TDR / OD DeEdger - anyone actually using this?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just out of curiosity, as the only one I have never tried, or used. I Do have the whole Tokyo Dawn Records - Bundle, though.
https://www.tokyodawn.net/od-deedger/
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Interested as well.

I don't know what's exactly going on under the hood. To me, this plugin just sounded like a tight dynamic bell filter. I used it a few times but when I bought Soothe, I had no need for it anymore.

I occasionally use it

SeeingInMidi wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:32 pm I don't know what's exactly going on under the hood. To me, this plugin just sounded like a tight dynamic bell filter. I used it a few times but when I bought Soothe, I had no need for it anymore.
I think its basically like a transient shaper(the delta of two envelope followers)that uses that as a sidechain or something to target only the edgiest parts of transients?.it only seems to react to certain kinds of attack shapes on the fronts of hats and such which is what i vaguely remember from demoing it.i mostly use the Sonnox Dynamic EQ to do similar-ish(not implying its implemented the same)things with its "onset"mode
I

I use it for certain material, when the recording used a poor microphone, that has perhaps overstressed treble and sounds too crispy or metallic when it should not, and with a normal EQ it would become just dull.
Certain male vocals that sound harsh and husky, and this enters in unbalanced sudden moments, it can catch very nicely!
The voice sounds still brilliant, but not that crude any more.

Used it recently for clearing up a nasty digital file. Did it very simply and sounded almost analogue. Impressed.

avi* wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:07 am Used it recently for clearing up a nasty digital file. Did it very simply and sounded almost analogue. Impressed.
What analogue gear would you say it most reminds you of?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

At a stretch, i'd say maybe high ips tape? It has a "musical"kind of de-essing and tucking in of high transients on well calibrated decks at least. Lower ips tends to eat up the transients in a slew limiting/clipping kind of way.

De-Edger can approach the former. Considering it is a state aware de-esser of sorts. Its not just sensitive to the frequency content, but also the contour, or "edge"if you like of the transients like tape is
I

Yeah, it's very much like iZotope's Spectral Shaper (not Sculptor). Not that far from a dynamic "de-esser" but still different in that it works more on the initial transient portion of the waveform, not just targeting a frequency range as a whole - so real good for taking the sting off, for example, hihats and snares, even on the master bus.

Can add a transient softening/smoothing type effect that is reminiscent of tape.

It's the only TDR plugin I don't have!

like mogwaiboy said, except that i'd like to add that it's EXTREMELY transparent.

between it and kotelnikov you can save a lot of tracks that would be otherwise unusable (i fixed a terrible, clonky kick track, once) and clean up tracks which just need a little extra polish.

although this sounds kinda douchey, it's not a tool you will necessarily get much out of if you don't have pretty decently trained ears.

It is, it's really transparent - and has all the TDR hallmarks of quality (double precision 64-bit internal processing etc). But yes, it's a niche tool, not something you would use all over your mix. Sometimes you want crispy transients so you leave them alone, but other times the "CHH" spike in the snare transient is just... harsh - and using a regular EQ takes too much away from the sound - yet De-Edger can de-harsh it completely surgically.

It's nice but I still usually just reach for a multiband transient shaper. Using a crossover and the built in Bitwig transient control plugin actually made for smoother results from spikey recordings for me. If you don't have a multiband transient shaper then this one does the "harsh high end" trick very well. I find even the built in cubase multiband envelope can do what I need for far less cpu. TDR is great but they generally take a bit more CPU than I want to give up for most tasks.

Edit: for some sounds with a nasty clip (including aliasing) in the high mids this does wonders for. Stuff like tracks overprocessed with a multiband compressor (c4....) Can be cleaned up amazingly. It's still just not a go-to for what it's designed for in my DAW. I only use it if there's serious trouble.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

It's just the thing when it's just the thing, unfortunately it's not just the thing very often, here, but when it is, it is. :) Has saved me a few times.

I personally don't think it sounds anything like tape.

I don't see the tape analogy/ comparison. Tape can have the same horrible high mid spikes under many circumstances.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Effects”