Automatic phantom center plugin

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
3829 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Tue May 11, 2021 3:42 am

Is there a plugin that would automatically center the stereo image without too much interference?

I tried Melda MAutoStereoFix but it analyses the audio and it doesn't work in my case where the stereo image is all over the place.
PA sucks

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 11, 2021 3:43 am

PA sucks

KVRian
996 posts since 3 Jan, 2019 from Holland

Post Tue May 11, 2021 4:40 am

Not exactly the same, but maybe Sideminder can help ? https://www.raisingjakestudios.com/plugins.html
More BPM please

KVRAF
5753 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Tue May 11, 2021 4:56 am

dionenoid wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:40 am
Not exactly the same, but maybe Sideminder can help ? https://www.raisingjakestudios.com/plugins.html
Nice! I have been looking for something similar to that and was planning to write one myself if I had to. (My idea was, when negative correlation is detected, invert the phase of one side at the next zero crossing. There might be some consequence to that that I don't really know, though.)

KVRian
1368 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Tue May 11, 2021 6:01 am

Maybe you could simply use any M/S plugin and increase the M part also ? Instant recenter guarenteed...
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

KVRAF
3804 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Tue May 11, 2021 2:50 pm

There are a few plugins that can give you "collapsed mono" as well, rather than the typical "extracted M" signal. MathewLane StereoDelta does it - he calls it "true mono folddown".

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 11, 2021 10:50 pm

I don't want it to collapse - i want the phantom center to move to center while retaining stereo info (like moving a stereo pan knob) :)
I tried limiting and M/S tricks and decouple compressors and even iZotope RX level matching, but nothing is "quite right".

so far i only found https://www.boomlibrary.com/sound-effects/recenter/ that does it fairly naturally.

I went with manual stereo pan automatisation in this particular case, ReCenter fails on transients.
PA sucks

KVRian

Post Wed May 12, 2021 4:38 am

Maybe you could also simply apply mono to the lower frequencies... when the stereo of a track is really f#cked up, there’s sometime nothing better you can do... It will recenter the global image while maintaining a feeling of stereo...
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Wed May 12, 2021 6:41 am

DJErmac wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:38 am
Maybe you could also simply apply mono to the lower frequencies... when the stereo of a track is really f#cked up, there’s sometime nothing better you can do... It will recenter the global image while maintaining a feeling of stereo...
yeah no, this is like bandoneon L/R and Piano Hi/Lo. Imo just not recorded optimally
PA sucks

KVRian

Post Wed May 12, 2021 6:16 pm

A very filtered (no high frequencies at all, just to emphasize the low frequencies content) fully centered reverb might help reinforce the feeling of center power in this case.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Thu May 13, 2021 1:18 am

Yeah not a bad idea - i collapsed both piano and bandoneon for the reverb feed
PA sucks

Return to “Effects”