Let's talk NI Action Strings 2 (Not whether phrase libraries are good or bad)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not talking about debating the pros and cons of a phrase style library in general but rather discussing this particular Action Strings 2 with composers who know how to make this kind of library work for them without sounding cookie cutter. I bought AS2 yesterday and I've barely scratched the surface but I plan on digging into it more today. The first Action Strings version I couldn't use. It didn't allow me enough space to make it my own comfortably but this new version is miles above it. The midi drag and drop is what I've been waiting for but that's only for starters with this new version.I'm still just starting to get into it. I will get a lot of use out of this for tv cues. I really like that AS2 is pretty dry compared to some other libraries and not saturated in reverb so it layers well with my other main string libraries like Spitfire, Areia, Metropolis etc. Maybe somebody has had more time to mess with it than I had so far.

dblock wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:31 pm I'm not talking about debating the pros and cons of a phrase style library in general but rather discussing this particular Action Strings 2 with composers who know how to make this kind of library work for them without sounding cookie cutter. I bought AS2 yesterday and I've barely scratched the surface but I plan on digging into it more today. The first Action Strings version I couldn't use. It didn't allow me enough space to make it my own comfortably but this new version is miles above it. The midi drag and drop is what I've been waiting for but that's only for starters with this new version.I'm still just starting to get into it. I will get a lot of use out of this for tv cues. I really like that AS2 is pretty dry compared to some other libraries and not saturated in reverb so it layers well with my other main string libraries like Spitfire, Areia, Metropolis etc. Maybe somebody has had more time to mess with it than I had so far.
Hi,

I have Action Strings 1, but never used it. I have been thinking if AS2 will be a different story, but still not sure about it. I would like to see a more detailed video walkthrough, and explanation of how to use it, ..etc.

I'm also not a fan of using phrase based libraries, so I'm already biased against these kind of libraries. Can you use this library just like a normal multi-sampled library, with non of the phrases ? also can one make their own phrases from scratch, without using any of the pre-made ones ?

How do you like the sound of these strings, i.e. their timbre, and how about playing them live, do they react nicely to the number of dynamics they have ?

Let us know how you get along with AS2, that would be very helpful, have fun creating some action strings tracks. :tu:

Cheers,
Muziksculp

You can heavily edit the phrases in AS2. Do check out the walkthrough video.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:53 pm You can heavily edit the phrases in AS2. Do check out the walkthrough video.
I don't know if maybe it's me and something I'm doing wrong but when I drag and drop a midi phrase into Cubase the playback is a little different starting with the rhythm. Just not exactly the same.Strange.

You may want to check the preferences in Cubase, for 'Ignore Master track on merge' or like that, I think by default MIDI import will respect your tempo track if on.

I tried to use version 1 few times but the timing was pretty bad in places. Also I found the strings to sound a little lifeless, which should be the opposite for a library such as this. V2 does look more flexible but I get that same dull plastic sound from the demos. I'll try it when I update to K14 but it's not something I'll be buying separately.

jancivil wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:08 am You may want to check the preferences in Cubase, for 'Ignore Master track on merge' or like that, I think by default MIDI import will respect your tempo track if on.
Thanks jancivil but unfortunately didn't work. Do you have this plugin?

Return to “Instruments”