Chord progressions and song structure

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

it's hilarious, the delivery, the truth of it. REO Speedwagon made me laugh kind of too loudly.
"It's sad, really"
'short history is lesser identity' is the point of that. One guy chimed in to call that intellectual elitism, because it ignored half a dozen people working in the 20th century.

American musical culture is not nothing, but its roots are as much Africa as 'North America'.

vurt wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:59 pm don't stop believin!
ARF

jancivil wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:15 pm the truth of it.
Yes, there is was, and the causal way of expressing it.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

jancivil wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:13 pm I kind of wish it was something one could teach but I couldn't say how I got there.
This is why a lot of the jazz theory {nb., chord/scale theory} bugs me, because it's a lot of words you'd have in your head that are a waste of your mental CPU cycles while you're trying to do the thing in real time. But this could just mean I'm not as clever. ;)
Or maybe it means you are. I have had a few baby diseases as well when training composition, like murdering your own uniqueness because you begin treating own music like exam assigments, thinking it, instead of feeling, and involontary submit to conformity because you mistake guidelines for rules instead of good advices if you need cheap tricks because you get stuck. However, when doing exams there is a period of training that you have to go through no matter what. Even more so if you want good grades as I did.

Though there were not many other students to compare with. Composition was for people that did not played that well and that was me. Mediocre at best while the others went Chick Corea, Coltrane or wtf. At least our big band loved me because I always layed low with my keyboards, did always stay behind the orchester, so they were forward in the sound scape and did not solo in over a whole bloddy arrangement like some young instrumentalist heroes did. The Big Band hated it, and I did not even dare to make solos until my last year at school. Thus, I was welcome there though my playing skills were limited.
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Tue May 18, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

actually I had my confusion regarding the deleted threads confused. I think. I remember the magic 1-3 scale crap being removed, it was the 7th chord in harmonic minor thread that vanished and I don't know why. Lot of use value down the drain there.

Yeah, the removal of that thread may have had something to do with a conflict between a mod and member elsewhere. I am not sure, though.
Mod Edit wrote:nope, thread became too hpc, went to hpc...it was there 7 days to gather any info wanted

was someone banned? I have to say something here. The conspiracy theory aspect of the 12th is purer than the octave thread could even be HPC kind of shit. The 7th in harmonic minor is controversial HOW? Are we talking about the same thing? Why would anyone assume, ok the information is going to be deleted because someone has an unknown problem and we'll have known to look at HPC for it? Bull f**king shit. Good thing I can decide not to care, but this is deranged (or let's not assume more than ineptitude).

"because you begin treating own music like exam assigments,"
I saw that danger right away because I was insecure, I knew I was and vulnerable to authority like that. "No Species for me, thanks." I had the one elective for a few weeks before dropping out which will have been write something along strict guidelines and it was rows, and iirc subrows like the Webern six-note and split rows (there's a better term for it but my memory is pretty shot).

I'd bet my guess of what it entailed was pretty wrong, as my experience with it was composition major was for fully-formed geniuses. truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I knew one fully-formed genius (who actually made it as a composer) and he wasn't in Honors Theory. He'd be special af if he was allowed to skip theory I think.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue May 18, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

K, I thought mods didn't like 7th chords in a minor scale... ;)
Mod Edit wrote:I only know three chords

I'll be elsewhere presently

Mod Edit wrote:nope, thread became too hpc, went to hpc...it was there 7 days to gather any info wanted
Oh, I did not notice. Think I was lost in a somewhat foolish discussion about the difference between jazz and classical music, though it seemed over when the thread went hpc.

If I break my song-writing down to as simple as it gets: What I write first normally ends up being the peak/best part/chorus, then I work backwards and write a less satisfying part than leads into the first part, and that becomes the verse. So then with those two parts I've got a lazy song, I can go; Instrumental chorus (for the intro), double length verse, chorus, verse, double length chorus, solo over either verse or chorus), double length chorus to finish. Then I start adding things to make it less lazy. I might write a proper well designed intro, I might put an instrumental bridge after the first chorus, I might write a entirely different middle 8 rather than a solo, I might slot a proper build-up/pre-chorus between the verse and the chorus, I might put an outro on the end.
But yeah, two parts and you can be done, the other stuff is extras.
Last edited by an-electric-heart on Wed May 19, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:56 pm
Oh, I did not notice. Think I was lost in a somewhat foolish discussion about the difference between jazz and classical music, though it seemed over when the thread went hpc.
pretty sure someone has conflated the two things; the former of these in HPC was in there for a bit, could be seven days... my bet is the latter was deleted for no good reason. If there was some way off shit (there was no seven days btfw) why not delete the offending bits.

:roll:

thursday that thread was removed, after id replied to tribe.

just checked when he pmed to ask me if i knew why it had gone.

jancivil wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:48 am
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:56 pm
pretty sure someone has conflated the two things; the former of these in HPC was in there for a bit, could be seven days... my bet is the latter was deleted for no good reason. If there was some way off shit (there was no seven days btfw) why not delete the offending bits.

:roll:
jan it's totally possible and if that happened I apologize, I am but one person...as for going through one by one please go to fx and and the latest ik thread and see that doesnt work either...I spend my time putting out stupid fires that need not be lit. Sadly (and Meffy noted this as well0, we dont have a method to check multiple posts to delete...it's one at a time, then start all over...threads yes, move multiple posts yes, (yes I have made dummie folders) but it can be time consuming...forgive me, I'm only human :oops:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

jancivil wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:48 am pretty sure someone has conflated the two things;
True. I forgot. It never went HPC, that was the music revolution thread. It was zapped into oblivion. As Vurt wrote, we were a little confused, and I made Vurt believe in a theory, which was not true. Human mind: If someone is dead, there must be a reason. Plz tell, so we don't go down trying to figure it :lol: :party:

Return to “Music Theory”