2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I f**ked up. I watched a Qu-bit Data Bender video processing drums.

Soooo. Yeah, that’s coming.

My 2nd pod makes no sense but should be fun.

elxsound wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:54 am I f**ked up. I watched a Qu-bit Data Bender video processing drums.

There's a serendipitous 'wow' factor with the Data Bender, that will 'justify' it rather quickly, I suspect. It will do some cool-ass-shit to what you run through it, and run it into, (just) with the things you have acquired recently. :tu:
elxsound wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:54 am My 2nd pod makes no sense but should be fun.
Even if you did end up getting the smaller sized one, you'll find a use for it at some point, OR they will most likely take it back and credit you (less a restocking fee, and postage, at worst) in exchange for the size you actually meant to get. :wink:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:57 am
elxsound wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:54 am I f**ked up. I watched a Qu-bit Data Bender video processing drums.

There's a serendipitous 'wow' factor with the Data Bender, that will 'justify' it rather quickly, I suspect. It will do some cool-ass-shit to what you run through it, and run it into, (just) with the things you have acquired recently. :tu:
elxsound wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:54 am My 2nd pod makes no sense but should be fun.
Even if you did end up getting the smaller sized one, you'll find a use for it at some point, OR they will most likely take it back and credit you (less a restocking fee, and postage, at worst) in exchange for the size you actually meant to get. :wink:
I don't think I'm going to regret it all. I'm still waiting on Morphagene (finally shipped out today) and I've got some realistic ideas for getting these to work together.

I actually stumbled on Qu-bit Bloom first and thought I might as well check out Data Bender. I then watched as much as I could, but my opinion didn't change. Having a strong whiskey/ginger beer didn't hurt the process either.

I ordered another 48x Pod that came today. It was a good call for now. I need to research quite a bit more before figuring out what I'd like to get for a larger rack. I think you're right too that I could still use these later.

I'm sure there's another pod in the very near future, but it's going to have to be gates, envelopes triggers, LFOs, and/or whatever clock inputting modules for keeping things in sync. Basically the things I should have gotten before Data Bender. Either way, I'm having fun and this will something to look forward to.

vurt wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:29 pm https://store.synthrotek.com/Arcadian-R ... c_188.html

this looks ok, simple triggers, no bells n whistles.
wonder if i can find similar in the uk?
Oh, I'd forgotten all about those. Cool. TY :tu:

No where near as deep as the MG-1, notwithstanding it is a real "arcade" quality button, designed to be mounted on a variety of thick surfaces.
SYNTHWERKS MG-1-scale.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Sat May 15, 2021 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

elxsound wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:18 am I don't think I'm going to regret it all. I'm still waiting on Morphagene (finally shipped out today) and I've got some realistic ideas for getting these to work together.
Awesome! There is a 'smile' element to it, for sure. 8)
elxsound wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:18 am I ordered another 48x Pod that came today. It was a good call for now. I need to research quite a bit more before figuring out what I'd like to get for a larger rack. I think you're right too that I could still use these later.
Oh cool. I thought you may have gone with your original plan, and gotten the smaller one. That would work for what you thought of using it for, but in having spent countless months (as many do) figuring out my own needs, a 48hp seemed more practical/functional, and 'aesthetically' viable. Good call.
elxsound wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:18 am I'm sure there's another pod in the very near future, but it's going to have to be gates, envelopes. triggers, LFOs, and/or whatever clock inputting modules for keeping things in sync. Basically the things I should have gotten before Data Bender. Either way, I'm having fun and this will [be] something to look forward to.
That's the important bit right there. :tu: ... I won't tempt you wiiii [deleted] :-D

I need a lot of cables to connect my new UMC1820 interface to my patchbay, so figured it's time to have a proper try at making some.

Using multicore cable to keep things compact and tidy. Maybe I should have just taped/heatshrinked some narrower balanced cable... Will try a mixture of Rean and Neutrik jacks to decide if the 3x price difference is worth it!
trs-pairs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My DC7 arrived on Monday but I had to wait until today to set it up. I should have bought one of the straight flex cables for the Field Kit FX as the angled ones can't reach in to the socket. For now I just put my old daisy-chain cable onto the end of a flex cable to fit in there.

The right-angled cables are great for the MN stuff and Volca though.

Image Image Image Image

elxsound wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:18 am I don't think I'm going to regret it all.
depends how much you like sleeping or eating really. i keep forgetting to do them.

sprnva wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:15 pm My DC7 arrived on Monday but I had to wait until today to set it up. I should have bought one of the straight flex cables for the Field Kit FX as the angled ones can't reach in to the socket. For now I just put my old daisy-chain cable onto the end of a flex cable to fit in there.

The right-angled cables are great for the MN stuff and Volca though.

Nice one and nice clean setup!

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:52 am That's the important bit right there. :tu: ... I won't tempt you wiiii [deleted] :-D
:hihi:

No worries, I'm gonna need the help, so temptation be damned! I'm still working from your earlier make noise suggestions Contour, Dynamix and Function but it seems they've discontinued them all. I can still find them 2nd hand (some at crazy prices).

So far what I'm looking at is Maths, mostly because I see it on every rig (and as mentioned, every MN demo video makes use of it... great marketing trick).

I was also checking out both Pamela's New Workout and Qu-Bits Bloom. I don't know enough about either one, but both seem like decent ways to work with incoming clock while outputting synced variation.

And is there any reason to not pick up an A-140 Doepfer ADSR? I'll have to dig back in this thread for the conversation about different ADSR choices, but I know that I'm missing having one available (at least one for now).

envelopes are good yup :tu:
i have a doepfer adsr, the 143-2.
simple envelopes, not really much to say :hihi:
im not sure how flashy an envelope can get, unless you want mseg.

although, maths can do envelopes ;)

My 2nd pod makes no sense but should be fun.
i can think of worst mistakes :hihi:

sounds very good on animal samples in morphagene then fed to mimeophone too :hihi:

vurt wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:04 pm envelopes are good yup :tu:
i have a doepfer adsr, the 143-2.
simple envelopes, not really much to say :hihi:
im not sure how flashy an envelope can get, unless you want mseg.

although, maths can do envelopes ;)
No flash. I just want dead simple straight-up ADSR.

I saw videos on Maths being used for an Envelope, but it's not what I'd like. It seems very similar to the slope on 0-Coast. Trust me, I love that Maths can also do envelopes, but I'd hate to rely on it for just that task.

I'll have to play around with the idea of the 143-2. It's bigger than I'd like for the current pods setup, but 4 vs 1 is something to consider.

yeah, i get wanting maths for more, i just meant to be going on with :)

you can always use 1 channel of maths for that, leaving the other 3 free for...

as for 4 vs 1.
it's nice if for example you want strega, short fade in, filter long fade...
you need 2.
for the price of 2 singles, you get 4 :shrug:

obviously space is the issue, need to decide yourself there im afraid. which is more important for your needs?
someone else may know of smaller envelope modules? im pretty sure dreadbox to one, with just 4 faders, but it's 4 envelopes, you just set each one, then move to the next, in like 10/12 hp (might not be them, think it was toonertik bought that early last year?)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”