Halion 6 vs Falcon

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Falcon HALion 7 HALion Sonic 7 Collection

You misunderstood... its not possible at layer or program level because the envelopes require a voice to trigger it. Falcon can be a little confusing in that sense since you have multiple layers of modulation in the patch hierarchy. To use an envelope to modulate a filter, you assign a filter to each key group and use a key group level ADSR. This is simple enough if you're using a single oscillator spanning the whole key range... if you're bringing in hundreds of multi-samples, you need to select them all, and in group edit mode add a filter to all of them. That way each sample when its triggered will trigger the ADSR for the filter on that specific sample. So yeah, totally possible, just getting your head around it is a little weird in the beginning as its quite different to other synths/samplers.

I use Halion 6
I haven't really opened it up to be honest
All the tutorial videos are over 10 minutes long
And have very stoney Droney middle ages geezers that don't get invited to parties on them
I am in some way attention deficit so I haven't explored it much

To reply to my own thread anyone know where I can find snippet style instructions or shorter text and image based or videos on halion wavetable synthesis then reply here please

its so true that yt can really affect how cool a synth is. Bitwig has the same problem, all the video tutes on it are hours long by people who are super technical and love going down tangents etc.

this vs that threads are pointless, people should just use what they like better and if
they like both, use them both and be happy. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Unfortunately, both VSTs cost a good chunk of change and IIRC, there's still no demo for Falcon. Not everybody can afford to set their money on fire and toss it out the window of a speeding car.

There's more to an instrument than its sound. There's also the fun factor--is it fun to twiddle its knobs or is it a clicking, paging, menu-diving chore? I've bought based on the sound I liked, but no demo, and gotten burnt. Now, I demo everything, no Falcon for me. I dislike the sound of HALion, so not for me either.

Thus, I enjoy these types of threads which bring up matters other than sound which may affect people's choices.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

layzer wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:19 am this vs that threads are pointless, people should just use what they like better and if
they like both, use them both and be happy. :idea:
No, it's not pointless. My original question was

"I'm wondering if there is anything in Halion, particularly synthesis wise that Falcon doesn't have? I was interested in Halion 6s "next generation wavetable synthesis" but I already have Serum."

What I got back from people with experience of both was a discussion about both the different types of synthesis available in both VSTs, a discussion re the quality of these different modes and a comparison with Serum.

Basically I got specific answers to a specific question. Answers that allowed me to make an informed decision and I now have both.

The post is over 3 years old but seems to be attracting some neagativity so I'll see if I can lock it.

In the spirit of the post before this, my own comments for the benefit of anyone who googles HALion 6 vs Falcon I would say the big win for me from HALion 6 is it's ability to autosample. This allows me to create little sample sets from hardware synths with no memory. Granular I don't use much, but as per the replies back in 2018 the wavetable/ resynthesis in HALion 6 is more featured.

After 3 years HALion is still at 6 and there isn't any FM synthesis.

Falcon is now Falcon 2 and has gained a number of things, the one that stands out to me is a new additive engine. The previous one (that still is included) is an organ type oscillator, the new one is more like the one in NIs Prism.

So thanks again for those people that answered in 2018.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Instruments”