IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

I’m not sure I would describe making music with computers as ‘issue free’ but hardware can have its complications when it comes to recording!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I just found out that IK made it possible with the firmware 1.1.1 update to access the full ADSR of the amp and filter envelope via the hardware interface. Hey, that's a nice addition at least. :)

Yeh, the original UNO so some great updates, a VST editor and a ton of free presets...I would expect no less for the PRO!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:04 pmI’m not sure I would describe making music with computers as ‘issue free’ but hardware can have its complications when it comes to recording!
Maybe not in absolute terms but I reckon working ITB has maybe 1% of the issues you have to work with/through when using hardware.
chk071 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:32 pmI just found out that IK made it possible with the firmware 1.1.1 update to access the full ADSR of the amp and filter envelope via the hardware interface. Hey, that's a nice addition at least. :)
Unfortunately, when they updated the firmware, it didn't update the front panel so you have to remember it's there.

Anyway, when I realised the NTS-1 doesn't have patch memory, I decided to give it a miss. Unlike Rocket, it is not the kind of thing you could repatch between songs in the middle of a live set.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

@bones- yup, no patch memory (need the computer librarian that is free from Korg) but if you were using it just for fx it is super fasts to change fx on the fly. Definitely not as convenient as having the fx built in the Pro and saved with patches however, so more for the studio than live.

I posted my adventures with the original UNO an the NTS1 over on the NTS-1 thread, but it sounds amazing as expected - analogue oscillators with filter/lfo etc, one digital oscillator with filters/lfo etc and amazing stereo fx...and everything can be controlled by VST editors if you want or it can all be stand alone! A lot of synth for under £200, if you already havean UNO and cant run to (or get!) a PRO I highly recommend it.

Quick general question....

I didn't have a mini jack to jack to try just a simple cable, had to make a midi socket to plug with the respective jacks on due to the UNO having a stupid non standard jack size! I am assuming something like this would work as aa direct connection- anyone tried?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Jack%EF%BC%8 ... 212&sr=8-3

Technically the 2.5mm and 3.5mm MIDI implementation has been accepted as a standard (when following their wiring specs as we do) by the MIDI Association for a while now. Just FYI.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:55 pm Technically the 2.5mm and 3.5mm MIDI implementation has been accepted as a standard (when following their wiring specs as we do) by the MIDI Association for a while now. Just FYI.
So if I buy a simple audio TRS cable 2.5mm one end and 3.5mm the other end to go from UNO to a 3.5mm jack midi synth it will work? (Thanks for answering by the way)

SLiC wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:00 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:55 pm Technically the 2.5mm and 3.5mm MIDI implementation has been accepted as a standard (when following their wiring specs as we do) by the MIDI Association for a while now. Just FYI.
So if I buy a simple audio TRS cable 2.5mm one end and 3.5mm the other end to go from UNO to a 3.5mm jack midi synth it will work? (Thanks for answering by the way)
You might want to double-check the wiring against the MIDI.org specs, I'm not sure every 2.5mm-->3.5mm would work: https://www.midi.org/downloads?task=cal ... d=download

I'm figuring it must work as I am using a 2.5mm to Midi socket connected to a Midi Plug to 3.5mm...I'll just ordered this to try- nothing ventured :-) https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J4SN43 ... yp_imgToDp

SLiC wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:50 pmI didn't have a mini jack to jack to try just a simple cable, had to make a midi socket to plug with the respective jacks on due to the UNO having a stupid non standard jack size! I am assuming something like this would work as aa direct connection- anyone tried?
My Uno came with the adapters to plug into those 2.5mm MIDI sockets, so I can use a normal MIDI cable with mine, if I need to.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:32 am
SLiC wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:50 pmI didn't have a mini jack to jack to try just a simple cable, had to make a midi socket to plug with the respective jacks on due to the UNO having a stupid non standard jack size! I am assuming something like this would work as aa direct connection- anyone tried?
My Uno came with the adapters to plug into those 2.5mm MIDI sockets, so I can use a normal MIDI cable with mine, if I need to.
Yeh, I have those...but when you are connecting something that also has a trs jack for midi ( 2.5 mini jack or 3.5mm standard jack) it’s neater and simpler to just use a standard cable, you don’t need a midi cable or adaptors at all when dealing jack to jack midi. Probably everyone has 3.5mm to 3.5mm however, 2.5mm is a bit less common so I had to but some adaptors...this was useful given all the different types of mini jack midi you may find... https://minimidi.world/

PS- I now have the 4-pole state variable filter plug for the NTS, so it can just about do 3 Osc, 2 filter (series only) and that leaves 2 selectable stereo FX (I also got the distortion mentioned earlier, its very good!). Not bad for a shade under £200 and definitely retains that lovely 'UNO' sound despite the 3rd oscillator being digital!

I don't use MIDI any more, except through USB, it feels very 1990s.

BONES wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:24 pm I don't use MIDI any more, except through USB, it feels very 1990s.
Useful when you are not using a computer and have to sync drum machines, sequencers and synths!
Also I never use my UNO connected by USB when recording to a DAW, I find the USB cable picks up noise.

Uno is definitely noisy when using USB data, so is Uno Pro, but I always use my computer, and this is why -

The image doesn't seem to be displaying, for some reason, so try this link - http://novakill.com/stuff/CableHELL.jpg Not as dramatic but it does the job.

This is from rehearsal last Wednesday evening. I've greyed out a few things that aren't part of our set-up (office-related krap in the meeting room we use). That's just four instruments - my Analog Keys (off screen to the left) and Uno Pro, plus my bandmate's Subsequent 37 and Alesis drum pads (blue lights, top-left). Plus, of course, my Surface Pro and a pair of speakers (Eris 4.5). Even this simple set-up requires so much effort, I sometimes wonder why we bother with hardware at all. At home it's just the computer and Uno Pro.

Just look at it, it's a cable nightmare! There was so much noise when we first got set up that it was useless. This is how it looked, 20 minutes later, after we'd chased most of it down. At least we didn't have to use any power conditioners or hum destroyers, even though we both brought them with us.

There is only one USB cable there, connecting the Alesis drum pads to the Surface Pro so he can belt out sounds from Ferrum, which is now our live drums default soundbank. Before we get up on stage again, I'll probably have to add Rocket and my Roli to the set-up (we could call our music "Rocket Roli"), and maybe my KeyStep as well.

SLiC wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:38 pm I'm figuring it must work as I am using a 2.5mm to Midi socket connected to a Midi Plug to 3.5mm...I'll just ordered this to try- nothing ventured :-) https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J4SN43 ... yp_imgToDp
Just to reply to my own post for closure, it work- a simple cable with a 2.5 one end and a 3.5 the other- perfect midi, tiny short cable!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”