Spire Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elektro Synth 1.5 Spire Presets Spire

yup, bug confirmed here also. works fine when used after loading another preset, then use Init.

but if i tweak the Init preset, then use the Init button, it does not work (tweaked init preset remains unchanged).

v1.5.8, Windows 10, Live 11.

Thanks. :tu:

I'm sure it worked pre version 1.5.6 or 1.5.5 or something. I also saw that I have some additional files on the laptop in my user setting, like an ominous "spire2.cfg" files, which doesn't seem to be used by newer versions anymore. And, the spire_config.json file also has more entries in it on my laptop than on my desktop. I assume that there's something in there which doesn't allow the init preset to be initialized anymore.

What more could one possibly want than v1.5.6. Apart from bug fixes, of course.
It's got everything - even global preset search. So easy to find your sound, so easy to create new one.
I am still amazed by the clarity of Spire's output, smoothness of the envelopes and filters, quality of Fx. It blows away many hardware synths. As soon as I heard Spire back in 2013, I thought "thank God I don't have to buy Virus, or an old JP-8000". No more cables, no more overcrowded rooms. With Spire, I can make "superstrings" so rich, organic & natural that good old JP sounds like pre-historic technology :hihi:
If Jarre used it in version 1, then how great is v1.5. When I look at Top 10 VST lists, Spire is almost always present... You have to be deaf not include Spire in a modern DAW.
All you need today is a C.P.U.

frag wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:27 pm As soon as I heard Spire back in 2013, I thought "thank God I don't have to buy Virus, or an old JP-8000".
You're absolutely right. Spire has a lot of those synths (IMO). I agree about the onboard FX too. They're hands down the best I ever heard, on any synth.

Regarding "What more does it need" - well... there's always something you wished it would do, right. :) First and foremost, I wished it had wavetable oscillators, and wavetable import with Serum compatibility. I also wished Reveal Sound would add some filters with a bit better resonant behavior (the character of the filters in Spire is absolutely awesome, I just wished they would be a bit more analog, in terms of resonant behavior). I also wished Reveal Sound would implement the filter drive in a smarter way. The current implementation is horrible really. It should work without occupying a filter slot, and it should be more standard, I don't even know for sure how the filter drive works, because it's behaving so weird that I can't figure out what the parameters do.

Apart from that, there's not much I'd still ask for from it. Also, the things I mentioned might rather be something for a version 2. IDK. If they implement the things I mentioned, Spire would further cement itself as my go-to synth (it already is for VA unison stuff).

chk071 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:37 pm
frag wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:27 pm As soon as I heard Spire back in 2013, I thought "thank God I don't have to buy Virus, or an old JP-8000".
You're absolutely right. Spire has a lot of those synths (IMO). I agree about the onboard FX too. They're hands down the best I ever heard, on any synth.

Regarding "What more does it need" - well... there's always something you wished it would do, right. :) First and foremost, I wished it had wavetable oscillators, and wavetable import with Serum compatibility. I also wished Reveal Sound would add some filters with a bit better resonant behavior (the character of the filters in Spire is absolutely awesome, I just wished they would be a bit more analog, in terms of resonant behavior). I also wished Reveal Sound would implement the filter drive in a smarter way. The current implementation is horrible really. It should work without occupying a filter slot, and it should be more standard, I don't even know for sure how the filter drive works, because it's behaving so weird that I can't figure out what the parameters do.

Apart from that, there's not much I'd still ask for from it. Also, the things I mentioned might rather be something for a version 2. IDK. If they implement the things I mentioned, Spire would further cement itself as my go-to synth (it already is for VA unison stuff).
Yes, there's always room for improvement. But I do feel v1.5.6 to be a 99% complete product (which wasn't really the case before).
I think if you want analog, it's better to use, for example, Diva. Spire is classic VA, although it can deliver some nice analog emulations. Use Scorpio Black, turn on Warmth, X-Comp, and it's pretty analog... Of course, unlike Diva, those filters are not supposed to emulate old analog filters accurately.
What I like about the synth/filter engine is that patches almost instantly fit very nicely in a mix. That is a great time saver. What would I do with amazing individual patches, which can't mix together? Nothing. That happens with Diva often - patches sound great individually, but when you start layering stuff you run into problems.
Spire does it all quickly, both on aesthetic and technical level. It just works!
It started with machines the size of the whole room, more than 50 years ago, and now you have everything in the box under your desk. Even symphonic orchestra. Very Nice.

chk071 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:37 pm You're absolutely right. Spire has a lot of those synths (IMO). I agree about the onboard FX too. They're hands down the best I ever heard, on any synth.

I vaguely remember the choruses in the demo version, didn't like any of them, just like I never liked U-he choruses, they all sound thin to me. But maybe RA have improved them during the past year or so...

Not sounding like analog hardware would actually be a bonus to me, I don't like that dirty, raw type of sound with frequencies all over the place. I prefer the more polished HiFi sound.

I didn't particularly compare the Chorus to any external Chorus plugins, but, sounded good to me. I often use the onboard Shaper/Saturator, Phaser, Delay and Reverb, and those are really good. At least miles better than any other onboard FX I ever used.

Actually, they're so good that I wished they'd make Spire available as a FX version, so I can use the FX with other synth plugins.

chk071 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:49 pm I didn't particularly compare the Chorus to any external Chorus plugins, but, sounded good to me. I often use the onboard Shaper/Saturator, Phaser, Delay and Reverb, and those are really good. At least miles better than any other onboard FX I ever used.

Actually, they're so good that I wished they'd make Spire available as a FX version, so I can use the FX with other synth plugins.
The reverb certainly can't be worse than the one in Sylenth1 :hihi:

I never tried it, but, the other FX (I think I tried Chorus, Phaser and EQ) on Sylenth1 are really mediocre, to put it mildly...

chk071 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:06 pm I never tried it, but, the other FX (I think I tried Chorus, Phaser and EQ) on Sylenth1 are really mediocre, to put it mildly...
I actually liked those three, but the reverb sucks.
Well, I no longer use Sylenth1 these days, completely replaced by Retrologue 2, which has very nice effects :wink: Reminds me, I still need to sell S1...

OK, downloaded the most recent demo, it does sound nice.

Having said that, I do notice the same unpleasant grinding noise as on many other synths when using two oscillators detuned by 5 or 7 semitones and playing chords on mid to high octaves. That is one of the first tests I do when demoing a synth.
I don't see any saturation on. Warm and Boost are off, and the filter is perfeito, which I suppose means clean.

The mouse wheel's control resolution is very gross :o

Does a keytracking value of 500 mean no keytracking? 8)

e-crooner wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:12 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:06 pm I never tried it, but, the other FX (I think I tried Chorus, Phaser and EQ) on Sylenth1 are really mediocre, to put it mildly...
I actually liked those three, but the reverb sucks.
Well, I no longer use Sylenth1 these days, completely replaced by Retrologue 2, which has very nice effects :wink: Reminds me, I still need to sell S1...
Besides the effects, why would it completely replace it? I never hear much mention of Retrologue 2 here on KVR.

chk071 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:37 pm
Apart from that, there's not much I'd still ask for from it.
Granular?

Spire is OK but it's time for a new version with an updated framework for future development...

They've been tacking bits and pieces onto the main fuselage for too long now and it's lost a bit of focus..

Too many renovations...

Also...

It should have had wavetable import from the get go :)
No auto tune...

Return to “Instruments”