MuLab with clip launch

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apparently MuLab 9 which will be coming is gonna have clip launching. Interesting!

For sure, glad to hear it's coming, do you know when approximately?

No i don't know, i just read it in the MuTools subforum.

Ah, ok, here's the thread for anyone else wondering
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=548875

BrokenTrance wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:32 pm Apparently MuLab 9 which will be coming is gonna have clip launching. Interesting!
I wish they had someone competent work on the GUI. It looks as if 10yo made it :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:11 pm
BrokenTrance wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:32 pm Apparently MuLab 9 which will be coming is gonna have clip launching. Interesting!
I wish they had someone competent work on the GUI. It looks as if 10yo made it :(
Maybe, but still better then you beloved Reason, because that one has no Clip Launch :)

I really like the simple and clean style of MuLab's GUI (though some of the effects and synths look a bit crappy). My dream DAW would probably have the GUI and modularity of MuLab, the flexibility and features of Reaper and an Ableton/Bitwig style effects rack.

just because you have GUI fetish ... rumor: FL Studio 21 comes with theming support (it's the second most requested feature beside the proper audio handling in the playlist) sry for offing
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:03 pm
just because you have GUI fetish ... rumor: FL Studio 21 comes with theming support (it's the second most requested feature beside the proper audio handling in the playlist) sry for offing
It's not a fetish - it's a simple minimum standard of GUI competency that has to be met. And lots more would have to change in FL than theming to get me interested. If anything, the themes will be atrocious and cringy like in Live or Reaper :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Good stuff
mutools wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:42 am Anyway, i'm multi-tasking all these challenges and M9 R&D is progressing and is getting closer and closer to a conceptual test version.
That leads me to tell that another reason why M9 takes more time than expected is because it is not only about adding a live clip launcher, but it's also about merging MuLab and MUX Plugin into a single app.
That has the big advantage that whatever you make in MuLab can be used in any other DAW via MuLab Plugin and also the other way around. There also are other important benefits of merging MuLab and MUX Plugin but i'll elaborate later about that at proper time.

Merging MuLab and MUX Plugin is a big conceptual challenge, because currently MUX 8 Plugin is only for synths and effects, not for composing, while MuLab is only for composing. And it should still be as easy as before to simply use MuLab Plugin as an synth/effect plugin. So it does take R&D time to merge these concepts.

I hope the above gives you more feeling with what's all going on under the MuTools hood.

I'm curious about your thoughts and feelings about the above.
Your feedback on this is very welcome.
If any questions left, let me know!

Thanks, cheers,

Jo

I don’t mind the look at all. And it’s not a they, it’s one very nice guy, so when you make statements like that you’re personally insulting someone, not a corporate entity.

On the other hand, I’ve done everything but beg him to redo the menus to something more standard and contextual. I think as is, they inhibit adoption of the program more than any other aspect. Edit: Okay, my adoption of it at any rate.
Last edited by jonljacobi on Sun May 16, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

this custom theme here is really nice IMO

>> viewtopic.php?p=8099746#p8099746
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

It already came a long way... and it looks fine for my taste...

But no matter how it looks Jo´s products are simply fabulous, incredible deep and sound fantastic...

May I remember everybody to his spectacular timestretch algo he came up with beside maintaining and updating a complete DAW as a one man show...

I like the idea to have the complete Mulab as plugin and really look forward to it...!

Yeah, I think that's the way to go for MuLab and that will actually give it an edge over other underdogs, it's hard to expect most will ditch their full blown linear DAW's because of it, but if they could incorporate everything MuLab have to offer into their own workflow and DAW, that would be more than tempting, adding clip launcher, great time stretch, full blown modular environment... than having all that on USB stick as sketchbook which can be later seamlessly incorporated into your main workhorse, dunno, this forum could suddenly shift from did you tried Bitwig into did you tried MuLab, you can use it as an plugin and have everything Bitwig have and use it in your Reaper and stuff like that. :)

I hate to admit it but I tried mulab a couple of times and the last time for the life of me I couldn't find the add automation button anywhere on the track? I couldn't believe it was that hard to find a basic task in a DAW but it could have been I was just being a impatient dolt.
I was also noticing very erratic mouse wheel behavior especially in drop down lists like the plugin browser. My mouse wheel works as smooth as silk in Reaper so I know it isn't the wheel. I'm using windows 7 but just but a new computer and will be soon using 10.

The other thing which I found annoying is the mutools tutorials are all completely silent with no narration. I don't understand this whatsoever when you are trying to sell a somewhat complex software program like a DAW. I'm guessing that maybe Jo is not a native speaker but there are plenty of people that are that for not much money would do the voice over.

I think it is a solid daw that has a lot going for it and the dev seems like a dedicated class act, but I see how it could be frustrating for someone trying to learn it especially if they have no daw experience.

Kind regards.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”