Budget Ryzen vs. M1

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think if we were to consider an average consumer, what are the odds if he were to be given a 1000USD to go buy a laptop or PC for music production, that he would return with a windows laptop/PC that is at par, for music production, out of the box, with Apple M1 ? I would say close to zero. This is why for the average bloke, non PC geek, OSX is the better option. I was hoping that Microsoft would pay more attention to the pro media market, but it seems not.

I think a lot also has to be said of driver support. I think it would be safe to say that the 2 of the most popular entry level interface makers, MOTU and Focusrite, have sub par drivers on Win10. Not to mention that interfaces getting the maximum press, UA, Audient, antellope, situation on Win10.
I think RME and maybe a couple of other high end companies remain the only exceptions, but then if you use RME you already know what you doing.

I think, very despondently, from what I have researched over the past week, with the introduction of the m1 and the surge pricing on most PC components, the landscape has definitely changed. This is not a Win vs OSX debate, we can get both to work. This is getting what you pay for scenario.

For a new entry level to mid tier machine, there is nothing to justify a x86 Win10 PC over M1.
For high end Windows still cannot be beat.

This thread is a trip ... I was gonna build a ryzen 3600 cpu , then Covid19 hit now I'm on an older i5 MacBook pro which I upgraded the ram 8 gb and an SSD 1000gb ... which was given to me . Waiting for Covid to get over , get my music room back , it turned into a work from home office for the wife . Now there is a chip shortage worldwide for everything cars Xbox ps5 Nintendo switch etc etc etc . Lolz .yeah them M1 mac mini looks appealing if u absolutely have to have something , but I ain't biting .

chk071 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:40 pm You an do that with any cheapo audio interface these days. Keyword loopback.
SOLVED :
With the focurite we have to expose loopback channel to windows.

Unsolved, with the above setting you get a loop feed. So no go. Seems it is implemented to only be one way. Shame, unless i stand corrected.

Hey Chk! So this got me curios. I just borrowed a 3rd gen Scalett from a pal, and this interface has loopback functionality. Ok, so I got Win10 sounds into the DAW, but what I really also need in tandem is the DAW sound to Win10.

I dont see how the current restriction would work for streaming or Zoom calls ? Please advice.
Last edited by Sidhu on Fri May 14, 2021 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

chk071 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:40 pm You an do that with any cheapo audio interface these days. Keyword loopback.
Oh, interesting - I got Focusrite gen2 so I wasn't familiar with the feature but apparently the gen3 has that. And I guess lot of the other ones in similar price range.

But either way, this specific thing explains why most of the past videos were as they were.

With the 3rd Gen scarlett at least, the software return within the Focusrite control panel, routes audio from Windows and the DAW to the same vistual bus. So I cannot independently control the audio returns from Windows and ASIO. it causes a feedback loop.

it doesn't have separate virtual tracks (1/2:3/4)?strange. i don't use focusrite, but i guess i can believe it. some of the old mackie audio interfaces would never work on windows, but were plug and play on macs. that's the kind of thing that would give the mac heads a hard on.

Nope I can see only one virtual Loopback bus, which will take muliple audio sources from both the ASIO and MME devices, but sum em and send it to one stereo virtual bus. So I cannot send and monitor at the same time.

For Zoom colabs, I would like to assign zoom out to loopback bus for example 3:4, arm in DAW and send only to monitor cue, then I would like to send the mix out from the DAW (minus Zoom in channel) to loopback bus 1:2 which is the audio source for zoom. I cant seem to achieve this, everything just goes to bus 1:2 cause its the only one available.

Its a mess or im not getting my head around it. I think the RME Mixer can do this ? Can something like this be achieved in OSX easily ?

Sidhu wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:20 am Can something like this be achieved in OSX easily ?
https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/ you said easily and didn't specify cheaply/freely too.
Always Read the Manual!

Oo thats expensive at a 100USD! I was thinking Core audio could accomplish this natively ? But seems very very appropriate!

Just got me thinking, Can Dante Via be used on the same machine.. hmmm...

Oh the Windows fanboys. Yet, the entire world (and that is hardly an exaggeration) uses MacBooks for eg live performances. Native macOS audio performance and stability is simply unmatched on Windows, and Microsoft doesn't seem to care to make it better. Also the Windows audio drivers situation is rather not funny (anyone actually uses Wasapi? There was supposed to be low latency version of it that no one seem to have seen working). Thank Steinberg for developing ASIO years ago, which made Windows actually usable at all with audio (at least in any semi-pro-enthusiast way). So yeah, make stupid Windows Me remarks all you want, but facts are still facts, and those are strongly on the Apple side when it comes to audio.

Nope, you're wrong Johnny! Linux is the best. Apple is crapple, Mac is whack, Cook is a schnook. Besides, Apple is just a Microsoft front company, just like Microsoft is an IBM front company, just like IBM is a DARPA front company. And that is why we must be strongarmed into ARM, because Intel has the intel and so that's the next big play. Kiss it.

Linus Bushes

fedexnman wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:32 am Linus Bishes

I drank ...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”