MuLab with clip launch

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Doc Brown wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:46 am I hate to admit it but I tried mulab a couple of times and the last time for the life of me I couldn't find the add automation button anywhere on the track?
Tracks are modular containers for lane data. Just drag and drop a parameter onto the track header, and boom, that's an automation track. Or if you want something more traditional, add a sub track and then drag the parameter onto that sub track. Boom, automation sub track. In the case of VST, the last touched parameter has a display at the top of the host-window.
The other thing which I found annoying is the mutools tutorials are all completely silent with no narration.
Kind regards.
I was working with Mutools on solving this in the past. However, I found work with a different audio company and due to non-competition clause, I can't continue that voice over work with Mutools. This isn't due to a lack of desire for voice over tutorials.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Doc Brown wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:46 amI was also noticing very erratic mouse wheel behavior especially in drop down lists like the plugin browser.... mutools tutorials are all completely silent with no narration.
There is a context menu Preference -- Mouse hover delay time, and another -- Use unfolded context menus, that may help.
I like the silence; it helps me concentrate on the program and think for myself, rather than follow the narrator's way of thinking (some users turn off Kenny Gioia's... narration? forthat... reason?) but YMMV :D
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

I still think the menus are an issue. There's simply no reason to challenge users to learn new skills and habits when the standard ones are so engrained. And I find them extremely inefficient compared to normal menus. Too much stuff and not contextual enough. This stuff counts when people try out the program.

I appreciate Jo's creativity, dedication, and choice to walk his own path, not to mention the insanely modular design, but I wish I could convince him that following OS guidelines for the basics is not going to ruin that and possibly garner him more a lot fans.

Despite all that, anyone who has not checked out Mulab should do so. The absolute first thing to do is click on the Modular button at the top of the display.

xbitz wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:00 am this custom theme here is really nice IMO

>> viewtopic.php?p=8099746#p8099746
So they still have 6 fx slots channels. :D

So, is 28th of May the day v9 comes out?

https://www.mutools.com/shop.html
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:23 am So, is 28th of May the day v9 comes out?

Nope, he's just getting back to business as usual. I don't think we'll see v9 for a few months still. Thanks, COVID! :dog:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Dark Lights wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:13 am So they still have 6 fx slots channels. :D
Most of Mulabs power comes from the modular area. Simply pop a MUX into one of those slots and boom, unlimited inserts.

Seriously, if anyone is to get far with Mulab, learning the modular pieces of it (there's no such thing as 1:1 in most cases, everything, including tracks, racks, sequences, samples, etc... is modular. Think of it like how Studio One does instruments vs. tracks vs. channels. All are separate, not necessarily a 1:1 mapping.

That being said, an unlimited amount of visual inserts would be nice to have. For now, the MUX suites me well.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

after couple of hours playing, I've only missed ghost notes/multi clip editing
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

syntonica wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:25 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:23 am So, is 28th of May the day v9 comes out?

Nope, he's just getting back to business as usual. I don't think we'll see v9 for a few months still. Thanks, COVID! :dog:
Why would the Wuhan virus affect an online shop? Hope Jo didn't have a bad case of it.

jonljacobi wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:57 am
syntonica wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:25 pm

Why would the Wuhan virus affect an online shop? Hope Jo didn't have a bad case of it.
Jo's been fine, AFAIK. However, you should skim through the last few pages on the "Announcing Mulab 9 with Clip Launching..." thread for more detail. I don't want to misspeak about anything.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=548875
Last edited by syntonica on Sun May 23, 2021 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

dakkra wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:20 am
Dark Lights wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:13 am So they still have 6 fx slots channels. :D
Most of Mulabs power comes from the modular area. Simply pop a MUX into one of those slots and boom, unlimited inserts.

Seriously, if anyone is to get far with Mulab, learning the modular pieces of it (there's no such thing as 1:1 in most cases, everything, including tracks, racks, sequences, samples, etc... is modular. Think of it like how Studio One does instruments vs. tracks vs. channels. All are separate, not necessarily a 1:1 mapping.

That being said, an unlimited amount of visual inserts would be nice to have. For now, the MUX suites me well.
You can just add another mixer in the tray and pass the audio through to another set of 6 inserts, as well. Once you get the routing down, you can do some amazing stuff without even having to use to the modular window.

Doc Brown wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:46 am I hate to admit it but I tried mulab a couple of times and the last time for the life of me I couldn't find the add automation button anywhere on the track?
with drag and drop it's the same way as the track>target module assignment

syntonica wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:13 am
dakkra wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:20 am

You can just add another mixer in the tray and pass the audio through to another set of 6 inserts, as well. Once you get the routing down, you can do some amazing stuff without even having to use to the modular window.
from meta modulation point of view IMO the rack>mux>mux construction works best, the outer mux instance can use the front-end components of the inner and able to modulate the inner meta controls
the starting point of the inner mux can be the multi-synth-rack factory template

Whichever is easiest for the OP to wrap their head around. You're probably right, though, in regards to deep design and modulation.

I'm still trying to figure out why someone needs more than 6 inserts, though. I thought that was pretty generous--1 instrument, 1 eq, 1 compressor, a couple of FX or sends. That's all anyone needs, right? :lol:

xbitz wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:05 pm
with drag and drop it's the same way as the track>target module assignment
If I end up having to move to another DAW, I'm really going to miss automation clips. There's only like 2 other DAWs out there that support them. And I hate them both!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”