrettably introduced very late in the game. Just found out today. If anti-aliasing is enabled in the settings menu and a grain plays over the right side of the buffer it will cause a pop. Try disabling anti-aliasing and see if that gets rid of this clickiness you're describing.

Alternatively, you might be hearing the edges of the windows. They're shaped that way by design but perhaps Hann (type 3) should have been the default. You might switch to that mode and see if it makes it more agreeable. We'll think about changing the default in the update.

Cheers.
Josh, Co-Founder of Unfiltered Audio:
http://www.unfilteredaudio.com

Hipster Ambient Music for Plants :-)

But this is actually a nice video with good examples of how to use Silo.
I like the midi steering of grains part at the end

https://youtu.be/eSQ4guiGOsE

Cepheus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:55 am Hipster Ambient Music for Plants :-)

But this is actually a nice video with good examples of how to use Silo.
I like the midi steering of grains part at the end

https://youtu.be/eSQ4guiGOsE
nice feature to be able to 'play the grains', but Crusher-x and delta-v audio Spacecraft can also do it, even with MPE... (both FX plugins, but can be used with samples..)

still a nice addition to my granular arsenal, could buy it thanks to a very friendly KVR member, who gave me his $50 voucher (and in return i gave my $25 to some one else.. as i do more..).

so for $36, already dabbled around, great FX, many possibilities, didn't experience the clicks yet, although i used a envelope type, that, o well. great that there are envelope type to choose, enough to get different textures. the mask is also nice, will certainly be a big part.. the spatializer, yes! but the granulator, does it's job.

only worked with it, for an half hour.. so will explore it more..

didn't use any preset yet, why should i? for me it's dialing to the source, but that's me.

EDIT: indeed a pity that the modulation features aren't a part of it. but automation, or in bitwig.. or in a soft modular.. enough other possibilities.

reason? make it more accessible? cpu usage?

I'm a big Unfiltered Audio fan and I was excited about trying Silo. So far I like the granular section but really dislike the reverb. The reverb often at times sounds very ugly and blown out. Pairing the granular section with 2caudio B2 is providing better results for me. I'm missing the modulators and it would be a helpful addition if they added even just a few modulators.

Looks like this should have been named 'Marmite' :)

Return to “Effects”