Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Does anyone else notice that this causes a huge extra lag in booting up your DAW?

Can't confirm this (REAPER 6.29).

mixyguy2 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:24 pm Does anyone else notice that this causes a huge extra lag in booting up your DAW?
Are you putting the plugin resources in the VST Plugins folder? I've found that doing with any plugin will slow down load times in the DAW because it has to scan the skin and preset folders to make sure you didn't slip a VST .dll in there. For instance, moving my U-he resources from VST Plugins to Documents really cut down on DAW load times.

Not sure I follow. Whatever folder I put it in I will have to make sure my DAW scans, so how does putting it in another one change anything? PS this is an unusually huge lag I'm talking about, not the "ordinary" one the DAW has when scanning/picking up each plugin.

what's your daw and os?
If you are on windows and opted for a portable install and your daw is scanning all the presets that could be slow at rescan time I guess maybe? I think that's the point from Funkybot (and it is one of the reasons some people don't like the portable install).

Why would a DAW scan anything other than .dll and .vst3 ?
Scanning a plugin directory should take less than 0.1 second.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

I only scan the plugin folder when I add new plugins, but even then Surge is just as fast to scan as any other vst. Ableton live

Mutant wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:35 am Why would a DAW scan anything other than .dll and .vst3 ?
You'd think that but it's not always the case apparently.

Mutant wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:35 am Why would a DAW scan anything other than .dll and .vst3 ?
You're on a Mac and have AUs, VSTs, VST3s, AAXs, etc.? :hihi: There are also at least two locations for each plugin type. It's pointlessly confusing, but same as on the PC.

From testing various DAWs, both for use and as hosts for plugin dev, each one does the scan differently. Each plug in is fully loaded and "queried". The depth of this scan can be dependent on DAW and plugin format. I don't remember how many different plugins in different formats caused hangs and/or blowups. One VST plugin can work in every DAW but one, and in that one fail miserably.

But I tend to agree that the scanning should be for info only and should only take a fraction of a second. But hey, I don't run the DAW world...
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:10 pmYou're on a Mac and have AUs, VSTs, VST3s, AAXs, etc.?
I am on PC, my DAW of choice is REAPER.
It only fully scans a new plugin once, if it did that on every start, it would not be my DAW of choice anymore. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:25 pm
syntonica wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:10 pmYou're on a Mac and have AUs, VSTs, VST3s, AAXs, etc.?
I am on PC, my DAW of choice is REAPER.
It only fully scans a new plugin once, if it did that on every start, it would not be my DAW of choice anymore. :)
Oh! You were speaking about rescanning. I thought you were taking about the initial scan. NVM. :lol:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Anyway on startup surge builds the list of all its presets by scanning the factory directory but not
Opening the files just doing a directory traversal and in 1.9 it does that on the main thread. Wonder if that is it?

Im still not entirely sure which setup is slow and which action is slow from this thread though.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or an annoyance for just me since it shouldn't happen in the real world.

Using a mono bass patch, playing two overlapping notes at the same pitch is a fail. The second note gets offed when the first note ends and there's a big gap in sound where there should be a phat bass sound!

Yeah, I'm the fussy type! :lol:

If I play a passage legato, the overlaps are going to happen, but not on a single note--there will naturally be a note off followed by a note on. But if I'm editing and I decide I want two repeating notes and slide one in the piano roll to the proper pitch, I can get this behavior. I've never really paid attention--does this happen in all mono VSTs?. I can easily edit the offending note, but...

I'm off to test some more plugins to see how they handle it.

Wait if you overlap the same pitch, then there cannot be any sliding happening?

At any rate, don't think Surge is doing anything bad here, and from a quick test, Synth1, Dune, impOSCar, FM8... behave the same. It's basically this being received:

C3 note on, C3 note on, C3 note off, C3 note off. But since there's no memory of events per played key, first note off kills whatever was there before.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:05 pm Wait if you overlap the same pitch, then there cannot be any sliding happening?

At any rate, don't think Surge is doing anything bad here, and from a quick test, Synth1, Dune, impOSCar, FM8... behave the same. It's basically this being received:

C3 note on, C3 note on, C3 note off, C3 note off. But since there's no memory of events per played key, first note off kills whatever was there before.
I'm so used to treating the piano roll like fingerpainting, I forget it's supposed to be modeled on some reality that my brain refuses to accept. So, it's just me then, although I can't be the first person in the history of VSTs to complain about this! Can I? :lol:

Thanks!

Return to “Instruments”