Favorite versatile reverb?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

also ilok though

I also agree with your assessment re 2C audio.
Neglected gui of aether and B2 has turned me away from them - i’m selling them because of that.

Since i already have Pro-R, I turned to valhalla :)

Honorable mentions are D16 verbs.
Toraverb is a great obvious reverb, and spacerek is a missed opportunity. Great sound but very clunky UI.

But yeah Pro-R is probably the way to go. I was mixing some acoustic stuff (piazola) and preferred it over Valhalla Room even. Its just so easy to make it invisible, like it was part of the recording.

Had R4 and Nimbus and sold them. Too convoluted (hehe) and I already 2C audio in the overly complex department.

For the obvious ones another honorable mention would be Voxengo CRTIV reverb. Its really lush and dense, and i love it as “obvious synth” type reverb

Any love for UVI Sparkverb and Plate here? I have them but always forget I do.

OrilRiver has ER and tail variations and is in general a quite shapable reverb plugin
find free samples and presets at
:troll: https://fatpassfilter.com

He was explicitly looking for a versatile reverb - I think that would be one that can do authentic rooms of various sizes, halls, both digital and real plates, vintage Lexicon-style stuff, non-linear reverbs, etc. - like H-Reverb which he mentioned in his first post - and which is great - so you'd have to mention something better or at the very least equally as good/versatile (not directed at anyone in particular, but... you know who you are)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

TIMT wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:23 pm Other than maybe Ariesverb, nothing is as capable as 2C Audio B2. Bit pricy, but it's all the reverb you will ever need. Sits really well in the mix, and can do pretty convincing pseudo rooms if you learn to master the cascading
B2 it's really miracle. I also would add Ircam Verb. And yes, Ariesverb could compete with them both but it's just unfinished.

B2 is a fantastic semi-modular beast... but hardly easy/quick to get standard reverberation stuff out of - it would never cross my mind to recommend it as a bread-and-butter reverb.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

gondii wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:05 pm also ilok though
Sonsig? No dongle required however...

jens wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:04 pm B2 is a fantastic semi-modular beast... but hardly easy/quick to get standard reverberation stuff out of - it would never cross my mind to recommend it as a bread-and-butter reverb.
Well, it has a ton of presets--maybe too many for quick use--no way to mark favorites unless resaving them in user folder (which works). I could see one getting it set up for fast access for a lot of scenarios.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

gondii wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:52 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:48 pm Yeah, they really shine at that I understand now.

I did not give Reverberate a try mainly because it is (also) iLok and not a big fan of convolution reverb, although I agree it is great for natural sounds. The GUI also did not appeal me much unfortunately - I don't mean it is bad, but again, a bit too many options. If I am spending $99 or so, I would much prefer Pro-R through my FabFilter account (it is higher than $99 though).

After demoing all these plugins, I feel that the simpler the GUI and options, the better it will be for my head to work with it. We already have tons of complicated things to handle in music making already. :)
Reverberate is pretty complex with two convolution engines and a ton of very detailed tweaking options. So maybe you're right, doesn't fit the bill. Does sound like Pro-R is a good choice. I like it a lot, easy to fit into a mix and pretty much as fast and easy to use as it gets. Plus you get more discounts on future purchases from Fabfilter.
Yeah, exactly. Pro-R definitely seems like a good option. I like the sound and workflow both. But I might need to wait for a sale for it to drop into affordable range. :)

jens wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:18 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:48 pm After demoing all these plugins, I feel that the simpler the GUI and options, the better it will be for my head to work with it. We already have tons of complicated things to handle in music making already. :)
So that would really be the Sonsig then... it's amazing how they managed to lay out the controls for the underlying complex archicture so that it's a breeze and joy to tweak - one of its tricks is that apparently each of the 10 "sizes" uses a different algorithm. That in combination with the "time" control (RT60 practically) already allows so much versatility. Then there's the ensemble, the three "characters" (different envelopes basically), the three render modes, the Tilt and Diffusion controls, yadda yadda... and yet it isn't a huge number of controls - one would be excused for looking at the GUI and assuming it's was more or less a one-trick-pony - and yet this could not be further away from the truth.
Wow, Sonsig Rev-A sounds amazing indeed. I had seen it before, but never really paid attention. Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the video you posted above by Sean Divine and it sounds beautiful. GUI is nice with simple and easy controls. Something worth considering. It was 50% off earlier this month, so would need to wait for a similar deal. Relab LX480 Essentials are $35 right now, but guess that's not worth bothering about.

I will definitely demo it today and compare it with Pro-R, because I am liking that one too. One problem with Relab plugins is the need for iLok software and then $25 fee it at all I want to resell it.

SHall1000 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:34 pm Any love for UVI Sparkverb and Plate here? I have them but always forget I do.
Guess that says it all. :)

A quick look at Sparkverb and the features and sound seem similar to Pro-R; sounds great and the preset voyageur is pretty interesting. But I am trying to stay away from iLok as much as possible. Relab Sonsig Rev-A has caught my attention though. :scared:

The ones I like the most usually aren't as versatile.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:01 am
jens wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:18 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:48 pm After demoing all these plugins, I feel that the simpler the GUI and options, the better it will be for my head to work with it. We already have tons of complicated things to handle in music making already. :)
So that would really be the Sonsig then... it's amazing how they managed to lay out the controls for the underlying complex archicture so that it's a breeze and joy to tweak - one of its tricks is that apparently each of the 10 "sizes" uses a different algorithm. That in combination with the "time" control (RT60 practically) already allows so much versatility. Then there's the ensemble, the three "characters" (different envelopes basically), the three render modes, the Tilt and Diffusion controls, yadda yadda... and yet it isn't a huge number of controls - one would be excused for looking at the GUI and assuming it's was more or less a one-trick-pony - and yet this could not be further away from the truth.
Wow, Sonsig Rev-A sounds amazing indeed. I had seen it before, but never really paid attention. Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the video you posted above by Sean Divine and it sounds beautiful. GUI is nice with simple and easy controls. Something worth considering. It was 50% off earlier this month, so would need to wait for a similar deal. Relab LX480 Essentials are $35 right now, but guess that's not worth bothering about.

I will definitely demo it today and compare it with Pro-R, because I am liking that one too. One problem with Relab plugins is the need for iLok software and then $25 fee it at all I want to resell it.
"Not worth bothering about"lmao..mate, Relab's Lexicon model is the defacto model and at $35, you are essentially robbing them. it sounds god damn phenomenal if you are just looking for something that is zero fuss, but brings a lot to the table in terms of sound. If it does even a 10th of what the complete version does, it's worth every penny
I

Ploki wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:24 pm I also agree with your assessment re 2C audio.
Neglected gui of aether and B2 has turned me away from them - i’m selling them because of that.

Since i already have Pro-R, I turned to valhalla :)

Honorable mentions are D16 verbs.
Toraverb is a great obvious reverb, and spacerek is a missed opportunity. Great sound but very clunky UI.

But yeah Pro-R is probably the way to go. I was mixing some acoustic stuff (piazola) and preferred it over Valhalla Room even. Its just so easy to make it invisible, like it was part of the recording.

Had R4 and Nimbus and sold them. Too convoluted (hehe) and I already 2C audio in the overly complex department.

For the obvious ones another honorable mention would be Voxengo CRTIV reverb. Its really lush and dense, and i love it as “obvious synth” type reverb
Yeah. Of all these, Pro-R is indeed the most attractive and suitable for me personally, glad you mentioned that earlier. Never thought I would think about it.

R4 and Nimbus are indeed too convoluted. I mean who needs or has time for so many controls! Might pick up one if it goes dirt cheap in future.

The main competitors are now Pro-R and Sonsig Rev-A.

Return to “Effects”