MIDI Routing Within a DAW?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRAF
2065 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Post Fri May 14, 2021 7:52 am

Hi Everyone,

I am just now getting started with Renoise, and am trying to record the midi output from a VST sequencer into a track. Unfortunately, Renoise apparently will only record midi from an external "midi device." Thus, I need to output the midi from the VST to one virtual external device (such as LoopBe), and then return the midi into Renoise from another external device (such as Loopmidi). I do not think I can use the same device for both, as I assume this will cause a feedback loop. Does anyone know of a program that can route the midi from one virtual device to another in this way? Or, is there a virtual midi cable that would allow me to route the midi internally from one channel to another, so that I can output on one channel, and have the data return on a different channel?

Thanks in advance for your help!

KVRer
11 posts since 19 Feb, 2011 from montreal

Post Fri May 14, 2021 9:04 am

an old app called MIDIox is still useful for routing virtual MIDI around a PC.

KVRer

Post Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 am

watch out for feedback loops, though

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri May 14, 2021 9:17 am

Thanks! Do you know if MIDIox works in Windows 10?

KVRer

Post Fri May 14, 2021 9:51 am

got it working here. use it mostly for diagnostics now.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri May 14, 2021 10:01 am

OK - thanks!

KVRian
541 posts since 14 Nov, 2005 from León, Spain

Post Sat May 15, 2021 2:32 am

You can do it with LoopMidi, or any other similar app. You just need to create two virtual cables, not just one, like you would with actual cables, and connect one from output to input and the other the other way around. I do this in every DAW I use, with VCV Rack, and Lemur to/from iPad. No problem here.
Cakewalk by Bandlab with all Sonar Platinum plugins and Melodyne Essential, Live 9, Komplete 12, a handful of hardware and software synths and some guitars. Currently obsessed by VCV Rack.

KVRian

Post Sat May 15, 2021 2:33 am

bharris22 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:17 am
Thanks! Do you know if MIDIox works in Windows 10?
Last time I tried, no. LoopMidi works fine.
Cakewalk by Bandlab with all Sonar Platinum plugins and Melodyne Essential, Live 9, Komplete 12, a handful of hardware and software synths and some guitars. Currently obsessed by VCV Rack.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sat May 15, 2021 7:43 am

JoseC. wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:32 am
You can do it with LoopMidi, or any other similar app. You just need to create two virtual cables, not just one, like you would with actual cables, and connect one from output to input and the other the other way around. I do this in every DAW I use, with VCV Rack, and Lemur to/from iPad. No problem here.
This sounds like exactly my situation. Can I ask how you connect the output from one LoopMidi cable to the input of another? Is this done within LoopMidi?

NTO
KVRist
342 posts since 8 Feb, 2011

Post Sat May 15, 2021 9:28 am

My (extended) experience
MIDIox works fine in Windows 10. Their bridging tool- Midi Yoke - no.
When doing both in/out via virtual cables, I use a port per direction and put MidiOx in the middle as the turn-around director.

KVRer

Post Sat May 15, 2021 9:37 am

NTO wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:28 am
My (extended) experience
MIDIox works fine in Windows 10. Their bridging tool- Midi Yoke - no.
When doing both in/out via virtual cables, I use a port per direction and put MidiOx in the middle as the turn-around director.
that's right. i use loopMIDI virual cables and MIDIox as like a patchbay.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sat May 15, 2021 10:22 am

OK - thanks. I will give this a try.

KVRian

Post Sat May 15, 2021 2:07 pm

bharris22 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:43 am
JoseC. wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:32 am
This sounds like exactly my situation. Can I ask how you connect the output from one LoopMidi cable to the input of another? Is this done within LoopMidi?
1. I create two LoopMIDI cables, LoopMIDI Port 0 and LoopMIDI Port 1

2. In my DAW, I set up LoopMIDI Port 0 as an output MIDI Port, and LoopMIDI Port 1 as an input MIDI Port

3. In the other app, I set up LoopMIDI Port 0 as input MIDI Port, and LoopMIDI Port 1 as an output MIDI Port.

That is all there is to it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”