Logic Time Stretch question

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So a bandmate sent me something she recorded with her phone that I want to play around with before she rerecords it for reals. It's just her singing over a guitar part.

Here's what I would like to do, but I don't know how much of this is actually possible using only the tools from the latest version of Logic.

1. Add the file to Logic with adaptive tempo so it creates a grid and a tempo map. (I know this is possible.) The average tempo is around 94 bpm but there are many tempo variations.

2. Time stretch the audio so that it is consistently at 94 bpm rather than jumping all over the place around 94 bpm. I know there is a manual way to do this using flex time, but it seems like a pita. Is there an easier way to "auto timestretch"?

Basically, I just want to smooth out the tempo variations enough so that I can start working on other parts to play (strings, bass, etc.) when she records the song for real to a click track. So the end result doesn't have to sound particularly clean or great, but has to be good enough that it doesn't make it unlistenable.

I hope this makes sense. I'm actually having a hard time describing what I want to do here, so hopefully I conveyed enough. Thank you for any advice!
Why'd you slice off my hand?

After you adapt tempo of the project and everything is correct, right click the audio region and select Tempo/Apply Project Tempo to Region
Now you can change the project tempo either by deleting all the changes on the tempo list editor or tempo track and entering a constant value of your choice,
or create a new alt tempo track and keep the original one to be safe.

probably be a fair bit of timestretching. This is a bad idea

music _is_ all over the place. Logic is probably ('adaptive tempo' is) going to allow you to have a viable tempo map for lining everything up. That you'll see a mess just because it's variable BPM (anything is that was played by humans) is a mistaken premise. Unless you want to see it, you aren't likely to notice it.

I'm ok with it sounding not great. The timetretched audio wouldn't be used in the final version of the strong. I want to do this just as an interim step for the purpose of arranging the song. So I am experimenting with this as an aid to composition rather than to produce something that will be kept as is.

This actually worked really well for what I was trying to do, so I just wanted to say thank you for letting me know about this. Logic is such a deep program, so it is kind of intimidating at times!
ozinga wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:12 am After you adapt tempo of the project and everything is correct, right click the audio region and select Tempo/Apply Project Tempo to Region
Now you can change the project tempo either by deleting all the changes on the tempo list editor or tempo track and entering a constant value of your choice,
or create a new alt tempo track and keep the original one to be safe.

megadude wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:09 pm This actually worked really well for what I was trying to do, so I just wanted to say thank you for letting me know about this. Logic is such a deep program, so it is kind of intimidating at times!
No problem. Glad it worked :)
I agree that some features could be more obvious.

If she records using the Apple iOS Music Memos app, you can import that file into logic with a flexible tempo already attached to it. Could just be me being delusional but that tempo can seem more in the pocket than one applied afterwards.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”