The 1980's - Midi Sequencer Manuals

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRAF
1876 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Mon May 03, 2021 12:53 pm

Every talks about DAWs as they once knew them but rarely does anyone talk about the actual manuals...Having looked at the link below, it's surprising to find that even back in 1985 that terminology / features like punching in and out among others existed so early on.

It gives an insight into those early years of those that pioneered the age of computers in the development of music using basic computing technology in a time where there was no internet as we know it now, other than basic BBS and modems. If you wanted to know how your sequencer worked, you had no choice but to read the FM.

http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/files/MI ... %20III.pdf
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source Transcend Into Software - Hardware - Music - 2D & 3D Art - Film - Games - VST's - Ensembles - GUI Design - Science & Technology | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

KVRian
825 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Post Tue May 04, 2021 2:18 am

it's surprising to find that even back in 1985 that terminology / features like punching in and out among others existed so early on.
A lot of that terminology is taken from even older analogue consoles and tape machines. Punch in/out simply means recording a section over a previously recorded tape :)

KVRAF
21979 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Tue May 04, 2021 5:43 am

"Punching in" is hitting the record button on a tape recorder during playback and punching out is hitting it again to disengage the record head. To record over a limited section, not before you absolutely must.
The advancement of this in computers is the non-destructive capability, track versions/lanes/comping on top of not running out of storage space strictly as a fact of the medium.

User avatar
KVRAF
12806 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Wed May 05, 2021 1:48 am

SoundBlasters came with a sequencer, with a manual.
Screenshot_20210505-091801_Gallery.jpg
Middle pages:
Screenshot_20210505-091820_Gallery.jpg
:shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

User avatar
addled muppet weed
79350 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed May 05, 2021 8:28 am

AdvancedFollower wrote: ↑
Tue May 04, 2021 2:18 am
it's surprising to find that even back in 1985 that terminology / features like punching in and out among others existed so early on.
A lot of that terminology is taken from even older analogue consoles and tape machines. Punch in/out simply means recording a section over a previously recorded tape :)
and "punch it chewie!"
takes us to light speed!

this ain't like dusting crops farmboy!

KVRAF
5330 posts since 24 May, 2002 from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Post Thu May 13, 2021 3:15 am

THE INTRANCER wrote: ↑
Mon May 03, 2021 12:53 pm
Having looked at the link below, it's surprising to find that even back in 1985 that terminology / features like punching in and out among others existed so early on.
http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/files/MI ... %20III.pdf
That's not computer terminology. Sequencers then DAWS used music terminology already being used.
They still do.
THE INTRANCER wrote: ↑
Mon May 03, 2021 12:53 pm
If you wanted to know how your sequencer worked, you had no choice but to read the FM.
http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/files/MI ... %20III.pdf
You still have to RTFM if you want to know how it works properly. Or you ask on the internet from someone who read the manual for you. Someone somewhere still has to RTFM. In fact every DAW still makes manuals - stupid not to considering they have so many features. A manual is a manual - nothing changes because it's now in the cloud instead of paper...

KVRAF

Topic Starter

1876 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Thu May 13, 2021 10:07 am

kritikon wrote: ↑
Thu May 13, 2021 3:15 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: ↑
Mon May 03, 2021 12:53 pm
Having looked at the link below, it's surprising to find that even back in 1985 that terminology / features like punching in and out among others existed so early on.
http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/files/MI ... %20III.pdf
That's not computer terminology. Sequencers then DAWS used music terminology already being used.
They still do.
THE INTRANCER wrote: ↑
Mon May 03, 2021 12:53 pm
If you wanted to know how your sequencer worked, you had no choice but to read the FM.
http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/files/MI ... %20III.pdf
You still have to RTFM if you want to know how it works properly. Or you ask on the internet from someone who read the manual for you. Someone somewhere still has to RTFM. In fact every DAW still makes manuals - stupid not to considering they have so many features. A manual is a manual - nothing changes because it's now in the cloud instead of paper...
You're not related to gentleclockdivder by any chance ? Cause tonally, it sounds like you're hedging for an argument. I was expecting an example of an early sequencer manual from the 80's, so disappointed.. :hihi:
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source Transcend Into Software - Hardware - Music - 2D & 3D Art - Film - Games - VST's - Ensembles - GUI Design - Science & Technology | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

User avatar
KVRAF
4099 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sat May 15, 2021 4:07 pm

THE INTRANCER wrote: ↑
Thu May 13, 2021 10:07 am
kritikon wrote: ↑
Thu May 13, 2021 3:15 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: ↑
Mon May 03, 2021 12:53 pm
Having looked at the link below, it's surprising to find that even back in 1985 that terminology / features like punching in and out among others existed so early on.
http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/files/MI ... %20III.pdf
That's not computer terminology. Sequencers then DAWS used music terminology already being used.
They still do.
THE INTRANCER wrote: ↑
Mon May 03, 2021 12:53 pm
If you wanted to know how your sequencer worked, you had no choice but to read the FM.
http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/files/MI ... %20III.pdf
You still have to RTFM if you want to know how it works properly. Or you ask on the internet from someone who read the manual for you. Someone somewhere still has to RTFM. In fact every DAW still makes manuals - stupid not to considering they have so many features. A manual is a manual - nothing changes because it's now in the cloud instead of paper...
You're not related to gentleclockdivder by any chance ? Cause tonally, it sounds like you're hedging for an argument. I was expecting an example of an early sequencer manual from the 80's, so disappointed.. :hihi:
Well no , he is not affiliated with me at all and it's not the first or the last time that people accuse me of something .
Funny because weren't you the person that made a sock puppet acount a year ago in the studio one thread (lazerlight ) and now you're accusing me :lol:
In all fairness , I am not that kind of guy , sure I can be annoying but I am up front :tu:
I got banned for a month ( which is now over ) because I made a remark about a religious comment , while it was my genuine intention to write something to make you feel good ( in your thread about depression ) .
I hope we have this sorted out now , and I hope you feel bettter ( I mean that ) :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to β€œHosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”