Favorite versatile reverb?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:48 am TBH, I think you're pretty much set with what you have... seems like quite a complete collection.

At the moment, I could live on NI Raum alone. At least that's what I mostly use. Very versatile reverb, even though the few parameters would suggest something different.
chk071 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:57 am I think the Exponential Audio Reverbs (R2/R4, Nimbus/PhoenixVerb) could add something to what you already have. Even though, in the case of R2/R4, there might be some overlap with your RC24/48. Even though I always found RC24/48 to be overly dark. Have to spend more time with them though, I also own them.

Yeah, love Raum. Sounds beautiful indeed. :)

Actually, I was going to mention about Exponential Audio reverbs, but the choice is a bit confusing. Also, the plugins look a bit difficult to dial in.

I think R4 is successor of R2, so can ignore R2. Still, there are 3 plugins to choose. It is possible to get all for cheap, but I am not looking for all. If there is one reverb I could choose between R4/PhoenixVerb/Nimbus, which would it be?

I could add one to perhaps compliment the otherwise dark sounding RC24/48, as you mention.
WasteLand wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:21 am ...
Thank you for your detailed reply and suggestions.

As I understand, I can try considering one between Xenoverb, R4, Nimbus. Don't feel like diving into the other options.

Ploki wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:27 am 2C Audio Aether, except it's neglected as f**k. (But so are Exponential audio, so who cares). It's complciated to work with.

Then on the flipside, FabFilter Pro-R. It can do a lot, and it's imo completely under-rated. It's super versatile but because its tuned very well there's 7 knobs to work with (+ built in post EQ and built in DECAY curve - so you can adjust decay rate per frequency - super easy to clean up an offensive part of reverb) also, you can get where you need to be REALLY fast, and it's soooo easssyyyy to make it sit in a mix.

Not my go-to for "super obvious" reverbs, because the flip side of easy sitting in a mix is also that when isolated, it's not as present and "wow" as some others.

I got it when i bought the FX Bundle and i thought i'll never use it, but in the end it's in nearly every project.

Oh, so if i had to mix with only one reverb, it would be Pro-R, no doubt there at all. Couple of years ago i'd say Aether. (I also have Valhalla, but i find Pro-R just faster to work with)
Thank you.

Oh yes, Pro-R. I forgot about it. I should demo it. :)

2CAudio reverbs are great, but yeah, a bit expensive and complicated. Pro-R isn't cheap either, but familiarity with other FabFilter plugins is an advantage. Also, FabFilter plugins allow direct right-click automation control options in FL Studio, which I have not seen in ANY other plugins inside FL Studio.

For super-obvious reverbs, there's Comet and Raum in my collection. :)

I use almost exclusively mturboreverb and I did not yet have pushed the edit button... So to me mturboreverble, pleeenty of gound sounding algorithms....

ElVincente wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:12 pm I use almost exclusively mturboreverb and I did not yet have pushed the edit button... So to me mturboreverble, pleeenty of gound sounding algorithms....
Looks like a good one-stop-shop reverb, but somehow not that comfortable with Melda plugins.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:44 pm If there is one reverb I could choose between R4/PhoenixVerb/Nimbus, which would it be?
R4/Nimbus should be thought of as a pair, they don't replace each other. I'm not a superfan of either TBH. I thought R2 was a cool freebie from Focusrite, but I don't use any of them that much. Nimbus complements what you have better than R4.

I said this in the other thread, but I'll say it again. Just give up on the quest of a universal reverb and get new ones when they go on sale or come along for the ride in bundles. After a few years of this you'll start to realize what those one or two specific things you want are missing and then is a good time to think about something specific.

IOW, now is a good time to buy the exponential audio reverbs because they're super cheap. (well they were a few days ago, I don't know if the sale is still going)

ghettosynth wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:14 pm R4/Nimbus should be thought of as a pair, they don't replace each other.
They're very different for sure.

What I like and use mostly right now is Valhalla Vintage Verb and SoundToys Little Plate. I'm looking to buy Valhalla Room in the future to round my selection, but with these I can do most processing I need. I think it's more about what feels comfortable to use for you. Actually I have R2, that should be a replacement for Valhalla Room, reading iZotope's page.

Seems a bit arbitrary to write off Valhalla, but OK. I think my vote would go to 2C Audio, particularly Aether, for very obvious and creative reverb FX and Exponential Audio for reverbs that are more for defining space.

If you want something for very dense, lush reverb effects (that goes far beyond reverb), check out Tone Multi-FX (successor to Warmverb). It's pretty cheap and is particularly useful for when you want that "drowning in reverb" effect.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Most of the time I reach for the 2CAudio reverbs. They are just so versatile and the sound is absolutely gorgeous from "utility" reverb uses to completely lush, massive soundscapes for creative uses. I think I would be happy just having this bundle. But I also like to reach for Pro-R quite a bit, mostly because it also just sounds very nice and it's so fast and effortless to set up or dial in. Another I reach for often is Reverberate 3 by Liquidsonic. I have some more that I use from time to time, but 95% of the time it's these ones.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:14 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:44 pm If there is one reverb I could choose between R4/PhoenixVerb/Nimbus, which would it be?
R4/Nimbus should be thought of as a pair, they don't replace each other. I'm not a superfan of either TBH. I thought R2 was a cool freebie from Focusrite, but I don't use any of them that much. Nimbus complements what you have better than R4.

I said this in the other thread, but I'll say it again. Just give up on the quest of a universal reverb and get new ones when they go on sale or come along for the ride in bundles. After a few years of this you'll start to realize what those one or two specific things you want are missing and then is a good time to think about something specific.

IOW, now is a good time to buy the exponential audio reverbs because they're super cheap. (well they were a few days ago, I don't know if the sale is still going)
Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to give them a try. I just downloaded the demos of R4 and Nimbus. Might pick up one if I find it super cheap and I like them enough.

Yeah, I get it. The thing is reverb is quite a challenge (for me), so I thought it might be better to go for a generic/versatile reverb rather than having different styles spread across multiple reverbs. Part of what I want to do here is to get rid of anything that's redundant, know if I have got a decent enough collection, and if absolutely necessary, add one new reverb to my collection.

cryophonik wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:40 pm Seems a bit arbitrary to write off Valhalla, but OK. I think my vote would go to 2C Audio, particularly Aether, for very obvious and creative reverb FX and Exponential Audio for reverbs that are more for defining space.

If you want something for very dense, lush reverb effects (that goes far beyond reverb), check out Tone Multi-FX (successor to Warmverb). It's pretty cheap and is particularly useful for when you want that "drowning in reverb" effect.
Actually, I have used Valhalla reverbs, and while they are great, in my effort to streamline my reverb collection, I decided to sell them. They are the only reverbs from my collection that can be sold or are worth selling to get something in return.

I will check out 2CAudio Aether. I wonder how is Breeze 2? Looks like it is cheaper. I can see an "up to 50%" sale going on. What are the cheapest they have ever been in case you know?

Not much interested in dense, lush reverbs, but I do have Comet if needed and it is amazing at that. :)

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:25 pm What I like and use mostly right now is Valhalla Vintage Verb and SoundToys Little Plate. I'm looking to buy Valhalla Room in the future to round my selection, but with these I can do most processing I need. I think it's more about what feels comfortable to use for you. Actually I have R2, that should be a replacement for Valhalla Room, reading iZotope's page.
Thanks. Little Plate is a beauty.

Sorry, but I have Room for sale if you are interested.

gondii wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:28 pm Most of the time I reach for the 2CAudio reverbs. They are just so versatile and the sound is absolutely gorgeous from "utility" reverb uses to completely lush, massive soundscapes for creative uses. I think I would be happy just having this bundle. But I also like to reach for Pro-R quite a bit, mostly because it also just sounds very nice and it's so fast and effortless to set up or dial in. Another I reach for often is Reverberate 3 by Liquidsonic. I have some more that I use from time to time, but 95% of the time it's these ones.
Great to hear that. Gonna try 2CAudio reverbs then. Demoing Pro-R, it sounds quite good - very useful for giving some ambience and medium reverbs. Have heard good things about Liquidsonics reverbs too.

Why are we doing this again? the OP can search and find dozens of 'Reverb List' posts already in the forum. This is so pointless.

mholloway wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:50 pm Why are we doing this again? the OP can search and find dozens of 'Reverb List' posts already in the forum. This is so pointless.
Welcome to KVR.

Return to “Effects”