Cheapest GPU that can feed a 4K monitor ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

The title says it all ...

What are the cheapest options for a graphic card that can makes 4K resolution ?

Thanx

If you just want to be able to feed a 4K monitor, the integrated graphics in recent AMD and Intel CPUs should be able to do that. Now if you're planning to do gaming/rendering, that's a whole different story, and frankly there are no good options right now due to the chip shortage and the mining craze.

HK-47 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:03 pm If you just want to be able to feed a 4K monitor, the integrated graphics in recent AMD and Intel CPUs should be able to do that. Now if you're planning to do gaming/rendering, that's a whole different story, and frankly there are no good options right now due to the chip shortage and the mining craze.
I have an i7 4770k. It can handle 4k at 60 hz but as soon as my CPU is working a bit everything becomes super laggy. No, I'm not gaming.

Four years ago I picked GTX 1050 just for that reason, but you could go lower with 1030.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:27 am Four years ago I picked GTX 1050 just for that reason, but you could go lower with 1030.
I finally went with this one https://www.newegg.ca/asus-geforce-gt-7 ... 6814126433

I hope it will do the job.

Well,

I got my GT 710 and I'm disappointed.

It can do 4K but it's not super smooth. There is some lags. Like for exemple in Ableton Live if I press tab to go from session to arrangement view there is an annoying delay (only if I hook a 4K monitor ...not with 1080).

The card have 4 HDMI output. I wonder if the bottle neck could be the HDMI cable. It's the one that came with the monitor which should do 4k@60hz but when I use the integrated i7 GPU I have to use displayport to get a "smooth" experience ...but that seams to slow down the cpu.

Could a better HDMI cable help ?

No, the GT 710 is slow, look at the Memory Bandwidth and Pixel Rate
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/g ... -710.c2614
Now look at the GTX 1050
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/g ... 1050.c2875

Yeah it's not the cable. The GT 710 is pretty ancient in GPU terms, and some newer integrated GPUs would actually outperform it. The GTX 1050 or GT 1030 would definitely be better, but looking at the prices on Newegg CA.. yikes. There are some AMD RX 550 cards in the $230 range, which are still also old and terrible value at that price, but should have no issues driving a 4k monitor. But these are from Chinese third party sellers and I have no idea if they're any good.

Maybe try checking the used market in your area to see if there are any cheap cards in the AMD RX 4xx or RX5xx series, or the nVidia GT 1030 (preferably the GDDR5 version, though it shouldn't matter as much if you're not gaming) or GTX 1050.

The market for GPUs is just terrible at the moment. Everything that's in stock is way overpriced.

I don't know what your budget is, but whatever you decide to get, you might want to make sure it has as much RAM as you can afford, and that it has no fans, if possible. Fans will obviously add noise to your environment, and nVidia's GTX cards are not designed to be "quiet" -- they're designed to be fast.

As far as the RAM goes, get as much GDDR3, GDDR4 or GDDR5 as you can afford -- and make sure it's GDDR, and not DDR. The higher number means faster RAM, and the more of it you get on the card, the smoother your graphics will be (all other things being equal).

Obviously, you're looking for a compromise between high speed, low noise and low cost. Unfortunately, you can only pick two of those three. If you want a fast, quiet card, it won't be cheap. Similarly, a fast, cheap card will probably be fairly loud, due to the fans. (Some cards have up to three or four fans on them.) You'll have to decide what's most important for you.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:54 am
Obviously, you're looking for a compromise between high speed, low noise and low cost. Unfortunately, you can only pick two of those three.
Well, maybe. But not 'low cost' right now, or for the forseeable future...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

The gtx 960 isn't bad. I ordered one from szmz on aliexpress, it's faster than a 1050 by about 40-50%.

duplicate
Last edited by egbert on Sun May 23, 2021 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Are these cutting it at 4K?
https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Graphics-Card/GV-N1030SL-2GL#kf

I have used earlier models in this Gigabyte Silent series with 2.5 K monitors and been fine with the performance and they are fanless => dead quiet.

planetearth wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:54 am I don't know what your budget is, but whatever you decide to get, you might want to make sure it has as much RAM as you can afford, and that it has no fans, if possible. Fans will obviously add noise to your environment, and nVidia's GTX cards are not designed to be "quiet" -- they're designed to be fast.
Might apply to GTX1060 and up, but i can say that my GTX 1050 is super quiet i can barely hear it, and its sitting on my table in an exposed external cradle.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”