tempus fugit 10-2020 piano/orch/drums/bass

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No problem. I think King Crimson was in turmoil at the time with constant comings and goings. Fripp had to work with what he could get. Bit different now, lots of people would love to join.
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Cirkus - 2017 Live version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jASz8_tGOD4

Sadly, Bill Rieflin also passed away this year :(

Fripp couldn't hate it all that much, that took some doing. Very strong arrangment, missing Gordon Haskell quite a bit IMO

making bandsmen go clockwork for decades

I enjoyed it. A bit brief. :)
I liked the piano and atmospherics.

Thanks!

Messiaen, Goldsmith - yes I can hear that, but it's also got various elements (especially melodically for me) that make it very much an original!

Sense of space and restraint is great!

Would like it to be developed further?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

I get why people say 'more development' and suchlike, but the pathways to that for this object [for me] are pretty narrow if not blocked.

Where there is that one run in the bass (piano part), I mean where it concludes with that crash and the long, bendy notes in the brass would have to be lead-in to some type of reiteration (of the one bit of interest which maybe calls for it) before the run itself. And as it is, that seems unlikely to work as well, if mainly because 1) I do not have that kind of distance from the thing/1b) it's finished; and 2) in any case I think reiteration and laboring on whatever motif there I ought to be developing runs the risk of disrupting the forward momentum*, with a hitch or lump in the shape or form.
IE: there would be a reiteration of said run after that development, or something which does the same thing with momentum but as a "2nd ending"; ie., a pseudo da capo (cf., DC al coda) and now it proceeds as it does in the first place. Which I don't like, again I think it's finished (vs. a speculation per what amounts to a non-trivial risk I don't actually need. Ain't broke don't fix.).
I hadn't really thought about it past that. Initially I thought that one bit could recur but I didn't think that for long.

Beyond the aesthetic, ie., I don't care for that kind of form like I'm s'posed to. I think I burned out on it.
Normally one would make something more out of the moments but I don't really think there's so much there to hammer on it or deconstruct it/recombine/develop.
The process is through-composing, left to right. And it's improvisational; ie., this is what this is, there is no more.
<*: Time moves forward>

Thanks for taking the time to remark. As to originality... much of what I did there I couldn't write up as to any usual 'music theory' terms yet I think it's internally coherent. I definitely wouldn't have written the ending from any particular principle. Two different ideas (the piano vs the Absynth surrounding it) cadence to two different finals but it seems like a single resolution.

OR, you could say I lack the chops to do more. I'll have needed to open up x amt of bars somewhere in there and grow it from the middle, a usual MO. (I was quite ill throughout, procrastinating an extensive stay in hospital.)

I get why people say 'more development' and suchlike, but the pathways to that for this object [for me] are pretty narrow if not blocked.
Just ignore me...I'm obsessed with developing raw, fragments of music into something more elaborate! :roll: You're right - sometimes it just ain't necessary.
Normally one would make something more out of the moments but I don't really think there's so much there to hammer on it or deconstruct it/recombine/develop.
I think sometimes I hear patterns where they don't actually exist in music!
The process is through-composing, left to right. And it's improvisational; ie., this is what this is, there is no more.
And sometimes that's the best way to go about it! I need to do more of that..go with the flow!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

....(I was quite ill throughout, procrastinating an extensive stay in hospital.)
Hope you're feeling better now?

Quite, thank you. I have very good insurance now, and they were aggressive with the treatments and technologies
I have someone coming in 3 times a week at home to attend to my wounds, even.

Excellent! There is a lot of high quality information packed into those 1.5 minutes. No empty calories here. :)

t.y.

it's like I throw most of the bread away and just go with bacon.
which I like burnt to a crisp

https://youtu.be/slmxL1o7j_s
remixed^
Last edited by jancivil on Thu May 13, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remixed.
The snare drum was mysteriously at the left - which is a problem for me because I hear things louder on the left to begin with - and there's no good reason for that to happen. I had another thing started and finished this and got out, I got tired.
I stuck a power panner on the channel and set it to mono, which corrected it. VE Pro's input channels are stereo and they don't love mono apparently.

but it means a much better sound on the drums, also the piano sounds better a little louder

maybe a bit too chaotic for my taste, but well done and executed anyway. Felt totally weird :)

I don't see it as at all chaotic.

Return to “Music Cafe”