Found 'pleeny' presets in BlueCat Axiom's 'Legends' folder...

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Axiom

I really like them, but thought 'Who or what is pleeny?' Emerging from
isolation, I googled pleeny guitar, and became aware. At 3:50 of this
video, there begins a show-closing dueling-guitars stint with bandmate Jake, the
bearded wonder, prog rock I guess? But now I know it's Australia's Plini, and lot's of videos, and I'm really daft concerning modern players, but Bluecat Axiom expands my world view, and let's me mimic a bit with cool sound, as I try to keep up with the speed.

Plini is playing a sawed-off guitar vs Jake's 'normal' headstocked axe.
Even more things to google :hyper: Anyone here have or used one of those new-fangled instruments? (Axiom demo has periodic sound fadeouts, no IK bursts, if in the market for a decent suite. Their Destructor and Late Replies are included, and it also hosts 3rd party vsts, so quite useful, even if they mis-spelt Plini's name :wink:
Cheers

https://youtu.be/PDS7Jhrec8M

Bass player has one of those new fangled guitars too? Where do you tune them?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

After a tiny google, they are Strandberg guitars, looks like the tuners are on the bottom end, recessed as needed. Found the 'entry level model at Sweetwater,
$1495, but I don't think it's overpriced, after reading up on it

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gundy-mist

https://youtu.be/SShCu8JSqVk

The Plini Signature model might be a harder to find...

Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Fri May 14, 2021 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

I play a Steinberger headless guitar. Love it and changing strings is a breeze as they have a ball on each end, just drop them in no winding.

Tuning is done from the end of the tailpiece.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I have two headless basses (an old Kramer Duke and a Lefay 5 string) and I love them. I'm more of a guitarist than bass player so maybe it's their compactness I like. There must be close to 20cm difference in overall length compared to the Precision I used to use. I find this invaluable as I often play at my desk these days and with the Precision I always felt I was going to clatter something with the headstock. It also helps that the Lefay is just a great bass!

GuitarCenter's Steinberger's new/used prices between $320-$900, but only mid-range(?) shown as new stock, $400 or $450. Tempted to ask if they are only vst3i
or if effects version can also be downloaded :wink:
...but won't give in to the temptation. :hihi:

Glad that you found them! :tu: The misspelling is on purpose, as we cannot use actual names. It seemed it would be clear enough when reading it loud... Plini is indeed a great guitar player, with a tone of his own (great delays on leads)!

There are a couple of other famous people hidden behind the "Guitar Legends" presets... Have you guessed who is hidden behind the "Purple Lady", "Evil Suede" or "Mike" who cannot dance? :)

I'm just woefully ignorant about modern music and those who make it,
and lack the time and motivation to change that. In the past 15 years
or so, the only artists/musicians who've grabbed my attention enough to
occasionally take an extended listen to, are The Gipsy Kings, Imogen Heap,
Lord Huron, The Rippingtons, and Lari Basilio. The sounds that are at our fingertips, and those we can create with current software and gear, tend to negate my need to know what fun others are having and providing for happy fans.

I love wedging great tones like Axiom provides, between a backward and forward delay, with some sublety, it's great to accompany film scores on the movie channels.
Cheers

img.jpg
I had an Ibanez IMG 2020 back in the 80's

Honestly fastest string change time and stayed in tune for days.
Also didn't and still don't like the tone headless guitars. Not especially comfortable to play.
But hey, it had midi so I had to have it. It took me decades to stop chasing midi guitars but this was my first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

To me it's shape is ugly, but Mr. Strandergs Sweetwater interview speaking of ergonomics and hardware choices was convincing, but at the price, I'd need to play it to believe it.
Strandberg-Standard.png

https://youtu.be/SShCu8JSqVk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

glokraw wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:43 pm To me it's shape is ugly, but Mr. Strandergs Sweetwater interview speaking of ergonomics and hardware choices was convincing, but at the price, I'd need to play it to believe it.

Strandberg-Standard.png
It's definitely not your traditional Strat, Tele or LP, but it has a character of its own!

A bump to mention BlueCat have a free but substantial upgrade for those who bought the Axiom amp-effects suite, and they also a heavily discounted cross-grade offer to their Re-Guitar pickup and acoustic plugin, for the same lucky souls.
Cheers

Thanks for the bump :-)

Since we often get asked about it, we decided to write a blog post explaining the hidden gems that make Axiom stand out from traditional effects processors. Even if you already use it, you might learn a few things that will help you get the best out of Axiom!

I admit I haven't tried the tonemaps capabilities, and your blog post is like the noir movie where the guy in the corner says, 'Hey, buddy, the good stuff is in the backroom, follow me...' There's so much out in the main showroom, that I'm thinking, 'Backroom? There's a backroom?!?' :hyper:

glokraw wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:04 pm https://youtu.be/PDS7Jhrec8M

Wow... that's bad! :shock: :-o

To me that mostly sounds like random noise - it's like these guys practized shredding up and down some scales for a while and now vainlessly seek a way to make some creative use of that skill just because...

Surprised that it's apparently enough to coax some enthusiasm out of people these days... :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Guitars”