Room Reverb vs. stylistic Reverb

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRer
3 posts since 28 Feb, 2021

Post Mon May 17, 2021 9:06 am

Ok guys, i wan't to finally get these questions out of the way. :help:

I learned a lot about reverb and how to (not) use it. I'm mostly making three buses with different pre-delays depending on BPM. But from there it gets more complicated and everyone is saying something different.
I'm producing Pop-Style Beats, Rapbeats and Dark/Melodic Techno.

1. Is it necessary to give a room even to clearly electronic music?
2. Does the predelay have to fit the BPM, or is it just Front the most predelay and back the least?
3. Do you guys use different reverb VST for front, center, back? (Like spring, Plate etc.)
4. On which stuff can i just not kick any of the reverbs? Does that f**k up the room im trying to set?

And probably the most important question, as most of the stuff I do is Techno, How would i add these atmospheric long reverb tails without putting the instrument in the wrong room or pushing it back in general? If I'd achieve that, would it still go into one of the Room-Reverb buses afterwards?

Let me know how you handle it, and tell me you struggled with that a long time (and tell me it is more simple that it seems to me right now.... :ud: )

KVRist
342 posts since 25 Aug, 2019

Post Mon May 17, 2021 1:21 pm

You need to use some kind of ambience reverb on purely dry sounds, doesn't have to be a room, otherwise they will sound "in your face". Problem with samples is that they usually have some reverb on them, so it's not enough to know how to configure reverb, but also understand it in existing sounds. There are some rules of thumb for live music like these every mixing engineer learn, but don't think this works for electronic music. Every genre of electronic music has its own rules. For example techno, does it lives inside a room like a band playing in a bar? Not sure... Maybe a lush plate or hall will be more suitable.

KVRer

Topic Starter

3 posts since 28 Feb, 2021

Post Tue May 18, 2021 8:46 am

roman.i wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:21 pm
You need to use some kind of ambience reverb on purely dry sounds, doesn't have to be a room, otherwise they will sound "in your face". Problem with samples is that they usually have some reverb on them, so it's not enough to know how to configure reverb, but also understand it in existing sounds. There are some rules of thumb for live music like these every mixing engineer learn, but don't think this works for electronic music. Every genre of electronic music has its own rules. For example techno, does it lives inside a room like a band playing in a bar? Not sure... Maybe a lush plate or hall will be more suitable.
I always go for dry samples and when producing techno I almost only use Samples for Drums, Rest are Synths or Sample-Based VST (Xpand for example). So there should'nt be the problem...

I know most of those dont work for electronic music, but how should one handle it there so the mix doesnt get muddy?

Return to “Effects”