Logic on iPad today?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The leak I heard about was for it to be announced at WWDC in June, and to (sadly) be a subscription. I hope that turns out to be half right

Yep, subscription software of any kind is a “hell no” from me.

Otherwise, potentially interesring. *If* it offers much beyond Cubasis (plus the plugins I own).

I hope it comes in WWDC

I doubt that will happen.

I‘m pretty sure that GarageBand on iOS is in many ways a separate code base from the desktop version.

The desktop versions are clearly just different build targets (meaning: some features of Logic are simply de-activated for GarageBand, while some experimental features like the loops may be built into GarageBand first).

For iOS, Apple would have to either port or replace the Pro App framework with something which is capable of presenting each GUI element both in a touch-friendly, as well as in a mouse-friendly way. Entire interaction concepts would have to be rethought when your hand blocks a certain area if the screen. All gestures which are available on the track pad would have to adjust to the fact that there isn’t a click concept.

If you would limit it to iPads with the keyboard and track pad, why port it at all? Do you really want to carry a thunderbolt docking station everywhere?
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

I love my iPad and use it a lot with Korg Gadgets etc, but I pretty much came to the conclusion that more complex DAWS (even with special tablet modes like Bitwig on my Surface Pro) are still a PITA on a small touch screen! You just can't beat a big screen and a window/icon/mouse/pointer environment for DAWS, not yet anyway.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It's fine with me if they don't bring Logic to iOS... but then Garageband needs a significant upgrade. Garageband is excellent on iOS in terms of workflow. It is my favorite iOS DAW but it has a few painful deficiencies.

Now that iPadOS has full mouse and keyboard support, it'd be interesting if they created a hybrid version of Logic that adapts depending on situation. With the new models featuring M1 chips and Thunderbolt ports you could connect an external monitor, then run full Logic with a mouse or trackpad.

Tronam wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:31 am Now that iPadOS has full mouse and keyboard support, it'd be interesting if they created a hybrid version of Logic that adapts depending on situation. With the new models featuring M1 chips and Thunderbolt ports you could connect an external monitor, then run full Logic with a mouse or trackpad.
Plus the new M1 iPad Pro is now faster than the top of the line 16" MBP!

I guess that if Apple is putting that M1 CPU in the iPad Pro, they are gonna also have a DAW to use on it. Either some version of Logic, or a massively updated Garageband.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”