One Synth Challenge #146: Sinmad by NUSofting (Double Tap Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm glad I heeded the warning about updating from 0.9.8 to 0.9.9 during the competition, because I'm having trouble adapting some of my 0.9.8 patches.

The didgeridoo is hit particularly hard, as it relies on coordinated automation of mod wheel and aftertouch (along with pitch bend, sustain, and cutoff). AT was targeting pitch, and while it used to give a slight decrease in pitch it now increases the pitch. In my project, I can intercept the AT and use it to modulate the pitch bend automation. I'll probably give it a new target for future use. MW is targeting harmonics, and seems to be giving a much stronger response that changes the sound dramatically. The 0.9.9 release notes say, "Now the target parameter sets minimum value from which modWheel and aftertouch start the modulations." Am I understanding this correctly that if the harmonics knob is set to h, MW modulation of harmonics will now be from h to some h_max, whereas before it would be from 0 to h? If so, what determines the h_max; does it just go to the maximum value for that parameter? It would be useful to have independent control over both ends of the modulation range.

There seem to be some subtle changes to how the delay matrix works. Most of my patches sound about right with the default settings for the new controls, but the frogs sound darker and seem to be about right with a +1 octave shift. They're the only patch that was using 'resonators' mode with negative feedback. Is there a relationship between negative feedback and the octave shift, or is it something else?
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

eraze the borders wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:00 pm
liqih wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:40 pm Hi to all who sent their e-mail,

I sent the Sinmad 1.0.0 license, please check also your spam folder.
Hi Liqih, I did not receive an e-mail. Can you check again please?
Sent you a PM here

voted

I have voted.

Hello!
Where and when will the results/winners of the OSC be announced?
Best regards to all!

Voted!

elviecho wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:19 am Hello!
Where and when will the results/winners of the OSC be announced?
Best regards to all!
In this very thread, on the 16th of the month.

Voted. Some seriously impressive tracks folks :tu:

:phew: Voted! I tried to make it in time; sorry, who didn't get a comment. This OSC month is just crazy!) :clap:

Listened the tracks again today, for the third time, lots of interesting and good music. Now the question is: do they sound so good and interesting just because the OSCers are all great sound designers and any synth flourish in their hands or could I claim some extra worthiness for my synth? LOL

Thanks everybody, I voted.

Voted! Lots of great tracks. As is becoming customary, a disclaimer: I'm afraid I voted on a curve, to some extent.

voted

All Tracks Scored.
Thanks to everyone for the interesting music, and of course @liqih for the interesting tool by which we made it.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Voted. I'm really impressed by the wide range of composition and production this round. Great fun listening through this month. Sinmad brought out some very creative soundscapes.

+ I voted +

Awesome tracks, I'm sorry I didn't get to commenting on all of them.
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

Return to “Instruments”