SILO - spatial reverb from Unfiltered Audio / PA

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
1678 posts since 6 Nov, 2006

Post Sat May 15, 2021 6:00 pm

it's not the same obviously but the deviation sliders are modulators. you can tweak the range of randomness in settings. limited in comparison. i can go modulation crazy in BYOME with granular reverb etc. if i feel like it. so if there's something specific i want to do w/modulation i'll find a way or use max for live devices or automation. i'm not arguing against a modulation system in Silo. i'm pretty happy w/it though and like it a lot for what it does.

User avatar
KVRist
390 posts since 14 Mar, 2006

Post Sat May 15, 2021 6:42 pm

Good point about the deviation sliders. What I meant was that I was surprised that Silo lacks the modulation system I have come to expect in UA's plugins. That system would allow more precise user control. But I'm starting to see that control is not the point of Silo, that it is more geared towards a stochastic method of experimentation. I don't know, but I'm definitely planning to pick it up after the demo expires. :borg:

KVRAF
3894 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Sat May 15, 2021 6:56 pm

Silo seems to be an acquired taste for me. I was a bit underwhelmed & meh at first, thinking it was just another granulator with a reverb implemented to it but boy I was wrong. No, it's not just another granulator. It's definitely something else, a great texture creator if you take the time to work with it and learn it. Very easy to create whole new sounds out of pretty much anything that goes into its buffer. Very fun to use.

I didn't want to like it (as I already have a bunch of great granulators) but man this thing grows on me! :P
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

User avatar
KVRAF
11066 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sat May 15, 2021 7:09 pm

Portal was on my list... add this too... or just get Crusher-X? I like Crusher-X, but the UI... urhg. Looks like 1998 and things are confusingly labeled. I hate that there seems to be a 50% chance an element can be interacted with and there’s no visual indicator of that. I also use Ribs and MGranulator inside MXXX. What to do...
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

KVRAF
3894 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Sat May 15, 2021 7:34 pm

Hey zero, I hear you about crusher-X's not easy UI, but it's a monster granulator. Probably king of the hill but it's a tough one to tame for sure. I don't reach it for quick and fast granular work, it requires some time & manipulation to get the sound you want. But it's worth it, it's a very crazy and wild granulator and accSone support is pretty friendly and quick too, especially here when you post in their official forums.

I have Portal too and when I first tried Silo, I was like ''meh I already have Portal'' but after some experimentation and time with Silo, I can say they are very different. Sonically and workflow wise as well. Both a top notch grain plugins and I think they can be great granular companions together, although they are not cheap plugins. But both definitely are cutting edge granulators, I think it's gonna be a fierce battle between Portal & Silo for alot of people :hihi:
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

KVRAF
1914 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Sun May 16, 2021 11:09 am

Neon Breath wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:34 pm
Hey zero, I hear you about crusher-X's not easy UI, but it's a monster granulator. Probably king of the hill but it's a tough one to tame for sure. I don't reach it for quick and fast granular work, it requires some time & manipulation to get the sound you want. But it's worth it, it's a very crazy and wild granulator and accSone support is pretty friendly and quick too, especially here when you post in their official forums.

I have Portal too and when I first tried Silo, I was like ''meh I already have Portal'' but after some experimentation and time with Silo, I can say they are very different. Sonically and workflow wise as well. Both a top notch grain plugins and I think they can be great granular companions together, although they are not cheap plugins. But both definitely are cutting edge granulators, I think it's gonna be a fierce battle between Portal & Silo for alot of people :hihi:
o you, that me thinks, own all granulars...

Silo grows more and more on me, bought it (thanks to a very friendly, i mentioned it alread, KVR member, that gave me a $50, PA vouchers are mostly give away nowadays.).

indeed the missing modulations, so embedded in the other products, yes you have the deviations.. and the mask, and the spatializer. it is capable of a kind of internal modulation.

i don't miss it yet. and i am working now in bitwig studio, to make sounds, from some recordings, i choose a loop, put in the sampler, or layered it, with Silo, an experiment.
so multiple sampler instances for each new sound. that i get.

with MPE, and of course can in bitwig also stear Silo with MPE.. (as in other DAW's, but easier), or modulate..

output Portal i only now from description, like soundmorph Dust and Grainspace. (also Granite i don't have). i have not all granulars....

the XY pad of Portal seems like the XY pad of Crusher-X? it seems that Portal does some processing, to make it more 'musical'??

i agree, Crusher-X is thé granular, but also use others, Granurise, Granulizer, etc.
Crusher-X really needs to be tamed... i get it, but you will always enter a phase, a new phase, that you think, i thought i knew the beast, the next step in the learning phase/curve.

Crusher-X i choose mainly for deep, and more concentrate approaches, that take their time, but the results!! (i prefer it to use it standalone with a touchscreen, which make working with it fast. and when necessary with MPE). still use it quite often, also for learning it better.

but back again to Silo. at first glance i thought, o well, it contains all the parameters you need, even multiple windows, you can reshape them (very important windows for grains).

but the mask, the spatializer, how all works together, all settings are intertwined. me like!
and makes it quite powerfull.

setting the buffer size, playing with the playhead. simple things, and very accessible.

and the great results. that aren't always granular, or do sound granular... it has a quite a bandwidth to change sounds. the source. from one sample you can make 100 variants.. as more effects can do, which again i like.

@Zerocrossing -> the GUI, i don't dislike it. and, especially for a touchscreen, but also with a mouse, you can navigate very quickly to every setting. for live manipulation great, of course you do manipulation within a DAW.. in several ways.

the GUI maybe not the fashionable, but i repeat, once you know where everything is, you can work quite fast. set a lot. control a lot. the most expensive plugin i ever bought (besides bundles..), but an investment, for, o well... it's manipulation, the quality, very cpu friendly by the way, of course you can kill the CPU, but not that easy. it can play a lot of grains... and with MPE...
o well... if granular is really your thing (it is my thing next to additive, spectral, o well all other things... but granular next to additve/spectral, an additive synth through a granular...... not strange that that works great..).
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Music & Soundscraping

KVRAF
3894 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Sun May 16, 2021 1:04 pm

Don't forget with Silo that you can control the number of simultaneous grains, from a single one up to 1000 grains. That can drastically change the sound of the grain cloud, from very fragmented glitchy to a massive & dense cloud.
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

User avatar
KVRAF
30184 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sun May 16, 2021 1:32 pm

zerocrossing wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:09 pm
Portal was on my list... add this too...
I have both ... no regrets. Get 'em while they're still on sale. Silo is pretty cheap if you have a $50 voucher. Even better with a $75 voucher. :wheee:

KVRAF
1821 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Sun May 16, 2021 1:52 pm

No plugin I've ever owned sounds as good to me on guitar (and violin too) as Portal. I have a feeling Silo would be up there as well. Can't wait to get it. Dust is really fantastic as well. What a time to be alive!

KVRAF
1544 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Sun May 16, 2021 1:55 pm

Looking at the Venus Theory video he, as usual, gives an excellent clear exploration of the possibilities. Silo looks much more interesting to me now -still think I would only spend $30 or so on it as I have other granulars I like already, but should not be too long before it is that cheap or even cheaper

User avatar
KVRAF
30184 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sun May 16, 2021 2:00 pm

fairlyclose wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:55 pm
still think I would only spend $30 or so on it as I have other granulars I like already, but should not be too long before it is that cheap or even cheaper
I got it for $29.99 (plus VAT) with my PA loyalty voucher.

KVRAF
1544 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Sun May 16, 2021 3:04 pm

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:00 pm
fairlyclose wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:55 pm
still think I would only spend $30 or so on it as I have other granulars I like already, but should not be too long before it is that cheap or even cheaper
I got it for $29.99 (plus VAT) with my PA loyalty voucher.
great - how large a voucher was that? If I can find someone to give me one I will buy Silo for sure

KVRAF
1821 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Sun May 16, 2021 3:10 pm

fairlyclose wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:04 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:00 pm
fairlyclose wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:55 pm
still think I would only spend $30 or so on it as I have other granulars I like already, but should not be too long before it is that cheap or even cheaper
I got it for $29.99 (plus VAT) with my PA loyalty voucher.
great - how large a voucher was that? If I can find someone to give me one I will buy Silo for sure
me too! (second in line :) )

KVRist
445 posts since 30 Oct, 2003 from Pacific NW, USA

Post Sun May 16, 2021 5:35 pm

I’m definitely getting a hang of Silo’s features and I am liking it more and more. It’s great for processing drum hits for instant cinematic percussion!!

KVRAF
1914 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Sun May 16, 2021 11:13 pm

Neon Breath wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:04 pm
Don't forget with Silo that you can control the number of simultaneous grains, from a single one up to 1000 grains. That can drastically change the sound of the grain cloud, from very fragmented glitchy to a massive & dense cloud.
indeed! quite impressive. and also in sync.. and another option...

for PA vouchers; when Silo came out, i thought wel.. why not. i try, in sell & buy i did: WTT: my $25 for your $50 voucher. in the end i got a $50 voucher for nothing in return, so i a gave away my $25 voucher.

so try it also in the bargain thread gossip etc. at the end of month you see, people give away there vouchers.

worth a try to ask it in the bargain thread. or here..

EDIT: why $50 and not a $75; $75 minumum spend is 99,99 or so... PA has now, when you own certain plugins, a slightly lower intro price, for me it was $79,99. so a $50 voucher was the way to go.

$36 including vat, EU... in the end €31 euro or so... for that amount it is not worth to wait, because i can use it now.
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Music & Soundscraping

Return to “Effects”