Picking a DAW

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AnX wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:55 pmsolutions: http://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtopi ... =0#p120022
Too late now. I'd originally intended to keep using Orion for live work, because Cubase takes way too long to load a song, but it has become too unstable with a lot of newer plugins. I think I actually prefer Studio One, now that we've finally found a good replacement for Wasp. It was Wasp that kept us interested in Orion more than anything.
machinesworking wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:03 pmI've talked about the SOC and how that means the same SSD in this configuration will be faster than in your PC with a standard motherboard system.
Possibly but it won't be faster than my dual SSDs. And, interestingly, when I tried to look this up, I discovered that there may be serious problems with M1 Macs and their SSDs. This is just one of many articles on the subject -
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/m1-macbo ... our-laptop
This, of course, is just the kind of thing early adopters of anything have to put up with, it's not exclusive to Apple. That said, the kinds of premiums Apple charge should mean they are held to a higher standard but their ardent fans usually fall over themselves to make excuses for them.
So far the weak link in this is graphics, which isn't really a concern to many of us. I run two external 1080p monitors off of a 9 year old MacBook pro here. I'm sure the M1's can do that.
GPUs do a lot more than just run monitors these days, they are able to take a lot of load off the CPU for things like drawing application and plugin GUIs and enabling all those cool realtime, animated waveforms and such. I imagine that the M1 is probably pretty good at that stuff, though.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:02 am now that we've finally found a good replacement for Wasp.
What are you using?

Saw the thread title, came here to talk about how the ecosystems behind Logic and Ableton Live make them far and away the best choice for beginners, saw that it's turned into a fight about Apple.

Fwiw I got an M1 MacBook Pro after 20 years with windows. I don't care about benchmarks but I can get about 30 to 40 CPU-heavy synths going at the same time in Ableton and about 50 to 60 in Logic if they are native Silicon. My cheaper i7 from 3XS in 2017 with a NVidia graphics card could do about 10-15.

Double Tap wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:20 am Saw the thread title, came here to talk about how the ecosystems behind Logic and Ableton Live make them far and away the best choice for beginners, saw that it's turned into a fight about Apple.

Fwiw I got an M1 MacBook Pro after 20 years with windows. I don't care about benchmarks but I can get about 30 to 40 CPU-heavy synths going at the same time in Ableton and about 50 to 60 in Logic if they are native Silicon. My cheaper i7 from 3XS in 2017 with a NVidia graphics card could do about 10-15.
Not really a fight, more a habitual and totally predictable derailment. I'm in the Logic and Live camp too, killer combo. Which version of Logic you running? How you dealing with the, on paper, limited RAM?
Mod edit wrote:
hlgr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:02 pm Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will give reaper and logic a shot, then decide and stick to it.
note the OP made his choice and no, we will not have yet another derailment into mac vs pc
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”