Presonus Studio One 5.2 vs Cubase 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

I really enjoy Cubase's media bay and ability to click mouse 3 to drag to scroll the tracks. I know Studio One 5 can do the same dragging with autohotkey, but, I would prefer it to be baked into the daw.

chk071 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:53 pm the feature clutter of Cakewalk.
Could you elaborate on this please? I don’t find Cakewalk has feature clutter personally?

dickiefunk wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:47 am
chk071 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:53 pm the feature clutter of Cakewalk.
Could you elaborate on this please? I don’t find Cakewalk has feature clutter personally?
I found the GUI and menus pretty busy, and I also found that, for most functions, there are 2 or 3 ways to achieve them. Admittedly, I haven't spend that much time with it though, just stating how it fels like using it. Studio One really feels much more simple.

Ah thankyou for your explanation and sharing your experience.
I've tried both and find them to be about the same. Some things are more intuitive in Studio One and others are in Cakewalk. Will need to explore a little more.

worldshaker wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:37 am I really enjoy Cubase's media bay and ability to click mouse 3 to drag to scroll the tracks. I know Studio One 5 can do the same dragging with autohotkey, but, I would prefer it to be baked into the daw.
What you mean? You don't need any additional software to scroll and drag tracks in S1. It's all native, 'baked into the DAW' too.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:28 pm
worldshaker wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:37 am I really enjoy Cubase's media bay and ability to click mouse 3 to drag to scroll the tracks. I know Studio One 5 can do the same dragging with autohotkey, but, I would prefer it to be baked into the daw.
What you mean? You don't need any additional software to scroll and drag tracks in S1. It's all native, 'baked into the DAW' too.
I think they ment holding the scroll wheel down and panning around seamlessly in horizontal and vertical directions.

wuworld wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:44 pm Studio One is more for the modern users. Studio One has done a better job of adjusting to where the market is today. Steinberg is content with just catering to the same customer base from 30 years ago. It's a reason you don't see many young upcoming producers/engineers using Cubase compared to Live/Logic/FL Studio.
I think the copy protection has more to do with that. I see pirated Studio one everywhere. No one is pirating Cubase.

If someone pirates and kearns on Studio One, there is almost no chance they will switch to Cubase when they decide to buy - especially given the cost disparities. PreSonus had more discount promotions that Steinberg.

Lastly, AudioBox interfaces are relatively popular among upstarts, ship with Studio One Artist, and give you a de facto $100 discount on Studio One Pro via upgrade.

I think your conclusion about Cubase is off base (sic.). They do innovate. They just have matured to the point where there is less room for it. DAWs like Studio One are newer with less in there, so updates and upgrades will naturally seem bigger because there are more solved problems for them to implement in their software.

This becomes an advantage in Cubase when your needs are outside of the mainstream. For example, if you do a lot of film post or film scoring, then these "features for old guys" suddenly rocket to the fire and become significant competitive advantages over Studio One.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Presonus still doesn't support midi nrpn's right? Cubase has real midi support. I use S1 quite frequently, almost everyday I'd say,yet it still doesn't have a proper midi/ or browser support for tagging user content like Cubase, and for content creators, this is a must have in 2021,so I have to rely on 3rd party apps, that never integrate as well, as a daw like Cubase does. They (Presonus) really need to fix this by now.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Trensharo wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:34 pm This becomes an advantage in Cubase when your needs are outside of the mainstream. For example, if you do a lot of film post or film scoring, then these "features for old guys" suddenly rocket to the fire and become significant competitive advantages over Studio One.
It's great work if you can get it! But it's a niche within a niche. I don't imagine it's a very large chunk of their business. Especially when DP is hogging a good portion of that custom.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:39 am
Trensharo wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:34 pm This becomes an advantage in Cubase when your needs are outside of the mainstream. For example, if you do a lot of film post or film scoring, then these "features for old guys" suddenly rocket to the fire and become significant competitive advantages over Studio One.
It's great work if you can get it! But it's a niche within a niche. I don't imagine it's a very large chunk of their business. Especially when DP is hogging a good portion of that custom.
Cubase and Logic are two top DAWs used in scoring. Reaper and Studio One are on second place, slowly gathering bigger and bigger crowd.
Post Pro: ProTools and Nuendo.
For video games it's Nuendo (AAA developers), and Reaper for reasons that I'll never understand besides "it's free" - yes, this excuse is common in professional audio for games world 🤷‍♂️
DP I see very rarely mentioned in Post Pro and in scoring even rarer.

Studio One has the advantage of being a new DAW. So any feature they add, they do it in a more elegant and easy way without the risk of breaking something along the way. I use both and for me in some ways Cubase feels clunky and old but at the same time feels more complete and mature.
It is really hard for them to change things without breaking others unless they stop firing updates every year and do a complete rewrite.

andypryce wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:11 am Studio One has the advantage of being a new DAW. So any feature they add, they do it in a more elegant and easy way without the risk of breaking something along the way. I use both and for me in some ways Cubase feels clunky and old but at the same time feels more complete and mature.
It is really hard for them to change things without breaking others unless they stop firing updates every year and do a complete rewrite.
Yep, and people want them to rewrite audio engine completely to get gapless audio with the risk of FU latency compensation which is amazing and rock solid in Cubase. Then they will complain that they need another 3 big updates to get it work as intended. Some Cubase users don't understand how easily Cubase can be broken.

EnGee wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:18 am Yes. Although I used only 3 synths and Battery 4, but one of the synths was Reaktor synth and Cubase is not that good with Reaktor, so the result was less CPU in Studio One and the CPU indicator is more stable (not like in Cubase dancing all the times!).
Maybe you should actually tune your nvidia and windows 10 setup, as you mentioned above was required.

I've used Reaktor in Cubase for years on windows and haven't noticed any spiking like you suggest here.

_leras wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:57 am
EnGee wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:18 am Yes. Although I used only 3 synths and Battery 4, but one of the synths was Reaktor synth and Cubase is not that good with Reaktor, so the result was less CPU in Studio One and the CPU indicator is more stable (not like in Cubase dancing all the times!).
Maybe you should actually tune your nvidia and windows 10 setup, as you mentioned above was required.

I've used Reaktor in Cubase for years on windows and haven't noticed any spiking like you suggest here.
Well, now with the new processor (5800X), there is no real problems or spikes. Yes, it needs some nVidia settings adjustment and some other things, like disabling OneDrive (pausing) and it works only with 128 (sample rate) and above.

Anyway, the main reasons that I use Cubase (or used!) is because of:
1.Familiarity: I'm most familiar with Cubase because I spent more years with it.
2.Score editor: I needed that when I was learning Music Theory, but now I'm not so in notation and staff. Just reading about Chords and scales in general.
3. Drums patterns Review in the browser: Drumming is not my strong point. So, in case of Rock, Funk and others, I just use midi files I buy from the net. Cubase (S1 and Reaper also) allows me to review such files and change kits till I find the best combo.

The above reasons begin to fade away with time! After spending enough time learning other DAWs, I become as good as in Cubase with them! Currently I'm using Bitwig/Live and can't say I'm missing Cubase or S1! I finally begin to explore the drums programming and learning the advantages of Drum Racks in Live (and Drum Machines in Bitwig, they are almost the same). The most important thing is they are much better in CPU usage and in general faster opening/closing. I'm using 64 sample rate with Live/Bitwig and leave OneDrive running! No need to adjust anything in nVidia.

Currently I'm listing Cubase + Halion for sell here in NZ (TradeMe). I will keep S1 however, but still not my main DAW as I feel great with Bitwig/Live (one for the day and one for the night :hihi: ).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”