2021 - Favorite Drum Software?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Xln audio addictive drums 2 and studio one Impact xt with Atom controller. Tried Battery 4 I like some of the samples from Komplete 12 but something about the browser and adding it to Battery 4 is just sluggish compared to using S1 and Impact XT .

stash98 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:47 pm With XO, I know it has really advanced sample browsing. So for example if I found a kick to use, would it guide me to claps and snares already pitched in a way that compliments the chosen kick? Just trying to get an understanding of how that browsing AI works. I believe one of the negatives is that it doesn't separate its stock drums from the existing user sample libraries, but to me thats not a huge deal.

Also with the sequencer, it looks like it can apply really nice feel/swing to the drums, is that your experience? I'm typically making house so I just like that nice swung MPC feel. For whatever reason that just comes naturally with an old MPC and a bit of swing dialed in, but I feel like a good software drum sequencer should be able to replicate it as well.
There is a 2D map of points, each point is a sample. The samples are arranged by similarity to each other. For example, kick drums are on the bottom left. Lower pitched drums are all the way on the bottom left. Higher pitch ones go up and right toward the center. If you keep going in that direction you'll encounter toms and eventually cymbals.

I don't know how you select kit pieces but XO does not find different percussion to complement another. What it does is find similar samples of the same percussion type. In any event, what makes it fast is you can browse so many in quick succession, find one that is close enough. Then audition similar sounding ones to find the perfect one. And enough shaping controls to make it even more perfect. Then finding other kit pieces, and you can do it while auditioning a beat in context with the rest of your song. There's a demo you should try if this isn't making sense.

You can filter the stock drums out. I highly recommend people do not give XO their entire library top-level folder. If you break it up into subfolders that make sense to you, you can filter by folder, e.g. genre/style.

The sequencer is great, it has really nice groove controls. You can make them global or individual to tracks. You really should demo it, the feel has to be experienced to understand. It's so pleasurable.

I get really low levels with heartbeat on multi outs using s1.5.

bundoo wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:04 pm I get really low levels with heartbeat on multi outs using s1.5.
Levels are fine with HB in Bitwig.

Slate Digital Drum 5 and Battery 4
Both are easy to use and cheap

almost forgot one GEM - vps phalanx. Yes, it is old but feature rich. I'd love to see a sequencer in the next update though.

can't wait for Nerve 2
Nerve is so good. in a normal world, Nerve would have Serum's popularity and vice versa.

acYm wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:57 pm can't wait for Nerve 2
Nerve is so good. in a normal world, Nerve would have Serum's popularity and vice versa.
I expect people think it's a bit expensive.

Has this been officially announced? I recall Steve mentioning that it's a possibility at some point, but it didn't sound very imminent.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Spring Goose wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:47 pm
Quite expensive.

cryophonik wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:16 pm
Has this been officially announced? I recall Steve mentioning that it's a possibility at some point, but it didn't sound very imminent.
There's a beta in the private forum.

Spring Goose wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:29 pm
Have you tested?

perpetual3 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:21 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:47 pm
Quite expensive.
This. I've always thought it looked interesting, but for 200 bucks it's always been a quick pass.

that plus the fact that you can't see the individual sequencer lanes displayed together -- though I imagine v2 will improve on that drastically.

nerve beta is v1.286
v2 is a way off but coming

perpetual3 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:16 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:29 pm
Have you tested?
No, i don't have Nerve yet, i'm thinking of getting next month.

Return to “Instruments”