Favorite granular effect?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
User avatar
KVRist
45 posts since 7 Apr, 2012 from Stockholm

Post Thu May 13, 2021 11:19 am

I'm having a lot of fun , and good results with this one:

https://www.audiority.com/shop/grainspace/

It's a bit like -Mutable Instruments- Cloud's (eurorack)

User avatar
KVRAF
2442 posts since 18 May, 2002 from up on Cripple Creek (CO)

Post Thu May 13, 2021 11:27 am

More a host than an effect per se, and a bit outdated at this point, but I still really like HourGlass.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Take music back from the suits and return it to the people.

KVRist
232 posts since 14 Jun, 2018

Post Thu May 13, 2021 2:52 pm

Output's Portal

KVRer
9 posts since 23 Jun, 2016

Post Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am

Another +1 for Output Portal. It can do the smeary blurry granular stuff no prob, but it's the way it can do synced-up rhythmic audio dismantling that got me onboard.

KVRAF
2071 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Post Fri May 14, 2021 3:26 pm

synthgeek wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:27 am
More a host than an effect per se, and a bit outdated at this point, but I still really like HourGlass.
Ditto for AudioMulch! :help:

KVRAF
1781 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Fri May 14, 2021 4:13 pm

I think Unfiltered Audio Silo could quality as a granular effect. I can't find a demo for it though...

User avatar
KVRAF
29976 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Fri May 14, 2021 5:19 pm

killmaster wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:13 pm
I think Unfiltered Audio Silo could quality as a granular effect. I can't find a demo for it though...
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... _silo.html
Scroll down to Downloads ...

KVRAF
1781 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Fri May 14, 2021 5:25 pm

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:19 pm
killmaster wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:13 pm
I think Unfiltered Audio Silo could quality as a granular effect. I can't find a demo for it though...
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... _silo.html
Scroll down to Downloads ...
Thanks! I tried that and it asked me for an activation key. I'll try it again though...

User avatar
KVRAF
29976 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Fri May 14, 2021 5:28 pm

killmaster wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:25 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:19 pm
killmaster wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:13 pm
I think Unfiltered Audio Silo could quality as a granular effect. I can't find a demo for it though...
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... _silo.html
Scroll down to Downloads ...
Thanks! I tried that and it asked me for an activation key. I'll try it again though...
IIRC you can choose to run it in demo mode.

KVRist
181 posts since 4 Feb, 2015

Post Fri May 14, 2021 5:30 pm

I have a few favourite granular effects. I really like Unfiltered Audio Byome and Triad, Ni Molekular cloud effect (simple but effective with the other effects in Molekular), Grayscale Supercell in VCV and the Toybox granular sampler blocks in Reaktor. In Eurorack I like Instruo Arbhar and the new granular instrument and effect in Expert Sleepers Disting Ex.

EDIT: I also often use Melda Production MGranularMB.

KVRAF
1781 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Sat May 15, 2021 4:39 am

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:28 pm
killmaster wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:25 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:19 pm
killmaster wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:13 pm
I think Unfiltered Audio Silo could quality as a granular effect. I can't find a demo for it though...
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... _silo.html
Scroll down to Downloads ...
Thanks! I tried that and it asked me for an activation key. I'll try it again though...
IIRC you can choose to run it in demo mode.
Yes, this did work, thanks! just needed to attempt to authorize.

KVRAF
1800 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Sat May 15, 2021 5:00 am

killmaster wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:13 pm
I think Unfiltered Audio Silo could quality as a granular effect. I can't find a demo for it though...
it certainly qualifies as a granular effect. it is a granular effect.. i hadn't expected it, but it really like Silo, making new sounds out of out, with source sliced/looped samples, from own recordings... and MPE.. for the sampler.. even from the same 'source' i can make quite some variants. also use other effects, but Silo, gives me control i want, now.

owning also Crusher-x, MGranularMB, Delta-V audio spacecraft. and byome and triad.
other granulars are 'synths'.

but me like SIlo. never used a preset, already mentioned, didn't even load one.. dialing in, for the source is so much fun.. MGranularMB can deliver also, and the others..
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Music & Soundscraping

User avatar
KVRAF
29976 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sat May 15, 2021 8:07 am

Portal, Silo, Litote & Texture all get used here. If I had to choose just one it'd be Portal ...

PTV
KVRAF
2215 posts since 5 Jan, 2006

Post Sat May 15, 2021 1:06 pm

I really like the granulator module on BYOME

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10996 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sat May 15, 2021 2:14 pm

LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:30 am
Kalamata Kid wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:57 am
IIRC Portal got a 10/10 rating in Computer Music magazine.
It's in my buy list.
What has been the lowest sale price up to now?
Portal is at its best price right now, $96, until one more week. Remember that license transfers are not possible, so buying it during the sale is little less risky. Of course, you can get a refund within two weeks if you don't like, but for this to work, you need to buy directly from Output.

If you are sure you want it, you can sign up on Time+Space and use your loyalty points to bring it further lower than $96.
What’s Time+Space?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Effects”