Sennheiser HD 600 or 650 - Which would you pick and why, and how do you drive them?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
KVRist
236 posts since 2 Sep, 2012

Post Sat May 15, 2021 12:27 pm

synchronizer wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:50 am
DMG68 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:42 am
I have the 600 and have been using them for maybe 8 years or so. I’m very happy with them, I’ve used them for mixing a lot and the mixes translate really good for me. I have no complaints about the frequency response. I plug them in directly to my Allen & Heath Zed R16. It’s the same as anything else, you have to get accustomed to whatever you use for monitoring, no matter how neutral they may or may not be - I think there’s always a period of time to get familiar with the sound.
Is there any chance that the midtier MOTU will be able to drive them at an acceptable level? All the sales representatives claim I need an external amp.
I really don’t know. You might be able to check the manual for the zed r16 and get the headphone specs and then see how they compare to the MOTU.

KVRist
261 posts since 25 Jan, 2010

Post Sun May 16, 2021 5:29 am

have HD 600 love them and mix with them thru a Fireface UCX

KVRAF
2186 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Post Sun May 16, 2021 6:04 am

Download a demo of SonicWorks ID for headphones... Both of these headphone variations are in the profiles and you can see the average frequency response based on multiple samples that they tested. I looked at both of these specific headphones not long ago and concluded that I'd probably go with the 650s but they are extremely close to each other based on their profiles.

KVRist
439 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Post Mon May 17, 2021 4:09 am

HD650 plugged straight into my old Fireface 800 here. Never felt the need for a dedicated headphone amp... though the Fireface is a fairly hefty mains powered interface so maybe that helps.

I have no direct comparison with the HD600 though my lecturer from back in the day used them driven from an old Digidesign rack interface with no issues. I still trust his ears implicitly!

KVRian

Topic Starter

909 posts since 27 Sep, 2010

Post Mon May 17, 2021 5:00 am

In other forum topics it looks like people thing the amp in my interface won’t be good enough. The Fireface is a lot more heavy duty than what I have, so I really don’t know.

KVRer
5 posts since 11 May, 2021

Post Mon May 31, 2021 3:49 pm

FWIW I have the 6XX (should be the same as the 650) - I can run them straight out of my Macbook and they are ok, running out of my old OctaCapture (mains powered interface) and they're much nicer.

I really like my 6XXs - I have some old DJ headphones and in ear etymotics that I was using before this to do some rough mixing on when I couldn't use my actual monitors. The 6XX blow them away with instrument separation, making it much easier to mix

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”