VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRer
8 posts since 1 May, 2020

Post Thu May 13, 2021 7:39 am

BONES wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:43 pm
trusampler wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:10 am
Does Softube vsti not allow for program changes / assign midi controllers to change patches? Pretty basic design if so,I'm wondering how guys would perform live with this synth,without program changes.
You still have to have your computer running, so you'd just change it in your DAW.
How would you change the patch in your DAW without using the mouse and clicking? I'm completely new to MIDI controllers and demoing the Softube Model 84 now. I can't figure out how to change patches from the controller (Arturia Keylab MKII).

KVRAF
8472 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Thu May 13, 2021 8:04 am

melodeath wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:39 am
BONES wrote:
trusampler wrote:
Does Softube vsti not allow for program changes / assign midi controllers to change patches? Pretty basic design if so,I'm wondering how guys would perform live with this synth,without program changes.
You still have to have your computer running, so you'd just change it in your DAW.
How would you change the patch in your DAW without using the mouse and clicking? I'm completely new to MIDI controllers and demoing the Softube Model 84 now. I can't figure out how to change patches from the controller (Arturia Keylab MKII).
Unfortunately, too few synths allow you to MIDI Learn the next/previous buttons to change patches. However, many [but not all] synths do support Program Changes messages. Not sure if Model 84 supports Program Change messages, but you can check out the manual on that. Some synths will respond to the computer keyboard's arrow buttons, which is the next best thing.

KVRian
792 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from tittyland

Post Thu May 13, 2021 10:44 am

My only issue with this synth is when I click the tool icon in Ableton 11, it takes a bit for the synth to actually show up. And the Gui is very slow to respond if I click on a knob.

I put an Ableton LFO on the model 84 filter envelope and it crashed ableton multiple times (happens when the gui is displayed)

So I can’t use it with reliability yet. Windows PC here.

KVRAF
1736 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Post Thu May 13, 2021 11:27 am

No issues using Bitwig modulators or UI response on Mac Catalina for what it’s worth.

GRRRRRRR!
11601 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Thu May 13, 2021 6:24 pm

melodeath wrote:
Clicking with your mouse is exactly how I would do it. Or you could set each patch up on a separate MIDI channel and switch channels to switch patches.
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | JP6K, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Knifonium, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket.

KVRian
1356 posts since 2 Jul, 2007

Post Thu May 13, 2021 6:50 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:04 am
melodeath wrote:
BONES wrote:
trusampler wrote:
Unfortunately, too few synths allow you to MIDI Learn the next/previous buttons to change patches. However, many [but not all] synths do support Program Changes messages. Not sure if Model 84 supports Program Change messages, but you can check out the manual on that. Some synths will respond to the computer keyboard's arrow buttons, which is the next best thing.
I contacted Softube tech support, and they mentioned they would pass this along to the developers for a feature request. With companies emulating synths,I personally find it a disservice when they forget to add or leave out intentionally the way the synth actually performs in terms of midi. This VST synth is too good,to not have it work well with midi controllers, or your hardware synths.

To answer the question to a previous poster above. If you check out Arturia's V-Collection,or Spectrasonics Omnisphere they have implemented a midi learn function, that allows one to map buttons to their browser,which is essentially like midi program changes, albeit without banks.For example, I also own a Arturia Keylab MK2 and ( Arturia V-collection, Pigments ) work similar even when mapping it to my Motif XS7. So any controller will work with Arturia's new synths, and Spectrasonics Omnisphere in terms of midi mapping browser support.

I'm happy to report that tech support is at least passing it on to their development team,hopefully they see the need for such a feature. I personally hate the mouse when playing synths,and turning knobs,or changing patches, imo that's what hardware excels at.
Cpu: Win10/Intel Core i9-10900K + Apple Mac OSX/BigSur/Slate VMS/Antelope Audio Discrete 8 Synergy Core
Synths: Sequential Prophet 10|OB-6/Deepmind 12/Virus TI2 61/Waldorf Blofeld/Yamaha Motif XS7/Akai MPC X

KVRer
8 posts since 1 May, 2020

Post Fri May 14, 2021 6:39 am

trusampler wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:50 pm
To answer the question to a previous poster above. If you check out Arturia's V-Collection,or Spectrasonics Omnisphere they have implemented a midi learn function, that allows one to map buttons to their browser,which is essentially like midi program changes, albeit without banks.For example, I also own a Arturia Keylab MK2 and ( Arturia V-collection, Pigments ) work similar even when mapping it to my Motif XS7. So any controller will work with Arturia's new synths, and Spectrasonics Omnisphere in terms of midi mapping browser support.
Yes, the Keylab MKII works great with Analog Lab (I don't have V Collection....yet), but it's annoying I can't seem to change patches or presets with other software. So far, I've only tried Softube and IK's Syntronik, but in both of them I have to change the preset on my computer and not on the controller. I'm not sure if MIDI Learn is the answer to that, but this is a totally new area for me, as I mentioned. I haven't tried MIDI learn for mapping knobs and buttons, but that seems simple enough, at least in Softube.

KVRAF
1736 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Post Fri May 14, 2021 6:49 am

Don’t hold you’re breath for any updates from Softube. They are definitely not in the business of adding functionality.

KVRist
261 posts since 14 Oct, 2018

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:14 pm

Update in softube central today seems to have fixed all the blurry UI and text issues when resizing the 84
(Windows 10 for me)

GRRRRRRR!
11601 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:29 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. I was just making a few new patches for this the other night. I expected to be bored with it in a week or two but it has held my interest longer that that. Mind you, I still haven't actually used it in a song anywhere. I need to find something it can do because I do like the sound of it.
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | JP6K, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Knifonium, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”