What delay and reverb units should I buy?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hey everyone :)

I’m after a delay and reverb unit to add to my setup.

I’ve been producing on Ableton using a Windows laptop. I used delay FX plugins by The Interruptor to get some awesome dubby effects that were incredible! Check them out here: http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_donationware.shtml (http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_donationware.shtml)

I’ve recently bought a MacBook and unfortunately The Interruptor’s plugins are not compatible with MacOS, so I’d love to get some physical delay, echo and reverb units to achieve the same FX.

I have a few analogue synths in my setup and they’re run though a Mackie Onyx Blackbird FireWire interface.

Any suggestions?

Check out Outer Space and Alborosie Dub Station by AudioThing.

www.audiothing.net

Are you looking for hardware fx for your outboard? cant beat an Korg NTS-1- hardware for the cost of software! 3 stereo fx including shimmer and other very cool verbs, delays and modulation fx...you can also load in new 3rd party fx including stuff like granular delays (clouds) etc...oh, and its also a full digital synth! Around 100 USD

https://www.korg.com/uk/products/dj/nts_1/
Last edited by SLiC on Thu May 13, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Strymon Big Sky is an awesome reverb unit. I have a Vesta Kozoh DIG-410 delay unit which is fantastic for dub delay, feedback, etc if you can find one.
Lotuz2019 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:05 pm Check out Outer Space and Alborosie Dub Station by AudioThing.

www.audiothing.net
OP is asking about hardware (this is the hardware forum) ;)

You're right. :zzz:

Nevermind, just saw that it's a hardware question. :)

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:34 pm Strymon Big Sky is an awesome reverb unit.
is it very "dubby" though?
it is lush but i don't associate that sound with the dub delay sound.

id be after a bbd delay like the memory man for starters. (electro harmonix).
or a good tape emu. again ehx, look at the grand canyon, it also has a nice reverb(well a couple) and a memory man algorithm too
a lot of delay/reverb for the money imo (the canyon is a mono earlier version with shorter looper and doesn't have a magnetic drum delay algorithm, but would cover the reverb/delay need)

check pootube for some videos :tu:

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:34 pm Strymon Big Sky is an awesome reverb unit. I have a Vesta Kozoh DIG-410 delay unit which is fantastic for dub delay, feedback, etc if you can find one.

I’m impressed by the Strymon! Thanks for the suggestion.

Noob question but can you use guitar pedals as units in a setup with only synthesisers?

Erica Synths Zen Delay. It’s a little flawed and a lot awesome for dub, as far as I can tell.

Don’t just buy Strymon this or that. In fact, dare to be different and not fall into that trap (unless, after checking all alternatives, you decide it’s the best foe you).

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:13 am Erica Synths Zen Delay. It’s a little flawed and a lot awesome for dub, as far as I can tell.

Don’t just buy Strymon this or that. In fact, dare to be different and not fall into that trap (unless, after checking all alternatives, you decide it’s the best foe you).
I have the zen delay, and indeed it can be awesome for dub because you can ride the feedback unlike any other. Usually, the it’s too easy for the feedback to get too crazy, but with the zen delay, you can dial in pretty much infinite feedback that is similar, but not the same as a looper. The filter is fantastic, especially the bandpass, and delay times can be very short for flanger effects.

And it’s still flawed. Besides introducing phasing when used as an insert, I find any mode other than tape pretty much useless. The digital mode has negative feedback artefacts that I don’t consider solved in the firmware update (for comparison check out the quartz mode in Valhalla delay for really beautiful clear digital delay), the vintage mode is basically a bitcrusher, the filter is not a SVF so you cannot smoothly sweep from lp→ BP→ hp, and what must be the worst design flaw in delay history, there is a 2k sine tone that is apparently built into the filter design. Yes, it’s really low, but any compressing, boosting, or limiting on the mix will make it readily apparent. I struggle to dial in the delay time harder on the zen delay than any other, and the tune drive easily distorts, so if you want to add a touch of saturation, you have to lower the input, which will also in turn raise the noise floor.

That being said, if it wasn’t for the 2k sine tone I would probably buy another one. It has a presence and dimensionality due to the stereo filter with sounds amazing, and because of the range of delay times and feedback behavior, you can really play this delay.

DigiTech TimeBender is pretty cool for delay/arpegio effects. Stereo in/out, can run with guitar or line inputs, expression pedal input. They're available on eBay.
Mostly guitar stuff here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4arlipIwfIk
Keyboard and experimental mic stuff here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHRk2HO-kpo

I'd say reverb in combination with delay is a personal choice. A matter of taste. There's so much gear out there.

That said, if you want it in a single box then Source Audio Collider (€415) and KMA Cirrus (€199) come to mind. If you want separate boxes then I like the EHX Oceans concept, for delay Boss DD concept. I probably go for Oceans 12 and DD3T.

TC Electronic is a different case, they have an app with lots of presets for their devices, but their site loads completely mashed up at my device, so I can't check it. But usually they are regarded as best for buck boxes.

I usually prefer rack units or my Echo Fix for outboard delays but I really like the EHX Deluxe Memory Man 1100TT.
It's very low noise for a BBD and oozes character. Put a graphic EQ pedal or filter in the feedback loop, and you've got dubby repeats for days.

I recently was lucky enough to find Lexicon MX200 rack unit, and don't use anything else since. Just an incredible reverb and other effects as well and just $150 new.

I had a spare spdif in and out so just connected those and off I went. But support analog too.

The Strymon Nightsky is not your usual reverb unit.

https://youtu.be/VjfbnqA4vcQ

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”