Reason 12 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12 Reason Intro Reason Suite

hotmitts wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:19 pm I'm on Reason 10, I was waiting for this to upgrade but the only thing that really tempts me is the Beat map that came with 11 ( I think)
This flew past my radar when 11 came out, but, I wasn't that concerned with the upgrade at the time. Still, it's definitely a cool enough toy.

jarnold wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:42 am That does seem to be the case, which is unfortunate for those that use it as a daw rather than a VST.
Yes, exactly - we have been waiting patiently because we understood what it meant for them to be able to offer Reason as a plugin to users of other DAWs but I think NOW is the time to reward us for this patience.

I mean: just for starters, there still is no MIDI take recording, for crying out loud.

To whoever from the Props who is reading the forum:

JUST DON'T! That would be a huge mistake. Tell your developers to roll up their sleeves and deliver something for the DAW part of Reason for V12. Otherwise have your fireproof vest in reach.
Last edited by jens on Tue May 18, 2021 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I guess I'll skip on this update until VST3 support. It's likely in the works... I mean their plugin is in VST3 format.

If they fixed drum sequencer for rack users I'd buy it for that alone. They haven't responded to support tickets for months upon months.

Beatmap seems cooler than it is, IMO. I got mixed results using it.

Seems their only focus is on Reason+ users, who are mostly new Reason users. Old Reason users, who they've already milked, don't matter that much.

The few times I tried it I could not get anything useful out of Beatmap at all - it all sounded very random, glitchy (and not in a nice way), artificial, un-groovy to me... I'd love to hear some finished productions that use it - or wait - actually I rather don't. :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

iiiinterestin!:)

If you buy 3rd party REs is it possible to transfer all of them along with your license of Reason if you sell it?

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:28 am If you buy 3rd party REs is it possible to transfer all of them along with your license of Reason if you sell it?
No.

I wonder who snitched do @mods to remove my post :hihi: :dog:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:28 am If you buy 3rd party REs is it possible to transfer all of them along with your license of Reason if you sell it?
I’m afraid not

Crazy when it’s tied to your account. Oh well, I have only bought a few, but it is a waste if I do ever look to sell.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:37 am Crazy when it’s tied to your account. Oh well, I have only bought a few, but it is a waste if I do ever look to sell.
I know. I've well over EUR 1k "stuck" there. But I gotta cut my loses somewhere.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

If they hadn’t released Reason as a plugin, I would have been way more upset about their no transfer policy for REs.

That's the thing they should learn - if they want to keep selling me REs, they better make sure I'll want to keep using the DAW in the long run - offering me the rack as a plugin is not enough. They have a sale right now and I was thinking "nah, with the prospect of R12 being just that you can keep them...". Perhaps it's just me, but I will never purchase more REs in order to use them in other hosts via the Rack plugin - but nice try, Props.... :tu:

jens wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:00 am The few times I tried it I could not get anything useful out of Beatmap at all - it all sounded very random, glitchy (and not in a nice way), artificial, un-groovy to me... I'd love to hear some finished productions that use it - or wait - actually I rather don't. :hihi:
Eh, I use it. All the probability stuff is customizable. You do it by attaching LFOs to the density controls on the back and then adjust them on the front. You can eleminate all probability for a start and then add from subtly to wild.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

jens wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:48 pm That's the thing they should learn - if they want to keep selling me REs, they better make sure I'll want to keep using the DAW in the long run - offering me the rack as a plugin is not enough. They have a sale right now and I was thinking "nah, with the prospect of R12 being just that you can keep them...". Perhaps it's just me, but I will never purchase more REs in order to use them in other hosts via the Rack plugin - but nice try, Props.... :tu:
I'm not crazy into REs, I only have a few that I've paid actual money for and, for the most part, those are all Props REs. Props does some things very well. I think their FM synth is quite interesting and I'm demoing it now. So buying them to use in another DAW is a very real prospect for me. I quite like the rack as an abstraction and with 12 bringing customizable combinators, I'm even more interested. I really can't emphasize that enough. I've wanted a useful combinator plugin that allows rapid definition of a user U/I for some time. I've posted on KVR about it. I used to use Synthedit for this in the 32 bit days but they dropped support for loading VSTs. Bidule is stable, but lacks the kind of polish that I'm looking for. Props are masters of that polish, that is their thing. My plugins in 11 seem to perform better than in 10 and so I can see the Reason Rack becoming my new subhost. If they would add VST3 support it would be just about perfect.

Sure, you can't sell them. To tell you the truth though, that turns out to be practically true about a vast number of plugins. My AAS-VA1 is still for sale for $100, any takers? Upgrades, outdated technology, other factors, all contribute to something becoming unsellable after some period of time. The non-sale policy causes me to be conservative, yes. It's not a good way to generate sales from people with a risk-averse streak, that's for damn sure. But, I'm over sweating about whether it's a waste of money because I can't sell it. It's a small amount of money in the big scheme of things and I can't be assed to sell most things that I don't use. Anyone want to buy my two copies of Cubase 10.something, I can't remember the exact version as I've just stopped using it.

I like the Reason DAW for a lot of reasons. It is, hands down, my most productive environment for quasi-linear (non-live) UDM production. I have found nothing that I like more than Blocks for creating repeating structures with non-repeating structures overlaid on top. It's not that I think that conceptually it's the best idea, it's that I'm super productive with it. I would love to see more improvement in the DAW. That said, I absolutely will continue to support props just for the rack as VST. The usability of their synths within the context of the rack is successful at getting me to spend more money per plugin than many/most other vendors.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”