Any Mixcraft users here? What's wrong with it? ;)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/EDPMGQqPHd8

The question came to me when I checked their website and - on paper, at least - it seems like a pretty complete, well-featured DAW with:
  • powerful MIDI & audio editing, incl. (basic) Melodyne integration
  • side-by-side clip launcher, like Bitwig (or Logic)
  • rudimentary modulation system
  • comprehensive suite of instruments & FX
  • complex routing
  • big mixer, similar to Harrison's or Reason's
  • video editing

And all of that is $150 for the flagship version and $75 for the 'lite' one :o

But I barely hear about it.

Why is that? Is it the GUI from the '90s? :shrug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

The GUI actually got a decent update for v9, but yeah, it's still rather dated and basic looking compared to other DAWs.

I've seen it referred to as GarageBand for Windows, so that probably has something to do with the low profile around here. It's kind of like a moped -- fun to ride, but nobody wants to be seen on one.

Mixcraft is excellent. It's more like Logic for PC not GarageBand imo. The whole package is great. I have it too (upgrade price to pro was very cheap). It's a complete DAW especially since 9 (the 64bit version even can load your old precious 32bit plugins!). The included 3rd party plugins are great. I have Cubase and the Conroller for it but if not i would stick with Mixcraft for sure.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

I hadn't heard much about it either, but this post made me look. It does look pretty cool, and I like that the only limitation on the "lite" version seems to be extra goodies, not track count or anything. I'm comfortable where I am, but if I was looking, this would definitely be on the list.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

Got the cheaper version from the forum for $15. It’s really fun! It has a guitat tuner on each track, great for guitarists. The browser connects directly to freesound.org so you have unlimited free samples, basically.

It doesn’t have a way to make the tracks taller/shorter using the mousewheel, which annoys me.

Hi

I can't think of anything seriously wrong with Mixcraft after a couple of years of regular use.

Granted I have not created BIG projects on it so I can't vouch for that aspect, but for a dozen or so midi tracks with associated synths, a host of FX and automation - it seems fine.

The main reason I use it is that it is relatively lightweight, uncluttered and isn't trying to do so many other things that the competition seems to be doing.

Coming from XT I really prefer a (relatively) minimalistic sequencer and this and 'MuLab' are about all that is available, at least in my searching.

GUI... I just accept that it isn't the most attractive thing in the world - I would like to 'see' a major revamp, but as someone has already stated this has just happened so I don't expect it to be changed again any time soon.

I know that visuals make a massive difference to people and me included, but I (just about) manage to accept that the ease of use and focused feature set work for me to the point where I accept a limited visual delight!

telecharge wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:14 pm It's kind of like a moped -- fun to ride, but nobody wants to be seen on one.
:hihi: Perfect analogy.

Somehow soothing that there's DAW's which go under the radar. Imagine there were 20 or 30 others from which you'd have to choose. ;)

Nothing wrong with Mixcraft and a lot right. Wish the interface scaled though...

Mixcraft is a very cool DAW , i have this since version 7 and did some tracks with it. Nice mix of Ableton Live and Cubase Elements or something and for all those people who want to work with a DAW thats easy to work with. I love that little play/loop button on each clip in the arrangement by the way, so useful :)

jonljacobi wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:50 pm Nothing wrong with Mixcraft and a lot right. Wish the interface scaled though...
Hi,

Mixcraft 10 (in early stages of development) should have vastly improved scaling.

Greg
- https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic. ... 60#p139035
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Tried it before few times, but always found something off for my taste, thing with this smaller players is they have potential, but they need longer time to get there, you just don't get into something on that premise, what happens you write bunch of feature request's and realize you are just better off using something else, than get frustrated until any of those see the light of day.

EDIT:

So downloaded again to give it a shot, project took too much to load and than first thing put me off, default mouse scroll action is zooming, to actually scroll you need to press Shift, that's kind of stuff that will alienate some folks that used any DAW before...

That’s kind of picky, but it’s a wider convention than just DAWs that zooming by default rather than scrolling flaunts. Not following convention and forcing people to go against habit does tend to irritate.

Passing Bye wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:33 am So downloaded again to give it a shot, project took too much to load and than first thing put me off, default mouse scroll action is zooming, to actually scroll you need to press Shift, that's kind of stuff that will alienate some folks that used any DAW before...
You can change how scrolling works in File -> Preferences -> Mouse Wheel

rageix wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:08 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:33 am So downloaded again to give it a shot, project took too much to load and than first thing put me off, default mouse scroll action is zooming, to actually scroll you need to press Shift, that's kind of stuff that will alienate some folks that used any DAW before...
You can change how scrolling works in File -> Preferences -> Mouse Wheel
Thanks, I was looking for Key Commands or Shortcuts option in Preferences :lol:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”