Favorite versatile reverb?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

3703 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Mon May 17, 2021 9:19 pm

TIMT wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:14 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:01 pm
jens wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:18 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:48 am
After demoing all these plugins, I feel that the simpler the GUI and options, the better it will be for my head to work with it. We already have tons of complicated things to handle in music making already. :)
So that would really be the Sonsig then... it's amazing how they managed to lay out the controls for the underlying complex archicture so that it's a breeze and joy to tweak - one of its tricks is that apparently each of the 10 "sizes" uses a different algorithm. That in combination with the "time" control (RT60 practically) already allows so much versatility. Then there's the ensemble, the three "characters" (different envelopes basically), the three render modes, the Tilt and Diffusion controls, yadda yadda... and yet it isn't a huge number of controls - one would be excused for looking at the GUI and assuming it's was more or less a one-trick-pony - and yet this could not be further away from the truth.
Wow, Sonsig Rev-A sounds amazing indeed. I had seen it before, but never really paid attention. Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the video you posted above by Sean Divine and it sounds beautiful. GUI is nice with simple and easy controls. Something worth considering. It was 50% off earlier this month, so would need to wait for a similar deal. Relab LX480 Essentials are $35 right now, but guess that's not worth bothering about.

I will definitely demo it today and compare it with Pro-R, because I am liking that one too. One problem with Relab plugins is the need for iLok software and then $25 fee it at all I want to resell it.
"Not worth bothering about"lmao..mate, Relab's Lexicon model is the defacto model and at $35, you are essentially robbing them. it sounds god damn phenomenal if you are just looking for something that is zero fuss, but brings a lot to the table in terms of sound. If it does even a 10th of what the complete version does, it's worth every penny
Sorry to hurt your sentiments, but I did not like what I heard in the audio demos. Nothing special. I do understand they are like industry-standard models, but that doesn't mean I should consider it. If you are looking for those specific models, this is an amazing deal indeed. I do agree that is very simple and straightforward.

The reason I said that is because it would not satisfy my intention. After spending $35 on that, I'd still be looking for a versatile reverb and it definitely cannot replace something like Pro-R, for example.

KVRAF
20837 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Mon May 17, 2021 9:45 pm

TIMT wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:14 pm
"Not worth bothering about"lmao..mate, Relab's Lexicon model is the defacto model and at $35, you are essentially robbing them. it sounds god damn phenomenal if you are just looking for something that is zero fuss, but brings a lot to the table in terms of sound. If it does even a 10th of what the complete version does, it's worth every penny
lol... coming from the same guy who dismissed the Sonsig by claiming it wasn't versatile enough...
dude, you crack me up!

KVRAF
20837 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Mon May 17, 2021 10:02 pm

LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:01 pm
Wow, Sonsig Rev-A sounds amazing indeed. I had seen it before, but never really paid attention. Thanks for the suggestion.
Gladly! I got it during a sale too, expecting something nice that has a few variations of "its sound" but now it's my GoTo, because it always sounds fantastic, comes with a great and versatile collection of presets as starting points (which are crafted in a way that teaches you how to get this or that sound), is easy too tweak, a joy to look at, not too high CPU-consumption, yadda yadda... and it really [almost) does it all - basically it still keeps blowing me away. Their other plugins emulate exactly one piece of hardware, but here they went wild and highly creative by combining several bits (from a 224, a Solina String Ensemble, a Gyraf G23, a Quantec Yardstick) into an unique processsor that is more than the sum of its parts - I think it might be one of the most underrated plugins - not underrated by the reviewers, but it hardly gets a mention in threads like these.


Normally I stay out of these reverb threads, but since you specifically asked for versatility and mentioned H-Reverb (which I have and love) I thought it might serve a purpose to chime in with my two cent.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

3703 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Mon May 17, 2021 11:21 pm

jens wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:02 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:01 pm
Wow, Sonsig Rev-A sounds amazing indeed. I had seen it before, but never really paid attention. Thanks for the suggestion.
Gladly! I got it during a sale too, expecting something nice that has a few variations of "its sound" but now it's my GoTo, because it always sounds fantastic, comes with a great and versatile collection of presets as starting points (which are crafted in a way that teaches you how to get this or that sound), is easy too tweak, a joy to look at, not too high CPU-consumption, yadda yadda... and it really [almost) does it all - basically it still keeps blowing me away. Their other plugins emulate exactly one piece of hardware, but here they went wild and highly creative by combining several bits (from a 224, a Solina String Ensemble, a Gyraf G23, a Quantec Yardstick) into an unique processsor that is more than the sum of its parts - I think it might be one of the most underrated plugins - not underrated by the reviewers, but it hardly gets a mention in threads like these.


Normally I stay out of these reverb threads, but since you specifically asked for versatility and mentioned H-Reverb (which I have and love) I thought it might serve a purpose to chime in with my two cent.
That's great to know, thanks again. I am certainly impressed with it, but I will demo it today. I can only get one between Pro-R and Sonsig Rev-A, so I better spend time with them and take the right call. There's no hurry, so can wait for a good sale.

Hope either of these will compliment H-Reverb well, which I should be evaluating myself too, of course.

Yeah, my intention with this topic was probably different than generic questions about reverbs and just getting a list of them. I tried to give some context in my original post for the same reason. I am glad I got so many useful replies that made posting the topic well worth it. Although some people would be still thinking why...

KVRAF
1853 posts since 22 Mar, 2002 from Timisoara, Romania

Post Tue May 18, 2021 12:10 am

xenoverb
the most versatile I could find:)
https://www.audiority.com/shop/xenoverb/
very underappreciated I feel...

dont get me wrong- I love B2- it sounds amazing - but it eats CPU like mad.
and the interface is - well - a lot...
not suitable for my works- only for final renders hehe...

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

3703 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Tue May 18, 2021 1:26 am

wakax wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:10 am
xenoverb
the most versatile I could find:)
https://www.audiority.com/shop/xenoverb/
very underappreciated I feel...
Thanks, Xenoverb does look to be a versatile and easy to use plugin. I am demoing it atm. :)

KVRist
152 posts since 9 Oct, 2020

Post Tue May 18, 2021 2:43 am

Cinematic Rooms Pro, find a used copy. I'm not saying this is your best option, especially considering you're after something with a fast workflow. Just that no one's said it yet and it's definitely versatile. Some might even say the best there is at the moment.

I've been using Nimbus, R4 and Sonsig, and I can say honestly that I'd consider selling the Sonsig, only because I'd turn around and buy the whole Relab bundle because I'm so impressed. Unfortunately I can't do that quite yet as I've got some other priorities which somehow matter more than more reverbs, like new tires. And a new computer. But I agree with jens - Sonsig sounds fantastic and is very quick to dial in, so much so that it's the first thing I load up when I want "a reverb" even though it's 12% of my CPU.

I can get a sound I like in 10 seconds or less (which is amazing), and spend another minute to get one that sits better and feels better in Nimbus or R4 - but another couple of adjustments to the Sonsig and then it's as good or better than the EA! For having no direct control over ERs, it does "realistic" surprisingly well, enough to meet your needs so long as you're not doing foley for an almost empty scene. And for more obvious reverbs it fits the bill well there, also. The ensemble effect does sound very nice, and the default sound of Sonsig does include a subtle oscillation - not enough to ruin a clean sound but enough to enrich a piano or whatever you put through it.

Nimbus and R4 can also be dialled in quickly, but to really get the sound you want out of them you need to get your hands dirty with the ERs and reverb envelope. Sonsig has pretty much taken care of that, and the sound... warm, enveloping, clear, very good. Pro-R I've not demo'd long enough, but I haven't been as blown away by its sound despite absolutely loving the UI. Combine the UI of Pro-R's decay controls and 2c Precedence's positional placement with the ER functionality of MTR/CRP/Nimbus and the sound of LiquidSonics/Relab, and you have the perfect everything, in my book. The reverb.

KVRAF
28404 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue May 18, 2021 3:00 am

Now all the OP has to do is choose one of the hundreds of options which have been suggested. ;)

iZotope have a good bundle on sale ATM, by the way: https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/deals.html Includes Exponential Audio's R2, PhoenixVerb and Excalibur.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

3703 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Tue May 18, 2021 4:16 am

E_Anderson wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:43 am
Cinematic Rooms Pro, find a used copy. I'm not saying this is your best option, especially considering you're after something with a fast workflow. Just that no one's said it yet and it's definitely versatile. Some might even say the best there is at the moment.

I've been using Nimbus, R4 and Sonsig, and I can say honestly that I'd consider selling the Sonsig, only because I'd turn around and buy the whole Relab bundle because I'm so impressed...
Thanks for your suggestion. Just looking at Cinematic Rooms Pro does not make me that comfortable, so I have given up on the LiquidSonics ones even if they are better.

Good to know that you are enjoying Sonsig Rev-A. I am going to test it against Pro-R today. These two are the main candidates I am going to focus on now, assuming I could get a used copy of Nimbus/R4 or Xenoverb for cheap quite easily, which I believe I should be able to if I want.

I remembered Wizoo's Wizooverb W2 today. Man, those fun days when I started with music production and pirated almost every plugin out there (until I got back to buying everything that I have now). Wizoo and 2CAudio reverbs were my favourite during those days.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

3703 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Tue May 18, 2021 4:17 am

chk071 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:00 am
Now all the OP has to do is choose one of the hundreds of options which have been suggested. ;)
iZotope have a good bundle on sale ATM, by the way: https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/deals.html Includes Exponential Audio's R2, PhoenixVerb and Excalibur.
Haha ;)

Thanks, I did see that today, and while the deal is a no-brainer, I thought I'd pickup R4 or Nimbus for cheap instead. I do have everything else that I need from that collection, and honestly, don't use anything of that. :)

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

3703 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Tue May 18, 2021 7:04 am

So, I am testing out Sonsig Rev-A right now and while I like the sound (especially how the tail decays), the plugin isn't behaving properly in FL Studio. The plugin is occasionally freezing FL's GUI along with its own and it becomes non-responsive for few seconds, which prevents me from touching/changing the controls. Also, I need to enable "use fixed size buffers" in wrapper settings otherwise I am getting audio glitches during playback and when changing controls while music is playing.

So, unfortunately, it looks like there is some issue with FL Studio and I will need to remove this plugin from my list.

OTOH, Nimbus and Pro-R are sounding great to me and stable as any other plugins, so choice becomes easier for me now.

KVRist
152 posts since 9 Oct, 2020

Post Tue May 18, 2021 8:29 am

LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:04 am
So, I am testing out Sonsig Rev-A right now and while I like the sound (especially how the tail decays), the plugin isn't behaving properly in FL Studio.
Yes, higher CPU loads have that interaction with the GUI freezing up in FL Studio, also that you must enable fixed buffers if you’re not using it on a send. However, barring the freezing issue (this is the main reason its 12% CPU usage bugs me as it pushes me closer to the laggy-GUI threshold), it works perfectly with fixed size buffers. Don’t even need that when on a send/in patcher, which you may want to do for ducking (something Nimbus/R4 have built-in),

Nimbus, you’ll want to wait for a $29 sale from Plugin Boutique, which happens every 2-ish months give or take some, unless you don’t mind paying a little extra for iLok.

Also, you can extend the duration of your Pro-R trial using their covid extension request link, if you want.

KVRAF
3365 posts since 30 May, 2006 from Hollow Earth

Post Tue May 18, 2021 8:39 am

wakax wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:10 am
xenoverb
the most versatile I could find:)
https://www.audiority.com/shop/xenoverb/
very underappreciated I feel...

dont get me wrong- I love B2- it sounds amazing - but it eats CPU like mad.
and the interface is - well - a lot...
not suitable for my works- only for final renders hehe...
Indeed a wonderful reverb.
Diva - Dune - Omnisphere - Serum - Spire

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

3703 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Tue May 18, 2021 8:46 am

E_Anderson wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:29 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:04 am
So, I am testing out Sonsig Rev-A right now and while I like the sound (especially how the tail decays), the plugin isn't behaving properly in FL Studio.
Yes, higher CPU loads have that interaction with the GUI freezing up in FL Studio, also that you must enable fixed buffers if you’re not using it on a send. However, barring the freezing issue (this is the main reason its 12% CPU usage bugs me as it pushes me closer to the laggy-GUI threshold), it works perfectly with fixed size buffers. Don’t even need that when on a send/in patcher, which you may want to do for ducking (something Nimbus/R4 have built-in),

Nimbus, you’ll want to wait for a $29 sale from Plugin Boutique, which happens every 2-ish months give or take some, unless you don’t mind paying a little extra for iLok.

Also, you can extend the duration of your Pro-R trial using their covid extension request link, if you want.
Yeah, but I just couldn't stand it to be honest. Just left a bad impression and enough for me to uninstall it after about 30 mins. No plugin in my collection causes such issues.

I will pick up Nimbus if I find it cheap. R4 has some extra features that I probably don't need. Nimbus itself has more knobs than needed.

Yeah, I will be extending the Pro-R trials until I reach a point when I can afford it, either during a sale or second hand. Thanks.

KVRist
152 posts since 9 Oct, 2020

Post Tue May 18, 2021 8:58 am

R4 is generally a less dense set of algorithms, which can net a clearer result, but I find I still load up Nimbus and just use less diffusion more often than not. And for more obvious effects reverb, generally Sonsig, but R4’s modulation does sound good, it’s just comparatively reserved. Also, the EA reverbs are some where especially at higher reverb times, the parameter value doesn’t always match what you hear, which will often be shorter. Generally speaking, super long tails aren’t what they want to do anyway. They excel at realistic spatialization and depth.

Return to “Effects”