SILO - spatial reverb from Unfiltered Audio / PA

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:41 pm Looks like this should have been named 'Marmite' :)
cooking pot?

WasteLand wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:58 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:41 pm Looks like this should have been named 'Marmite' :)
cooking pot?
marmite is advertised with "you either love it or hate it" as a tagline.

it's brown beer waste, tastes nice on toast.
looks like ass smearings.

people in the uk eat some weird shit. :shrug:

love marmite
australians do vegemite
which is not as nice

I wish the audio stored in the buffer when using the Pause Write feature could be saved within the DAW session and reopened. Right now, if you close your session you are losing the audio used for granulation in the buffer.

@Unfiltered Audio: Possible in an update?
Last edited by Neon Breath on Thu May 13, 2021 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Demoing SILO, as I generally like combinations of grain and reverb (e.g. Palindrome, GrainSpace, etc.), as well as Unfiltered Audio's plugins. First impressions (presets), not particularly pleasant. Most seem harsh and glitchy, and hard to envision as musically useful. Maybe it gets better, perhaps at some more subtle settings?

i’m enjoying it
i forgot it’s a reverb
probably for the best

dave dove wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:34 pm love marmite
australians do vegemite
which is not as nice
UnAustralians tend to spread vegemite too thickly. The merest hint is enough

vurt wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:34 pm
WasteLand wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:58 pm
cooking pot?
marmite is advertised with "you either love it or hate it" as a tagline.

it's brown beer waste, tastes nice on toast.
looks like ass smearings.
i love that the french invade england (and what is england, and what was england at that time, geographically, and all that fighting among eachother. england is a part of the united kingdom, ahum, wales and scotland and england. and then you have the commonwealth!).
why i love that, a lot of words ended up in the english language, a lot...
like Marmite. i like it the french way, so you, yes you!, can make a joke..

didn't know, or forgot the slogan. aha. mmmmh.. yes. yes. quite fascinating.

rj0 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:08 am Demoing SILO, as I generally like combinations of grain and reverb (e.g. Palindrome, GrainSpace, etc.), as well as Unfiltered Audio's plugins. First impressions (presets), not particularly pleasant. Most seem harsh and glitchy, and hard to envision as musically useful. Maybe it gets better, perhaps at some more subtle settings?
i use Silo now in bitwig to make sounds, out of recordings, slice them to sampler instance.
i didn't even checked the presets.

i can be wrong but with these kind of effects, although there are other examples that have presets that work???, you have to really dial in to the source. the source is very important, if a window type works or not, etc. etc.

but me thinks, the sounds i make, o well, they are for me at this moment, quite musical.

so dial in. grain size, 'birth' rate, the mask is important. o well, all the parameters are 'linked'.

shall perhaps take a look at the presets...

GrainSpace i don't have (checked the YT vid for the first time on the website, me like what audiority makes), Palindrome i have, isn't a real granular, it uses a granular treatment, to scan through the samples. isn't a real granular? another take on granular, you may also say.
great plugin by the way, really really like it.

GrainSpace, is much more a granular Reverb. while Silo is a granulator + spatializer + reverb.
it think maybe GrainSpace can also be used that way, i don't know.

@fairlyclose
same with marmite :)

Didn't really like the workflow. I agree about the gain being all over the place.

Ill prob wait til i can get it cheaper. I dont get the monthly vouchers any more, prob because i told PA to fu*k off this one time. The lack of modulation sorta has me mildly suspicious that maybe theres a more fully featured product in the works, maybe like byome vs the multiband version of that. Not seriously suspicious, but you never know, the byome thing threw me for a loop. I blame PA of course, not UA for that.
I wouldnt be surprised if Dirk had some lame plan going in somewhere. Allthough, i can see there not being a ton of context for the modulation system. :shrug:

Either way, I can wait a bit.

*by fully featured, i meant in regard to the granular tech, not the reverb part.

I mean I really like it, but the more I use it, the more I wonder why there is no modulation. It's really a shame. Can only hope it's being added in an update...

gondii wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:01 pm I mean I really like it, but the more I use it, the more I wonder why there is no modulation. It's really a shame. Can only hope it's being added in an update...
Same here. I like Silo. Yet the lack of modulation is quite surprising to me. It seems Silo could be improved by adding even just a scaled down minimalist version of UA's modulation system. Nevertheless, I'm still planning to buy it. 8)
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

Return to “Effects”