The riffs you hate (and why you hate them)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AND the edge of seventeen

If I hear that white wing dove sing a song sound like she's singing one more time I swear to gerd

Ooh baby ooh

Said ooh
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Daimonicon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:44 pm
Dirtgrain wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:23 pm
Daimonicon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:40 pm There is no riff that I hate. There are tons of songs I really dislike but I don't hate them either. I don't listen to radio and haven't done that in years. So I only listen to music I like. I don't spend time thinking about music I don't like. Life's too short for wasting time. I shouldn't had wasting time on this topic either. :dog: :D
You cannot appreciate the good without having the bad as a reference. Perhaps by taking such measures to avoid things you don't like, you are making your enjoyment of the things you like all the lesser. Or not.
Wrong! I know what is good music for me without having to compare them to what I consider bad music. That doesn't make me like something lesser at all. On the contrary. I have more time to listen to what I like. I've been listening to music so many years that I know in an instant if I will like something or not.
i dont tend to hear anything i dont personally choose.
except if i nip the shop, or theres sometimes kids playing stuff on there phones on the bus.
its been a while since i had a job where we would be forced to have some crap radio channel on.

when i worked nights, in manc.
there was a station called galaxy fm (not sure if it still exists) but at midnight, rather than pay djs to do the night shift, it was a looped recording of about half hour of the latest hits, then the news, then the same six hits...
till 7am :cry:
even if you happened to like one of the songs, by the end of the night, you wanted to kill the artist,
then the night after...
and the night after...

it got changed once a week or so, if any new tunes started to sell well.

it was shit.

vurt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:10 pm the edge.

there, i said it.
I don't mind some of the Edge's delay shenanigans, but have you seen this? 😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8dZwXnMrRU
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

yup, love bill bailey :tu:
i saw part troll live, and bewilderbeast.

the kraftwerk one is great too, or portishead doing the news i remember being really good!

The one that could drive me to murder is "Young at Heart" by Scottish popsters The Bluebells. That twiddly diddly minor/major hybrid that surely can only have come about via some horrific genetic mutation, makes me want to punch someone 😉

I don't easily hate synthesizer riffs.

Yet there's one which makes me almost crumble: the solo of Lucky man
I'd even prefer a piece of chalk on a school board.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Timfonie wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:04 pm I don't easily hate synthesizer riffs.

Yet there's one which makes me almost crumble: the solo of Lucky man
I'd even prefer a piece of chalk on a school board.
God, yeah! You can just imagine them planning the solos.

Carl and Greg: Remember, nice and understated is the feel we're going for. Less is more...

Keith:

Wink 2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vurt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:17 pm
Daimonicon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:44 pm
Dirtgrain wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:23 pm
Daimonicon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:40 pm There is no riff that I hate. There are tons of songs I really dislike but I don't hate them either. I don't listen to radio and haven't done that in years. So I only listen to music I like. I don't spend time thinking about music I don't like. Life's too short for wasting time. I shouldn't had wasting time on this topic either. :dog: :D
You cannot appreciate the good without having the bad as a reference. Perhaps by taking such measures to avoid things you don't like, you are making your enjoyment of the things you like all the lesser. Or not.
Wrong! I know what is good music for me without having to compare them to what I consider bad music. That doesn't make me like something lesser at all. On the contrary. I have more time to listen to what I like. I've been listening to music so many years that I know in an instant if I will like something or not.
i dont tend to hear anything i dont personally choose.
except if i nip the shop, or theres sometimes kids playing stuff on there phones on the bus.
its been a while since i had a job where we would be forced to have some crap radio channel on.

when i worked nights, in manc.
there was a station called galaxy fm (not sure if it still exists) but at midnight, rather than pay djs to do the night shift, it was a looped recording of about half hour of the latest hits, then the news, then the same six hits...
till 7am :cry:
even if you happened to like one of the songs, by the end of the night, you wanted to kill the artist,
then the night after...
and the night after...

it got changed once a week or so, if any new tunes started to sell well.

it was shit.
Oh, I've been there too, 16 years ago, and that same kind of radio station played the same songs over and over and over again just like it was for you. Horrible. And when I went home I still had one of the awful songs stuck in my head.
Last edited by Daimonicon on Tue May 11, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Actually no, the solo on Lucky Man was Kieth Emerson just noodling around on and getting used to a synthesizer. He was mortified when they insisted on leaving it on the recording.

Personally i don't hate any riffs. i've made it part of my life Not hating anything or anyone. I rarely ever use the word. However there is a lot of riffs i dislike but it's almost always the case that i was over exposed. So, name any top 40 piece that i was subjected to and i likely don't like the riff. But as someone already posted i don't spend much time thinking about riffs (or most things) that i don't like. There's still plenty to like.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

mississippi queen ,
ftw ...

AWESOME riff that

also Going For the One is easily the greatest rock album ever

Kesha Tik tok

jancivil wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:00 pm also Going For the One is easily the greatest rock album ever
Sez you :hihi:
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”